Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed .. Taxing van issue???

• 09-12-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi there , bought a van a few months ago , was out of tax when i bought it and im only gettin around to taxing it now..In september the taxing of commericial vehicles have gone into the clouds for anyone not using there van for work related purposes.. I dont work for myself in fact im unemployed at the minute , but ive been told by a friend i can apply for a flock number and say im keeping chickens and get the tax at the normal price .. I need to know more about it and would be greatful to anyone that can help me.. Is this correct and if so how do i go about applying for a flock number?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

How big is the van? How many chickens do you think you could get in it?

Checkout http://www.omlet.co.uk
    they might give you tips on adapting the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

How big is the van? How many chickens do you think you could get in it?

Checkout http://www.omlet.co.uk
    they might give you tips on adapting the van.

Hilarious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

had my van in da name cos the insurance was killing me:( had to change logbook into my name get form signed by gards :mad:and letter from my employer(builder):mad: to tax it only have to do it the once but any time on its just tax as normal which is stupis cos u could lose job so its the stupidest law ive ever heard:confused::confused:if u have herd number its alright but to get one u have to have land livestock and a crush i think and they inspect it:eek:

Dupont wrote: »
    had my van in da name cos the insurance was killing me:( had to change logbook into my name get form signed by gards :mad:and letter from my employer(builder):mad: to tax it only have to do it the once but any time on its just tax as normal which is stupis cos u could lose job so its the stupidest law ive ever heard:confused::confused:if u have herd number its alright but to get one u have to have land livestock and a crush i think and they inspect it:eek:

Cheers Dupont .. Heres the situation, we actually have a few chickens here at home , i was told i can get a flock number(same thing as a herd number) and then tax it at the normal price.. Also the van is still in the persons name i bought it off.. Just never got around to putting it into my own name, hadnt been drivin it much anyway.. Could i put the van in my fathers name ,he has a herd number as his a farmer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Cheers Dupont .. Heres the situation, we actually have a few chickens here at home , i was told i can get a flock number(same thing as a herd number) and then tax it at the normal price.. Also the van is still in the persons name i bought it off.. Just never got around to putting it into my own name, hadnt been drivin it much anyway.. Could i put the van in my fathers name ,he has a herd number as his a farmer..

Herd number will do op. You might get a better reply in the Farming forum. I am 99% sure though. Remember though for insurance though the jeep in his name you might not be covered.

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Herd number will do op. You might get a better reply in the Farming forum. I am 99% sure though. Remember though for insurance though the jeep in his name you might not be covered.

Yeah mite post this up there .. Suppose id have to ring up my insurance and find out from them if id be covered to drive the van in his name..Father already has a jeep in his name , would that have any effect on things , probably not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Yeah mite post this up there .. Suppose id have to ring up my insurance and find out from them if id be covered to drive the van in his name..Father already has a jeep in his name , would that have any effect on things , probably not...

I dont know being honest with you. The only thing is you would be a named driver. I would ring your insurance company first to make sure.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ive been told by a friend i can apply for a flock number and say im keeping chickens

There's being cute and there is being cute! That is gas!!!

There's being cute and there is being cute! That is gas!!!

Limerick Man ive been told everyones at it..

Limerick Man ive been told everyones at it..

I'm more laughing at the fact that we're probably the best in the world for finding away loop holes!

It's more than likely true, that's what I'm laughing at!

• Advertisement

I'm more laughing at the fact that we're probably the best in the world for finding away loop holes!

It's more than likely true, that's what I'm laughing at!

Haha have to say i laughed at it myself when i first heard about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I was self employed few years back but now unemployed...cant sell the van and tax overdue..how much is the new tax rates/any way around this

bmarley wrote: »
    I was self employed few years back but now unemployed...cant sell the van and tax overdue..how much is the new tax rates/any way around this

The same as a car AFAIK.

The same as a car AFAIK.

The new rates are an awful lot higher limerick man i think

The new rates are an awful lot higher limerick man i think

I'd have assumed if you weren't using a van commercially you'd just pay the private tax rate based on CC or post 08 based on Co2!

I'd have assumed if you weren't using a van commercially you'd just pay the private tax rate based on CC or post 08 based on Co2!

I think its gone into the clouds , i was told around 700euro(By a friend) to tax my van a 1.9 nissan primastar.. Thats why i started this thread , if it was only around a hundred dearer it wouldnt bother me, but i think were talkin hundreds..

I think its gone into the clouds , i was told around 700euro(By a friend) to tax my van a 1.9 nissan primastar.. Thats why i started this thread , if it was only around a hundred dearer it wouldnt bother me, but i think were talkin hundreds..

Sure isn't that what you'd pay on a 2.0 anyway? That's normal my friend :P

Sure isn't that what you'd pay on a 2.0 anyway? That's normal my friend :P

Jesus hardly limerick man , the old tax disk wasnt in the van when i bought it so bi dont know.. My brother drives a toyota landcruiser and its under 300..

