Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constructo model ship

Options
  • 09-12-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

hi all i am looking at getting the constructo victory sailing ship i know their is alot of work in them as i am a cabinetmaker for 15 years think i am up to the challenge my question is are these kits good and worth the money thanks for looking

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Concerning the fittings, their quality, and number of them in the kit, and not the hull itself:
    there are better makes quality-wise than Constructo available eg Mantua, Corel, Sergal, Amati.
    I expect they all have a Victory, and in more than one size.
    Good luck with all those gun ports! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

coolwings wrote: »
    Concerning the fittings, their quality, and number of them in the kit, and not the hull itself:
    there are better makes quality-wise than Constructo available eg Mantua, Corel, Sergal, Amati.

Great looking models there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Thanks for that so do ya think i should stay away from the constructo and go for one of the others

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Great looking models there alright.
    ya looks great their will be alot of work in it though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Thanks for that so do ya think i should stay away from the constructo and go for one of the others

It depends on what you want. I wasn't criticising, just making a comparison.
    Constructo would be more the beginner large replica, and the other ones I mentioned (in the same size) might have a little more of the qualities of a museum class or photographic model, but take longer to do.
    The reason I said it was because you mentioned your skills and I suspected you would be capable of complex work without getting bogged down in time taken to do it.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you want. I wasn't criticising, just making a comparison.
    Constructo would be more the beginner large replica, and the other ones I mentioned (in the same size) might have a little more of the qualities of a museum class or photographic model, but take longer to do.
    The reason I said it was because you mentioned your skills and I suspected you would be capable of complex work without getting bogged down in time taken to do it.
    Thanks for your time and help

I would not mind putting one of them together myself. They look great

ya looks great their will be alot of work in it though

Yes there would, but my own view on that is it would be nice when its finished to know you put it together yourself

Yes there would, but my own view on that is it would be nice when its finished to know you put it together yourself
    ya know what you mean its down now to picking the brand of model i am going to build

ya know what you mean its down now to picking the brand of model i am going to build

You should take photos as you go along and put them up on here or a new thread of the build.

• Advertisement

You should take photos as you go along and put them up on here or a new thread of the build.
    good idea will do me head is wrecked to witch brand to get as soon as i get it ill get photos up going looking tomorrow and ring around few model shops i am between marks and greens and a place in uk called cornwall model boats

• Registered Users Posts: 19 milanomosher

JoTiKa (www.jotika-ltd.com) in the UK do a very highly regarded Victory, as well as other similar period ships in the Nelsons Navy range. Have a look on their site as I think they provide downloadable construction manuals that would give you an idea what´s involved.

I´ve been building their HM Yacht Chatham on and off for the past three years and I couldn´t fault anything with the kit, quality of materials and instructions are superb. I´d love to have a go at the Victory but at my building pace it would be a lifetime project.

Advertisement