Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of a gas mask in skirmishing?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I recently got my hands on an old Finnish M61 gas mask, and I decided to use it for skirmishing as a protective mask, but I don't know if the lenses would take a bb. Does anyone have any experience with using gas masks for this purpose?
    Would I have to replace the lenses?
    And excuse the quality of the pictures, I had to take them with my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I dont know if the lenses are ballistically tested but I do know that trying to breathe with these things on is very difficult especially when running around.
    Unless you absolutely have to wear it, I would counsel against it as I have seen a number of people pass out whilst wearing them.

To make them breathable, you may need to remove the outer filter and the internal filter. This leaves a big hole thru which bbs can enter and possibly hit you eyes.(long shot but why take the risk).

They look cool but are a bastard to wear unless you are super fit.

Best of luck with it anyway and apologies for the bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Alabastor_Twob

Ah, okay. The main reason I wanted to wear it was because it has a kind of two stage breathing system that stops the lenses fogging up, plus the fact that it covers the whole face means it should take the sting out of those bb's. :D
    It doesn't seem too hard to breathe wearing it when the filter's off, but I haven't tried running around in it yet. I guess I'll have to try running around in it first, and see how it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Best bet Test it at point blank range with a full mag and see if it penetrates the lense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Those lenses will not be ballistic rated (very few gas masks are) . They will crack or shatter on impact. Please don't use it in a skirmish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i would not trust any lens in a gas mask, there normally strong but very brittle, when they do break they shatter they could be fine for a long time but then give way creating shards

• Advertisement

There were a few people on the ASI forum who swaped out the lenses on their S10's for balistic rated ones. Proubly wouldn't be worth the hassel
    Also any gas masks are very uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, and unless you hollow out the filter i wouldn't chance running around for a whole skirmish with it. The is nothing harmful in it (asbestos was stoped being used in the early 1960's, some eastern bloc countries continued to use it) ,but it still wouldn't be good for your health. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

pretty fashion concious tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

andy_g wrote: »
    Best bet Test it at point blank range with a full mag and see if it penetrates the lense
    And then you need to get the exact same mask again, as you've just weakened the lens.

I wouldn't mind replacing the lenses with ballistic rated ones, if I could get them. It looks like it could be a bit time consuming, but not particularly difficult.
    And I think I'll hollow out the filter, but apparently the materials used in this type become toxic when they're out of date, so considering this mask has been obsolete for over a decade I'd probably want to do that some time later.

I wouldn't mind replacing the lenses with ballistic rated ones, if I could get them. It looks like it could be a bit time consuming, but not particularly difficult.
    And I think I'll hollow out the filter, but apparently the materials used in this type become toxic when they're out of date, so considering this mask has been obsolete for over a decade I'd probably want to do that some time later.

There is nothing toxic in those NATO filters. Cotton wool and charcoal is all you will find.
    The only filters i would be worried about opening would be 70's or earlier dated soviet or estern bloc filters :)

• Advertisement

Fair enough then. I might keep the filter then, just in case I'm ever in a riot and I want to be unaffected by tear gas. :p

Or when the zombie apocalyspe comes. Keeps the Z's blood off your face. Yes im serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I dont know long long youd last to be honest.gas masks can restrict air in take from about 20 to 30 percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

andy_g wrote: »

Never, ever do this unless you're doing it on a sacrificial lens/mask/goggles/glasses that you have no intention of ever wearing.

I cannot stress this enough.

Advertisement