Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can doctors prescribe a higher dose of a medication than recommended

Options
  • 09-12-2010 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,
    The max daily dose of Concerta 54mg per day but this is not working. In other countries up to 108mg per day is recommended. I've heard of ppl in the USA taking 144mg per day.

Is it possible to get prescribed a higher amount in Ireland?

My doctor talked about it but I'm not sure if he was clear about saying he could go higher or not. He just said he wanted me to get an ECG and my blood pressure checked.

I'm really in bad form about this because I need to control my ADHD.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I've come across people where their body becomes almost immune to the level of concerta. I can remember one specific person who might as well have been eating smarties while on it for all the good in the world it did. So having been taken back to see the family doctor, his dosage was increased. That seemed to do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would doubt that a doctor could give you a higher dosage than an official recommended dosage just off the bat, but only your doctor can advise you on that.
    You will have to wait for your ECG/bloods to be done and based on the outcome of that they may decide it's safe (or not) to up your dosage.

Medication affects different people in different ways, some people might be able to cope with a higher dose, and others might not.

Advertisement