Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supply Sallins

Options
  • 09-12-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

Any one else have their water supply turned off. No water currently in Sallins Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

In case you haven't seen, the council have reduced the pressure.

Water Supply Pressure Reductions - Thursday 9th December 2010

Water Supply Pressure Reductions - Thursday 9th December 2010
    Following instruction from Dublin City Council, Kildare County Council are continuing a program of water pressure reductions throughout the county tonight.
    The pressure reductions will commence from 7.00pm tonight until 7.00am tomorrow morning. Areas on high ground may experience a loss of supply during this period.
    During this period of low pressure, residents should ensure that they do not drain down their attic storage tanks by using appliances such as washing machines, dishwashers, showers etc.
    If a registered contractor has installed the central heating system within affected houses, it will be run from a separate expansion tank in the attic. This water will not be affected by a water mains shutdown or periods of low pressure and it should be safe for residents to use their central heating. If in doubt, however, residents should contact their plumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

water pressure in hunterswood/Oldbridge is high as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aone

feel like im living in a third world country with no water supply. pfft, such a pathetic, helpless, sub-standard life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

Got up this morning and the water is still off. It has been back on by this time every other day. Bit of a pain tbh. The tank ran dry just after my shower today.

It's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭87pio

have you still no water in sallins? I've only cold water in kitchen tap. no water in a bathroom at all. I'm in Waterways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

@87pio, sounds like your attic tank or feed is frozen. Would be worth checking out, as it may be as simple as a hotwater bottle held over the ballcock valve. I've left the attic hatch open to keep some warm air circulating up there, and I've heard of people leaving a heater on low just to prevent it freezing.

I live in an appartment. I had water on tuesday alright, and before and after that no water at all, except cold tap in kitchen. Even when there was no frost during the day I didnt have it. I've sent an email to Kildare CC and got a reply back, that your man isn't in the office until the 5th of Jan next year. I can't even flush the toilet or so. Could it be because of low preassure at nights? Even when it is, I still should have water during the day no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Try ringing the fire station in Naas; I had no water one day when I was living in the Waterways and KCC werent able to help so I rang the fire station and they told me of a fault that they were aware of that was causing the problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if your cold tap in the kitchen works then the mains works and it is an issue internal in the house.

We are in Maynooth and our house has no mains water atm:(

I'm after ringing CC. The water is off for the night, but they're turning it back on after 7am in the morning. Lady said it must be problem in the house as I have cold water in the Kitchen as mains. The plumber is coming over tommorow. It might be air blocked after switching the water off at night.

edit:Problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Water off again folks?

Good water preassure in Sallins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you have water in your kitchen and not in your bathroom it is most likely due to reduced water preasure. The water in the attic tank feed pipe needs to be under quite bit of preasure to make its way up to the tank (against gravity).

mloc123 wrote: »
    If you have water in your kitchen and not in your bathroom it is most likely due to reduced water preasure. The water in the attic tank feed pipe needs to be under quite bit of preasure to make its way up to the tank (against gravity).

The pump was airlocked. I have it sorted now anyway. Thanks for all help lads:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Water supply v low in Sallins Bridge, hence tank seems to have dried up : cold feed in kitchen ok, low pressure, but v slow filling of other feeds. Gravity is a hoor in these circumstances :D

water cut off again ?

I found the KCC tanker locations earlier, and posted them here. There's a tanker in Monread somewhere from 12-3pm if that's any help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

Has anyone got an update on water situation in Sallins.? Perhaps you know someone who is involved in the repairs and who knows the extent of the damage that is interrupting the water supply. Its very frustrating being left in the dark about such matters.

The likely explanation is that the water pressure has been reduced (to reduce the amount of water being forced out through leaks) from early evening to the morning, and there is unfortunately just insufficient pressure to get water to kitchen taps and attic tanks throughout.

The latest explanation is here for what it's worth. I would expect that as many people as possible are working on fixing leaks as quickly as possible, and the pressure reductions are county-wide, indeed country-wide. It's just a pity that Sallins (in particular in this thread) must be at a high level in relation to the pressure in the supply that it doesn't reach there when the pressure's released.

Last week when they reduced the pressure we had water in the kitchen, so I'd say it's not about higher ground and low pressure. There is NO WATER at all. Not even one drop from the tap:(

• Advertisement

The alternative is that there may be more leaks as the thaw continues? On the other side of it, demand might have increased as shops and restaurants reopen compared to last week, or maybe some taps are being left open. There are a number of reasons all compounding each other probably. You could also have some supplies being shut down on a short-term basis to facilitate repairs, either?

Hopefuly we'll get few drops of water tommorow.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefluly it wont drag on as long as Northern Ireland. Thank god the weather is approx 9 degrees or we'd be in real trouble.

Did you get the water back in today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jrsallins

No water at all. Can't even flush toilet. Bummer

It's a disaster. We've no water since yesterday morning. Can't flush the toilet, can't do the washing, CAN'T TAKE A SHOWER. And obviously I can't get anyone on the phone from KCC:mad:

You can fill the cistern yourself using water from another source (a friend or some cheap 5 litre Aldi bottles). Ensure that you put a small bottle of water in the cistern to displace some water so that you dont need that much. Search youtube for instructions. If your heating goes throw about 30 litres into your attic tank, should be enough to kickstart it again.

I've no attic, as I live in an apartment. Just have a boiler. I think I can't put any water into in. :(

If you're looking to fill containers, Kildare Co. Co. have tankers out again today, I've posted details here. Or you can find out on KCC's website at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056131041.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm filling bottles from KCC in Naas. There is a standpipe. Rang council, they've told me, the water is back on, but I live on the 2nd floor, so there isn't enough pressure for water to come up so high. Any news where they are going to put the full pressure back on???

Advertisement