Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would Harry manage England?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

To be fair I can't understand why Harry would want the job. He has said many times that he loves the day to day buzz of managing a club. In the international set up he would only have the players for 2-3 days and then have nothing for months at a time.
    I think with Spurs he is made for life. He is already a hero to all the fans. I also feel that he would really love to win a league title and to be fair I think with us is his only chance. I for one couldn't see him getting the job at any of the other "big" teams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

IMHO,

If england came calling he'd drop us like a hot coal. Sure he's setup here and a hero but I'd say at the very least Harry is from the school of "for queen and country" and would/could see himself doing a big big job with them.

Should he? no its a thankless job with fans who have more crazy expectations then Mike Ashley.

I don't honestly think Harry is gonna be with us for the next 10 years. I honestly think if Liverpool weren't on such a downward spiral he would have gone to them. Maybe i'm wrong and this way of thinking is instilled in me from the time I couldnt stand him.

Love him now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

If offered the England job in 2 years time, I think it's a no brainer that he will leave us. He's English, and it's every English managers dream i would think, to manage there nation, and if he does, good luck to him.

Being Honest, I dont particularly like Harry. Dont get me wrong, he has done great work at Spurs, and has done what nobody probably thought he would, by getting us top 4, and now we are in the knockout stages.

But some of the things he has done and said since he has come to Spurs hasn't endeared me to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

Hatch99 wrote: »
    If offered the England job in 2 years time, I think it's a no brainer that he will leave us. He's English, and it's every English managers dream i would think, to manage there nation, and if he does, good luck to him.

Being Honest, I dont particularly like Harry. Dont get me wrong, he has done great work at Spurs, and has done what nobody probably thought he would, by getting us top 4, and now we are in the knockout stages.

exactly how i feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Harry would be a popular choice with England fans and also with the majority of print journalists and Sky Sports.

He's not a young man, a proud Englishman, and would get a massive contract to retire on.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I have to agree with z on this one, I feel Harry would drop us like a hot snot if the English FA came a calling.

Lets hope big Sam keeps touting himself for the job :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Any Spurs fan that doesn't like Harry Redknapp needs their head examined.

Apart from the way he has transformed Spurs from a laughing stock to serious contenders, he is also a great old school football man, and a gentleman too by all accounts.

We're very lucky to have him, and I'll be gutted when he takes the England job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm my too sure about the gentleman thing TBH, wasn't there a book put out recently that his whole "home to the wife" routine is kind put on and he's allot more Cristal Champagne in a night club kinda guy?

Having said that I couldn't give a **** if he is, he's turned us around big time and that's all I care about. I didn't have any time for him before he joined but he proved me wrong.

Apart from the way he has transformed Spurs from a laughing stock to serious contenders, he is also a great old school football man, and a gentleman too by all accounts.

i am one of them fans that need thier head examined so. i dont like harry. never really did even before he came to spurs.
    as a manager i dont think i would swap him for anyone to be honest. i loved martin jol but i thnk harry has done wonders.

i dont agree with a few of his decisions like why he brought keane back n gave him the captaincy and leaves him time and time again on the bench. but he is doing something right and earning his wages. getting van der vaart in the summer? for the price he did? genius! pull one or two more of them outta the bag in jan harry n i dont care how much i dont like u, ur alright in my book!

im aware im a hypocrite!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I heard today that if Inter lost this evening that Benitez was getting the boot and Capello has already agreed terms in principle with Inter. If this is so, I would assume Harry would get the call and then we're left with.... Benitez...

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Bullettooth

You should hope he does he will bankrupt yous he did it with west ham Southampton and pompy spurs can't continue to spend the way they have been overs the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

You should hope he does he will bankrupt yous he did it with west ham Southampton and pompy spurs can't continue to spend the way they have been overs the years
    The club is run extremly well and are finances are in excellent health our spending comes from player sales and our revenue we don't borrow to sell and we have an stringent wage structure that has prevented us from taking on a few players over the years but keeps the club healthy we will be fine.

Your opinion, and your entitled to it, but to come on here and say I need my head examined is a bit fcuking rich.

Are people not allowed disagree no ?

If you read my post, You might notice that I praised him for what he has done at Spurs, and deservedly so.

But I'll be honest, I dont like him one bit as a man. I'll take your gentleman quote with jest. He is a crook, and got caught a while back with his bags around his ankles as you know.

He has behaved in a poor manner several times in my opinion since he arrived. Things he has said in relation to Bent,Keane,King and Gallas etc have really annoyed me as a Spurs fan.

