Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I just got an Irish Wolfhound.....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Some interesting info. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Wolf_Hound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Unlike the Russian wolfhound (Borzoi), who were bred to keep a wolf at bay until the hunter arrived, the Irish wolfhounds were bred not only to hunt the wolf down, but to go in for the kill. They killed wolves in the same way a cat kills a rat, by shaking it until its neck snapped. :eek:

That's from the Wikipedia article in the link above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mprop wrote: »
    How does one put up secure fencing for a dog that can be 7ft standing on its hind legs!????! :D

That's a consideration I'd take into account before getting one, I'm sure a 6 foot fence would suffice, it does for competition horses anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mhairt

mprop wrote: »
    I suppose about €60 for him? At least thats what I spend on my two retreivers so I am hoping that €60 will cover him on his own! Would he go through more than 15k in 3 weeks or so? .

When fully grown will go through a 15kg bag in about two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

First off - he's a sweetie, very good looking chap wink.gif

Most Giant breeds go through about a kilo of good dry food per day once fully grown. Whatever food you choose, keep a really close eye on the protein levels. It may be an idea to have him on a "junior" food as opposed to a "puppy" food just for the protein levels. Hills is so-so for the price (it's very expensive for the quality!) and there are definitely better foods out there. As someone already mentioned, Burns may be a good option for your guy - protein is low and it's about €50 (give or take) for a 15kg bag.

On the neutering front - IF you do decide to use him for stud, health testing is a must (mainly thinking of hips, elbows etc.) and waiting until he is over two/three (if not older) to use him (the older he is the more likely a genetic problem will have reared its head and you can make an informed decision). If all of your bitches are neutered, you shouldn't have a problem with him mounting them etc. If you decide not to breed him, neutering is generally your best option to prevent all the unwanted associated behaviours with an intact male. Because of his breed, waiting until he is a bit older that usual (6 months) would be a good idea so that he has more time to mature.

He's a lovely (now, but soon not to be!) little guy and hope you have many years of fun with him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

First off - he's a sweetie, very good looking chap wink.gif

Most Giant breeds go through about a kilo of good dry food per day once fully grown. Whatever food you choose, keep a really close eye on the protein levels. It may be an idea to have him on a "junior" food as opposed to a "puppy" food just for the protein levels. Hills is so-so for the price (it's very expensive for the quality!) and there are definitely better foods out there. As someone already mentioned, Burns may be a good option for your guy - protein is low and it's about €50 (give or take) for a 15kg bag.

On the neutering front - IF you do decide to use him for stud, health testing is a must (mainly thinking of hips, elbows etc.) and waiting until he is over two/three (if not older) to use him (the older he is the more likely a genetic problem will have reared its head and you can make an informed decision). If all of your bitches are neutered, you shouldn't have a problem with him mounting them etc. If you decide not to breed him, neutering is generally your best option to prevent all the unwanted associated behaviours with an intact male. Because of his breed, waiting until he is a bit older that usual (6 months) would be a good idea so that he has more time to mature.

He's a lovely (now, but soon not to be!) little guy and hope you have many years of fun with him!

Thanks a million. I went around a few places yesterday and all I could get was Science Plan which was what the vet had suggested. I will keep looking for Burns once this bag is gone (12 kilos - shouldnt take too long :o)

Can I ask how much I should be feeding him? He is now 14 weeks old and about 10 kilos. The instructions on the bag says about 320g of food a day. Feeding him three times a day this is about a handful each time which leaves him starving throughout the day!

I know I have to be careful about feeding him slowly so he grows properly but I am just concerned that he is not getting enough - thanks a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would go by the recommended guide for feeding on the bag and try to stick with that.
    Puppies are always hungry and will eat and eat if they get a chance so you need to be very careful. I have a rottie pup who would eat non stop if you let her.

Also watch his condition when you are feeding him, it could be a case that he needs a little more of less depending on how well he is doing on the fodd. With puppies you want them a little pudgy as they will take growth spurts and grow into their weight then.
    If you think he is looking a little light or thin then you can up his food a little but dont go up too much.

Are you sure hes only 10kg? This seems a little light for a wolfhound of that age but i could be wrong.

andreac wrote: »
    I would go by the recommended guide for feeding on the bag and try to stick with that.
    Puppies are always hungry and will eat and eat if they get a chance so you need to be very careful. I have a rottie pup who would eat non stop if you let her.

Also watch his condition when you are feeding him, it could be a case that he needs a little more of less depending on how well he is doing on the fodd. With puppies you want them a little pudgy as they will take growth spurts and grow into their weight then.
    If you think he is looking a little light or thin then you can up his food a little but dont go up too much.

Are you sure hes only 10kg? This seems a little light for a wolfhound of that age but i could be wrong.

He's actually quite a skinny dog! I havent got an accurate scales, I will get a good reading on Friday when we go to the vet. I was holding the 12k bag of dog food and then picked him up, he is a little lighter than that although he is a big size.

My only concern on giving him more is that he grows to fast and has joint problems as a result....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah ok, well if you think hes a little on the thin side then up his food a little. Every dog is different and will grow and develop at diff rates.
    You wont do too much damage if you increase it slightly.

andreac wrote: »
    Ah ok, well if you think hes a little on the thin side then up his food a little. Every dog is different and will grow and develop at diff rates.
    You wont do too much damage if you increase it slightly.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Beautiful Dog op. Got a great Dane pup myself there a week ago so the same goes for me in regards to protein. For Danes (and giant breeds in general) the guideline is beyween 23-25% protein 2 cups 3 times a day. Now they might not eat it all, in which case don't panic. They are just saying "ive had enough now, ill be back later to finish it".

Be prepared for the wonder/torment of puppyhood :)

Beautiful Dog op. Got a great Dane pup myself there a week ago so the same goes for me in regards to protein. For Danes (and giant breeds in general) the guideline is beyween 23-25% protein 2 cups 3 times a day. Now they might not eat it all, in which case don't panic. They are just saying "ive had enough now, ill be back later to finish it".

Be prepared for the wonder/torment of puppyhood :)

Eeee - The science plan large breed is 28.1% Crude Protein - what brand are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

That's a wee bit high in imo. It's ok though as the effects are not going to be apparent yet. So a quick switch is alright. I have my lad on Royal Canin, thats 25% and is regarded as the adult food.

It's a contested issue. There are schools of though that say feed high protein to suppport the body in earlier/later life. Then there is the other corner (me) that say a slow consistaent growth is preferable as opposed to piling on the protein.

Danes can be problematic joints and healthwise in later life so I don't want to complicate matters further. So I am gonna give my guy protein in the low ish amounts at the start.

Advertisement