Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to pursue computer programming career?programmers awnser only,no spaming tnx

• 09-12-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

Im very interested in geting into computer programing and found out i need my ECDL to go any where towards this career

Does anyone know of a good place to do it?
    Night and day courses,full time/Part time?
    Is there a fee to do this?

or should i just apply for college and do computer science?

im in two minds about going to college as i dont think i have the grades in my leaving,but willing to pay the fee to do it!

anyone who has gone either root???please reply!
    or ideas on how to get into COMPUTER PROGRAMING??

Thanks alot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Who told you you needed an ECDL for programming? Was it advice you got or a prerequisite for a particular course?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You don't need an ECDL to do programming but I recommend you have a knowledge and interest in computers before doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

Thats great lads
    i just wanted to find out if i needed it to go into college

but was wondering is there much chance of geting a job computer programming through self-thought languages such as java for example?

i have started studying it,definetly interested 100%.

Just checking out the best path to pursue it on??and how did anyone thats programming at the moment go about it?
    I think i should change the heading of this post!l.o.l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could always go indie like that Notch feller that coded Minecraft in Java. He's a millionaire.

Really though just know a language, Java is a good one. Companies seem to look for Java and C# more than anything else.

For College you just need your CAO or Mature Student application. Theres really no other prerequisite. ECDL is a bit of a joke, it's funny to slap onto a CV but I question who actually looks at it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

OP
    If you are serious about any IT career now, a good third level qualification is a must. The job market has changed since the good old days, the bar has been raised and the whole industry is now very professional.

Do a programming degree, it's a fantastic foundation. But bear in mind that entering into this game means life long learning as the whole kaboodle changes all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd suggest getting into a niche area that is up and coming such as Android or windows 7 mobile phone applications. You would normally have to go to college to get a programming career but if you were able to develop skills on platforms such as the mobile phone area then you might have a better chance as there are few people with this expertise.

Other areas which would be quicker to get into are silverlight / adobe Air / Flex programming, again specialized areas that don't have many skilled people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Overheal wrote: »
    ECDL is a bit of a joke, it's funny to slap onto a CV but I question who actually looks at it seriously.

I wouldn't say it's a joke, but it's not a relevant qualification for someone working in software development. ECDL just says you have basic computer literacy skills. It's a relevant qualification for someone working in administration.

If you want to try the self-taught route with Java, I think you'd have to do a certification course at the end of it (look up SCJP). Those courses can be pricey though.

However, since I get the feeling that you're only getting in to the whole computer area, I'd recommend you do a 3rd level course if you can get in. It's a steep learning curve and I think trying to teach yourself would be overwhelming. You could also end up teaching yourself a lot of bad habits and miss a lot of very important subject areas. If you immerse yourself in an environment with other enthusiasts you'll learn much quicker and build up a complete awareness of the current state of technologies, which is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CMARTY10

MIND MADE UP.I was going to go the route of just geting a certificate in java but why do that,i would only be handicapin myself when i can go through college doing what i want to do and unlike last year doing something i hated,ENGENEERING,It felt to simple to me.
    Learnig java on the side to get a head start.going to college in the new year,checked to see if i had the grades,spot on the average,just get in early with the CAO and should be fine,COLLEGE IT IS!/computing in a local nearby good college!sorted!until i go do any of you's know any good books to give me a raw idea on the maths,like binary etc that i'l be looking at in the future just to get to grips like!
    ALSO ANY GOOD BOOKS FOR PROGRAMING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CMARTY10 wrote: »
    just get in early with the CAO and should be fine

The CAO has nothing to do with order of entry. They work down from 600 Pts until such time as the course is full.

Doing Computer Science myself, enjoying it. Java and ARM Assembly right now. C/Eiffel/Python/Others to come.

If its something you have an interest in, go for it.

Advertisement