Jesus hardly limerick man , the old tax disk wasnt in the van when i bought it so bi dont know.. My brother drives a toyota landcruiser and its under 300..

Yes that's commercial tax of 282 (I think). They whole purpose of commercial tax was to help businesses, if you don't have a business then you don't get to avail of commercial tax! Just because you have 2 or three less seats and a huge boot doesn't lower your tax! So then you move into the private tax band and it's taxed the same as any normal car, as said above on CC or emisssions.

Yes that's commercial tax of 282 (I think). They whole purpose of commercial tax was to help businesses, if you don't have a business then you don't get to avail of commercial tax! Just because you have 2 or three less seats and a huge boot doesn't lower your tax! So then you move into the private tax band and it's taxed the same as any normal car, as said above on CC or emisssions.

Yeah limerick man i know that , thats why im trying to get a flock number, so il be able to get commercial tax..

• Advertisement

Yeah limerick man i know that , thats why im trying to get a flock number, so il be able to get commercial tax..

LOL I hope you've enough chickens!

LOL I hope you've enough chickens!

I have 6 , Ah sure il buy a few more if need be :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how have you had it insured if it's not in your name? If your going to so much bother why not just sign the declaration? I've a company van and am more worried about the BIK if it's taxed as private.

ted1 wrote: »
    how have you had it insured if it's not in your name? If your going to so much bother why not just sign the declaration? I've a company van and am more worried about the BIK if it's taxed as private.

I just transfered to insurance from my last van over to this van ted1.. Whats BIK ,excuse my ignorance..

you can not insure a anything that's not in your name. As you suffer no financial loss from loss or damage to it. It's like
    me insuring a strangers car. BIK is benefit in kind. A tax on a perk of a job at the moment i don't pay any but if it's classed as private i'd have to pay about 13.50 per cent of the dope court price in taxes.

you can not insure a anything that's not in your name. As you suffer no financial loss from loss or damage to it. It's like
    me insuring a strangers car. BIK is benefit in kind. A tax on a perk of a job at the moment i don't pay any but if it's classed as private i'd have to pay about 13.50 per cent of the dope court price in taxes.

So technically im not insured until i fill out that change of ownership form, is that what ur sayin ted.. Never knew of BIK ted , jesus they have every fcuking law under the sun now..

yes technical your not insured. They will not pay out. As you will have suffered no loss.

yes technical your not insured. They will not pay out. As you will have suffered no loss.

Right ted will sort it out straight away.. Any idea who much it will cost me to tax a 1.9 nissan primastar as private.. Also when i bought the van there was know tax disk up as it was just out , i see on the tax renewal form they want to know when the last motor tax expired , will they be able to tell me that at the tax office??

When did you buy the van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Flock number?I have a garden full of starlings, do I qualify for commercial tax?I love this little country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tax should be €582 privately. I'm pretty sure that's the Renault engine and it's under 1,900cc.

When did you buy the van?

Bought the van end of august limerick man but its still in last owner name...

R.O.R wrote: »
    Tax should be €582 privately. I'm pretty sure that's the Renault engine and it's under 1,900cc.

\Yeah think ur right ROR.. Its scandalous that a person whos unemployed has to fork out that sort of money to tax a van..

Flock number?I have a garden full of starlings, do I qualify for commercial tax?I love this little country.

Still dont know the full story with this, i was told by a friend who has a friend whos mother works in the vdepartment of agriculture , that people are flat out applying for these flock numbers to get the cheaper tax:D

Bought the van end of august limerick man but its still in last owner name...

Oh, when you transfer it into your name your can just tax away, you don't have to delcare it off the road because you didn't own it. I hope you didn't go through ANYTHING recognised your reg (checkpoints etc.) in the last few months though, could open up a can of worms that you don't want open.

• Advertisement

Oh, when you transfer it into your name your can just tax away, you don't have to delcare it off the road because you didn't own it. I hope you didn't go through ANYTHING recognised your reg (checkpoints etc.) in the last few months though, could open up a can of worms that you don't want open.

I know wat ur sayin limerick man hopefully i didnt .. Wasnt on the road much .. Im insured on it since september , dont they look for ur insurance disc when ur taxing ur vehicle, will anything be said when they see september on it..

No they look for your policy number.

Tbh you're breaking the law in a few ways in my eyes, in the next week get that van into your name and get it taxed. Take it from there then.

No they look for your policy number.

Tbh you're breaking the law in a few ways in my eyes, in the next week get that van into your name and get it taxed. Take it from there then.

Will do thanks for ur help limerick man..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Hi Former Great,

I've locked this thread as you're essentially asking for ways to pay Commercial motor tax when you're not eligible for it, which is against the Charter.

Thanks,

Chris

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement