Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler not working

Options
  • 09-12-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Please help,

My gas boiler, 18si Glow worm has stopped working. I'm just getting a 0.5flashing which seems to be something to do with water pressure. The water went off last night in the apartments so i figured it was something to do with that but now, it will not heat the water or the radiators and still keeps flashing 0.5:(

Anybody encounter this problem before. Hoping it is simple fix rather than having to call bord gais.

Thanks for any help.

Brrrrr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The water outside being turned off should have no bearing on your system - the majority of central heating systems now installed are closed systems.

Most boilers won't work under half a bar of pressure, so you are right in saying it is pressure related. It sounds like you just have to find the top-up knob in the hot press to add more pressure to the system.

By turning it slightly for a few seconds, listen to the mains pressure fill the the system, and close it again - then check the pressure gauge (ideally at 1.0 bar). The manual says not to go over 2.5 bar so between 1.0 and 2.0 should be fine.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks, i think i found the black valve you are taking about but the problems if there is no filling tube connecting it do the boiler system:( Gonna have to source one of these and hopefully that should work by bringing the pressure up to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

This happens to ours constantly, and as astrofluff says, you have to introduce water to the system with the valve in the hot press - you do have to wait til you hear the 'hissing' sound to tell if it worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, i managed to get it fixed eventually after buying this tube thing in woodies as it was missing from the boiler to repressurise it. At least i'll be warm when this cold snap hits us again this weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Anyone got a whining boiler? I've got one in the crescent, the bored gais service guy said it's probably sediment in the pipes and not to worry about it but it seems to be constantly there

Pressure is at about 1.2 bar so it's not over or under pressured

• Advertisement
Advertisement