Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I just got an Irish Wolfhound.....

• 09-12-2010 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Have always wanted one - now I have one! Has anyone any advice for me? I got advice from the Vet about dog food. I have three other dogs, two retrievers and one Siberian Huskey. The retrievers are 5 & 17 years old, the Husky is 6 months - there was some commotion when he arrived!

Would love any advice for the newest member of our family. Before its asked, yes we have a lot of space and yes I know I am going to be broke from feeding him!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

mprop wrote: »
    Have always wanted one - now I have one! Has anyone any advice for me? I got advice from the Vet about dog food. I have three other dogs, two retreivers and one Hibernian Huskey. The retreivers are 5 & 17 years old, the Husky is 6 months - there was some commotion when he arrived!

Would love any advice for the newest member of our family. Before its asked, yes we have a lot of space and yes I know I am going to be broke from feeding him!
    Hiberian huskies never heard of that breed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

I don't have any advice for you but please put some pics up, i'd love a Irish Wolfhound!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I have a spare saddle with stirrups if you want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Heres what met me in the train station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Aw! He's gorgeous! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Im jealous would love one but 2 mastiffs are enough to feed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Oh wow, he's beautiful! I'm jealous. :o I always wanted one, they're such gentle giants.

Just keep an eye on his health, OP, giant breeds tend to come with complications as I'm sure you know. Keep him on a sound diet and I'm sure he'll be fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

Beautiful dog!! Keep the pics coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I bet the vet recommended Science Plan for he's food... they get commission off them...
    Far better options out there.... Arden Grange Burns and James Wellbeloved or BARF could be an option for such a big dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Lovely dog! I see one every now and then being lead around Galway City by its "new age traveller" owner. The guy actually has a dinner-bell type thing hung around the dog's neck :confused: Poor dog. I'm sure that's very loud and irritating for it and maybe it's just the breed but it has a miserable look on its face usually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Lovely dog! I see one every now and then being lead around Galway City by its "new age traveller" owner. The guy actually has a dinner-bell type thing hung around the dog's neck :confused: Poor dog. I'm sure that's very loud and irritating for it and maybe it's just the breed but it has a miserable look on its face usually.

I've seen that guy too, he has a couple of other smaller dogs as well, never on leads, always just wandering, the first time I thought the Wolfhound was a stray as he was eating out of a McDonalds carton outside a shop, I had a bit of a 'heated debate' with that guy about not letting his dogs wander, also he said he wouldn't get them neutered because he wouldn't do that to himself so why would he do it to his dogs!!! I had to just walk away from him, bloody hippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I've seen that guy too, he has a couple of other smaller dogs as well, never on leads, always just wandering, the first time I thought the Wolfhound was a stray as he was eating out of a McDonalds carton outside a shop, I had a bit of a 'heated debate' with that guy about not letting his dogs wander, also he said he wouldn't get them neutered because he wouldn't do that to himself so why would he do it to his dogs!!! I had to just walk away from him, bloody hippy.

I seen that dog on Tuesday, wasnt sure if he was a stray. There was a collie type dog wandering as well. Idiots.

That's the guy alright. Hard to miss him I suppose and there's usually a couple of other little dogs with the wolf hound. He did have one of the little ones on a rope one day which he was really yanking hard whenever it stopped for a sniff of the ground. Pr**k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭mcdoogle

There'd be a few red faces if the OP turned out to be the above mentioned hippy! As he's a new age hippy he may have new age gizmos such as internet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Heres what met me in the train station!

OMG how cute is he!! I have always wanted an Irish wolfhound but have only ever seen/played with fully grown ones, I had NO idea they are such cute puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

mcdoogle wrote: »
    There'd be a few red faces if the OP turned out to be the above mentioned hippy! As he's a new age hippy he may have new age gizmos such as internet! :D

Nah, our hippy 'friend' dog isn't a pup and has been around for a long long time, the first time I saw him was at least 18 months ago

Hi OP, just out of curiosity; how much does a wolf hound puppy cost? Don't answer if you don't want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

He is adorable! How old is he, he's huge!

Best of luck with him and keep the pics coming!

Hi OP, just out of curiosity; how much does a wolf hound puppy cost? Don't answer if you don't want to :)

Usually about €800. I have been talking about getting one for ages and my girlfriend suprised me with one for Christmas (he's not just for christmas!).

