Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boards.ie Daily forecasts thread

Options
  • 09-12-2010 6:30pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any chance that the forecasts thread could just be locked to the MOD's and MT himself ?

People are using it like a general thread and its becoming very clogged up, and by the looks of things it could be one of the busiest winters here in a while.

We should maybe then have a thread for discussion on the forecast but I think the forecast thread should just have MT's input upon it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

I could be wrong, but I get the impression M T llikes to mix with his fans and fellow weather worshippers, and I think that makes his forecasts more human, fluid and more relevant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

snow ghost wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I get the impression M T llikes to mix with his fans and fellow weather worshippers, and I think that makes his forecasts more human, fluid and more relevant.

Yeah I agree , but A discussions forums would be the best place for that , to look at the forecast now you must first wade through a heap of posts to find what your looking for .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

You may be right pistolpetes, especially if the extraneous posts are snowballing out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd second or third or 1000th that suggestion. Don't use that thread much for this exact reason. "where's the blessed forecast????? "

I'm sure it would not stifle discussion

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

snow ghost wrote: »
    You may be right pistolpetes, especially if the extraneous posts are snowballing out of control.

It does seem to be that case, and with the weather now the hot topic :o

I think we will have lots of new visitors to the weather forum who wont really know the format of the weather forum and it will end up one big mess .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

agreed. MT regularly contributes to other threads anywat. leave the great man's thread to himself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I agree that the forecast thread is getting too busy, and this idea of a parallel comments and discussion thread seems like the solution. It would probably need to be a locked thread for the forecast because the other solution, having moderators move posts, would probably not work in real time and would leave the thread cluttered. The one detail I would need to work out would be posting privileges for a few weather forum members on those occasions when a forecast update is required and I'm not around.

So bear with it for a few more days while we work this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

As long as we can still thank m.t.'s posts this is a great idea. One idea would be to have a specific thread for the discussion of m.t.'s forecasts, so forecasts would also be posted there and could be discussed, but they would also be easily accessible in the original forecast thread.

Edit: onyl realised now that the same thing had already been suggested . .doh! :o

Advertisement