Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn Feeding

Options
  • 09-12-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just looking for some advice about newborn feeding,

He's 12 days old and is already knocking back 120mm 4+oz of Aptimal, He tends to look for it (bottle) every 3 hours but sometime's 2 and a half hours at night time we get a rest and he only wakes up every 4-5 hours. Is this normal he weighed 7.8 when he was born. Is there such a thing as over feeding a newborn. We had to feed him every 3hours when born as he had mild jaundice and where told to let him sleep at night till he wake's... He''s doing very well other wise..

Thanks all..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Sounds about normal! Babies often have a growth spurt around 10=14 days too so will feed more.

A baby only knows hungry and full so you won't over feed him :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

All babies are different. You can't overfeed them when they're that small. Good going getting him sleeping that long already! Sounds like you're doing great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You're doing a fantastic job, 4oz is about normal at 3 weeks. My daughters only took about 3oz's at 3 weeks but they were relatively small babies (6lbs and 6lbs 13oz at birth).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Thanks all im blessed so far, Though i wont hold my breath. He only cry's for food, and food. Dirty nappy the very odd time at night we just leave him sleep as long as he needs... There's no need to wake him if he's hungry he will wake us bar that he's grand..

Hi all just to recap on this he is now up on 150mm of apitmal. Getting a little worried now that he's going to turn obese or something he just love's his bottle. We are trying to hold him off giving it for at least four hours because he drinks so much. What are we doing wrong. :(:(:confused:

• Advertisement

You're not doing anything wrong, if your child is hungry then feed him. Don't try to dictate a routine at this age. It won't work.

It may be worth talking to your PHN or GP about changing him to a hungry baby formula.

Don't be worried, all babies are different.

You're not doing anything wrong, if your child is hungry then feed him. Don't try to dictate a routine at this age. It won't work.

It may be worth talking to your PHN or GP about changing him to a hungry baby formula.

Don't be worried, all babies are different.

Thanks, I suppose i'm just being extra carefull. He love's his bottle and as my father said it would be far worse if he wasn't feeding.. At what stage do you think it would be good to try get a routine going....

Exactly, it would be far worse if he was refusing to feed. Once they're a few months old (3/4) getting into a routine can be good for both mammy/daddy and baby. It may not work though, some children don't like routine! Just go with the flow, honestly, everything will slot into place when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

my baby was like yours she was actually drinking 3oz bottles in the hosp and i asked midwives and they said it grand she was big baby only 8lbs which to me isn't that big. Every week it felt like i had to add a extra oz to bottle, i was starting to get worried when we got to 8 saying what will i do should i give her 2 bottles. Thank god she was happy with 8oz's think she was about 8/9 weeks at that stage. The phn said it was grand as she was keeping all her bottle down so was well able to cope with that amount of milk. She was 15lbs 10oz's at 3 months, now at 8 months she's only 19lbs. She only drinks 3 8oz's bottles now and has 3 meals.

I wouldn't be one bit worried about his milk intake as long as he is keeping it down. Elisha got herself into a great rountine at about 6/8 weeks where she would drink every 3 and a half to 4 hours. If she wanted milk inbetween that i would either distract her or give her some water. She was sleeping through night at 8/9 weeks but i let her dictate her rountine.

Oh just so you know i did try the hungry baby formula at one stage and she just cried the whole 2 days as it was to heavy on her stomach and was giving her cramps.

Advertisement