He is doing great, even when his tail is wagging and he is excited he still has the sad eyes! He is peeing and pooing on paper (a lot) all ready and he now responds to suí síos and leaba!

He is going to be an all Irish madra. Oscar Wilde is ainm do.

Yeah the Vet said to use Science Plan - Has anyone ever had a Wolfhound before and used an alternative? It is ridiculously expensive! Would love to buy a decent dog food by the 15k bag - something that will be good for him.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Nah, our hippy 'friend' dog isn't a pup and has been around for a long long time, the first time I saw him was at least 18 months ago

And no thats not me, although I do have red hair so if I am ever close to leather I look like a pikey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Usually about €800. I have been talking about getting one for ages and my girlfriend suprised me with one for Christmas (he's not just for christmas!).

He is doing great, even when his tail is wagging and he is excited he still has the sad eyes! He is peeing and pooing on paper (a lot) all ready and he now responds to suí síos and leaba!

He is going to be an all Irish madra. Oscar Wilde is ainm do.

Yeah the Vet said to use Science Plan - Has anyone ever had a Wolfhound before and used an alternative? It is ridiculously expensive! Would love to buy a decent dog food by the 15k bag - something that will be good for him.

The vet will always recommend Hills as they get commission for selling it:rolleyes: so dont feel you have to go with that. Whats your monthly budget for food and we can recommend something in that price range. I wouldnt recomend Hills at all. Ive had awful trouble with it with my dogs so will never feed or recommend it to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

andreac wrote: »
    The vet will always recommend Hills as they get commission for selling it:rolleyes: so dont feel you have to go with that. Whats your monthly budget for food and we can recommend something in that price range. I wouldnt recomend Hills at all. Ive had awful trouble with it with my dogs so will never feed or recommend it to anyone.

Yup the vet recommended it to me as well. Pure muck. Burns works well for my two. Before this I couldn't find one that worked for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Not sure about what's good for giant breeds but I have my two - a Basset hound and a collie/GSD cross (we think!) - on Robbies Lamb & Brown Rice from Land of Holistic Pets. It's not cheap (we go through a 10kg bag every 3 weeks!) but I've found it really good. They have a kibble range too called Luath.

Congratulations btw! He's just gorgeous :) He looked so sad at the train station though! Probably a bit freaked by the journey I suppose. The pic of him on his bed is beautiful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ahhhh he's lovely! Congrats!

andreac wrote: »

I suppose about €60 for him? At least thats what I spend on my two retreivers so I am hoping that €60 will cover him on his own! Would he go through more than 15k in 3 weeks or so? I have been reading up on Wolfhounds (an other big breeds) and they require a stable level or protein and calcium to help sustain development and a healthy pace. They can have terrible problems with joints etc if they grow too fast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Yup the vet recommended it to me as well. Pure muck. Burns works well for my two. Before this I couldn't find one that worked for both.

Burns here too, would be great for a wolfhound, nice low protien content for slow steady growth, very important for such a big dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Oh, he's gorgeous!

I'd love a wolfhound, if I had the space and the money.

Quick question - all my other dogs are female so I am a bit new to the male dog! I had heard before that if you stud your dog (reaaaally early to be thinking this I know) they tend to wander afterwards. Is this true?

He is such a beautiful pup that it seems a shame to nuter him. I have a stunning retreiver bitch and regret nutering her as a pup as she can never pass on her looks. She is the pup attached. The other dog to the right is now 17 and is in the last few miles of her life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Quick question - all my other dogs are female so I am a bit new to the male dog! I had heard before that if you stud your dog (reaaaally early to be thinking this I know) they tend to wander afterwards. Is this true?

He is such a beautiful pup that it seems a shame to nuter him. I have a stunning retreiver bitch and regret nutering her as a pup as she can never pass on her looks.

All male dogs will wander if un-neutered regardless of if they are used as a stud or not! Neutering won't guarantee he won't wander though, only secure fencing will do that ;)

• Advertisement

All male dogs will wander if un-neutered regardless of if they are uses as a stud or not! Neutering won't guarantee he won't wander though, only secure fencing will do that ;)

How does one put up secure fencing for a dog that can be 7ft standing on its hind legs!????! :D

Advertisement