People say he is a good man manager, I beg to differ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Your opinion, and your entitled to it, but to come on here and say I need my head examined is a bit fcuking rich.

If you read my post, You might notice that I praised him for what he has done at Spurs, and deservedly so.

But I'll be honest, I dont like him one bit as a man. I'll take your gentleman quote with jest. He is a crook, and got caught a while back with his bags around his ankles as you know.

He has behaved in a poor manner several times in my opinion since he arrived. Things he has said in relation to Bent,Keane,King and Gallas etc have really annoyed me as a Spurs fan.

I disagee with ya. I don't think he's a good man manager I think he's a great one :D

Joking aside I don't care what kind he is once we keep doing well. If we had Jack the Ripper and Bin Laden up front and they got 20 league goals each I'd be fine with that as well! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

we will never agree on this

shame you can't allow yourself to like a bloke that has given us so many great moments, but that's your own business I guess

yiddo59 wrote: »
    I disagee with ya. I don't think he's a good man manager I think he's a great one :D

Joking aside I don't care what kind he is once we keep doing well. If we had Jack the Ripper and Bin Laden up front and they got 20 league goals each I'd be fine with that as well! ;)

How did he man manage Bent & Keane, not very well...

shame you can't allow yourself to like a bloke that has given us so many great moments, but that's your own business I guess

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate what he has done, and I have praised him for that, he has done an excellent job in 2 years. But it's like anything, you dont have to like someone to appreciate what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

True but he did do something with gareth bale. Every manager will have players they just dont like for whatever reason (Bent) and i think he changed with Keane after the christmas bash last year.

Either way, hes the best manager we have had for a long long time. Is there an english manager out there that would turn it down?

The chance to manage your country is always the top job for any manager and im sure harry would fancy his chances of making a success of the england job.

My biggest worry would be who the feic could we replace him with. Hopefully in 2012 we are still in the champions league and top four.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    True but he did do something with gareth bale. Every manager will have players they just dont like for whatever reason (Bent) and i think he changed with Keane after the christmas bash last year.

Either way, hes the best manager we have had for a long long time. Is there an english manager out there that would turn it down?

The chance to manage your country is always the top job for any manager and im sure harry would fancy his chances of making a success of the england job.

My biggest worry would be who the feic could we replace him with. Hopefully in 2012 we are still in the champions league and top four.

Yes Bale has turned around, but remember he was on the verge of being shipped out on loan up until he got a chance through injuries ;)

Of course he would be mad to turn it down, Im not arguing that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Its his job to do the best he can for the club, the way he managed these 2 has worked out very well for the club so I don't see your point?

He decided they weren't good enough and to be honest results bear out his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

On the contrary Bent will make at at a top 4 club, He;s a good EPL player but no more than that.

As for Keano hois best days are well behind him but is this because of Arry?

• Advertisement

i think the point being made about keane is why pay the money and increase his wages to bring him back n sit on the bench?

on a side not about darren bent. it was mentioned how can u not like someone but appreciate what he has done. i hated darren bent at spurs. he was by far the best finisher at the club in his time i felt but i just ditn like the lad. ialways keep an eye on him with his new club n will do throughout his career n really honestly i hope he does very well but i never liked himm at spurs.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    On the contrary Bent will make at at a top 4 club, He;s a good EPL player but no more than that.

As for Keano hois best days are well behind him but is this because of Arry?

I assume you mean Bent 'will not' make it at a top 4 side ? Maybe not, but I still think he was mis-managed and could have been a far better player for us than he turned out to be. Water under the bridge I suppose.

I wouldn't say Keane's best days are gone because of Harry. Robbie is getting older like us all ;) but I think he has been treated poorly by Redknapp.

Rafa wants to take over at spurs after Harry takes England job supposedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

He can F*** right off, we want to stay in the top 4 indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

staker wrote: »
    He can F*** right off, we want to stay in the top 4 indefinitely

The d**k would make a balls of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

He is doing just fine playing for us at the moment. Don't really think he is ready for managment just yet lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

If Harry does go, I would much prefer O'Neill to Rafa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Cianan2 wrote: »

neither of them are Tottenham managers. I certainly wouldn't pay to watch any of their sides play football on a regular basis. 2 kick and rush merchants is all they are.

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Never I'd prefer Levy to O'niell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

What about Kevin Keegan?? Could be the man to take us that step further. Did a great job at Newcastle those many years ago....

Advertisement