Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD open day

• 09-12-2010 8:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heading up there tomorrow morning on the early train god help me ! Looking forward to it though . Anyone else heading up ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fringechic

Was hoping to go myself but can't now. I'm hoping to do science there next year. Let us me know what u think of the university,i.e the departments and accomodation please. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Anyone know the best bus to take if going from city center to Belfield Campus? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

39A on college street outside trinity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Digits wrote: »
    Anyone know the best bus to take if going from city center to Belfield Campus? Thanks.

The 39A goes right into campus, and goes from College Street (beside Trinity College. There are three bus stops in a row - it's the middle one)

The 46A goes from beside the spire, or D'Olier street, and leaves you at the main UCD entrance.

The 145 goes from D'Olier street and leaves you at the main entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

Going on Saturday! Have to get a train at 7:15, not looking forward to that..but I am looking forward to finally seeing the college! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

snip. I think i'll save myself getting a warning, for making fun of arts it's not worth it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Thanks very much guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im heading up on the bus with a few friends. Hopefully it'll be good. Currently have UCD as my number 1 so this is (hopefully) going to affirm that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Cathald04

Travelling all the way from donegal . Hoping to get there on the bus would it be alright arriving around 12ish or should i get an earlier bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

SDTimeout wrote: »
    snip. I think i'll save myself getting a warning, for making fun of arts it's not worth it :(

Why are you even posting that? If you have nothing good to say about Arts then don't say it. People continually slate Arts degrees here and alot of them (bar the mods and the few posters that are actually in college that post here regularly) haven't got a genuine clue about the degrees and the work that they entail. I am not in Arts but I am in a very similar enough degree, until you are in Arts you won't actually know what it is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

unknown13 wrote: »
    Why are you even posting that? If you have nothing good to say about Arts then don't say it. People continually slate Arts degrees here and alot of them (bar the mods and the few posters that are actually in college that post here regularly) haven't got a genuine clue about the degrees and the work that they entail. I am not in Arts but I am in a very similar enough degree, until you are in Arts you won't actually know what it is like.

Just because the points are low doesnt mean that the course is easy. Its simply because there are so many places that the points are low. The courses are not easy and "oorts" isn't a doss.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Fringechic wrote: »
    Was hoping to go myself but can't now. I'm hoping to do science there next year. Let us me know what u think of the university,i.e the departments and accomodation please. :):)

I'm in 1st year science and I absolutely love it. The students are all really nice and you get pretty close to people quickly and make good friends soon. In the labs you get a lab partner and it's good craic and actually a great way to make friends because you get to know the 5 or so people around you and if you have 3 labs thats 15 people. They put us into these mentoring groups on the 1st day too whith about 8 people and this was a great help and I'm good friends with 5 of mine and see the others most days only reason never see some of them is because they're doing completely different degrees so they have different lectures.

The science building is actually being done up at the moment so if you chose to do science here you will probably have a fantastic building when you get here. The buildings that they've done already look great. We're getting a new student centre too with a pool and gym in 2012 I think.

I'm living at home so I can't comment on the accommodation but I hear it's grand but expensive. Most people try to live on campus for the first year and then will move out to apartments that they rent with college friends the next year.

Good luck anyway! Come to UCD =]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

SDTimeout wrote: »

Arts bashing just isn't funny, it's just uninformed bollox, yes you can do an entirely redundant degree through Arts if you mix Canadian Studies with like Ancient Greek (Whether you can still do either of those is beyond me but anyway), but an arts degree is much much better than some degree you chose that you dont have a proper interest in, that you think there'll be a job in after 4 years.....

Signed: A science student >_>

Victoria. wrote: »

I'm in 1st year science and I absolutely love it. The students are all really nice and you get pretty close to people quickly and make good friends soon. In the labs you get a lab partner and it's good craic and actually a great way to make friends because you get to know the 5 or so people around you and if you have 3 labs thats 15 people. They put us into these mentoring groups on the 1st day too whith about 8 people and this was a great help and I'm good friends with 5 of mine and see the others most days only reason never see some of them is because they're doing completely different degrees so they have different lectures.

The science building is actually being done up at the moment so if you chose to do science here you will probably have a fantastic building when you get here. The buildings that they've done already look great. We're getting a new student centre too with a pool and gym in 2012 I think.

LIES, the new Chem building is mainly research labs afaik, I doubt undergrads (Except 4th year Chem or Med Chem) will get to use much of it until they work on the old end. The day the hub goes will be a sad day :(

Also, out of interest, who was your peer mentor? (I'm a 2nd year :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Wouldn't it be fun to have like a LC meetup at the open day? Probably too late to organize at this stage. Not sure if I'm going yet though, travel issues :S :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fringechic

Victoria. wrote: »

I'm living at home so I can't comment on the accommodation but I hear it's grand but expensive. Most people try to live on campus for the first year and then will move out to apartments that they rent with college friends the next year.

Good luck anyway! Come to UCD =]

Thanks for the information, it sounds brilliant. I'll keep that all the information in mind when i'm sorting out my CAO forms:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Fantastic day :D I'd seriously recommend for people to head in tomorrow. I know not all the talks are on tomorrow, but it was worth missing a day of school.
    I've switched UCD to my first choice now. I just wish I could get stuck straight in my course (Physics and Astronomy) from day one, not slowly sort of head into it. But I like the college and from both talks that I went to, it was clear that the lecturer's clearly love their subjects.
    Wouldn't it be fun to have like a LC meetup at the open day? Probably too late to organize at this stage. Not sure if I'm going yet though, travel issues :S

Noooo. Very bad idea. I don't think you should even go to an open day with friends. Most end up trying to stick to each other and, unless you're aiming for the same type of course, really doesn't work out for either of them. Plus I spent half the day running between buildings and trying to find my way around campus. You waste so much time trying to find your way around and wasting any more time meeting up with people from the internet is just a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Actually I'd say you're totally right, I'm actually not going with any friends for that reason (I also can't shop with other people either) :P :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fad wrote: »
    LIES, the new Chem building is mainly research labs afaik, I doubt undergrads (Except 4th year Chem or Med Chem) will get to use much of it until they work on the old end. The day the hub goes will be a sad day :(

Also, out of interest, who was your peer mentor? (I'm a 2nd year :) )

Is the hub next on the science renovations list?

unknown13 wrote: »
    Is the hub next on the science renovations list?

Not sure, but there was talk about it not being there for Science Day (It will be) which is based fairly exclusively in the hub, so we're guessing it's next.

Kindly if there is no hub, I have the CS building >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Good day in general. Got a good bit of info, luckily my friends wanted to go to some talks I wasn't interested in so I ended up going around the O'Reilly Hall on my own for a while which was pretty useful =P.

Advertisement