Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Der Vaart Injury

Options
  • 09-12-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭

Came across this earlier in the week and meant to start a thread on it earlier.
    http://www.footytube.com/news/guardian/tottenhams-rafael-van-der-vaart-targets-early-return-from-injury-L4310
    Rafael van der Vaart has not ruled out making a surprise return from his hamstring injury against Chelsea on Sunday after undergoing treatment in the Netherlands last week with the unorthodox physiotherapist Dick van Toorn.
    The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder tore the muscle in the home victory over Liverpool at the end of last month and feared he would be ruled out for at least four weeks. But his hopes of a swifter return have been raised by a three-day visit to Van Toorn's practice in Rotterdam.
    Van der Vaart is now back in London and training. Tottenham's staff do not think he will recover fitness in time for the Chelsea game and it is more likely he will return at Blackpool the following Sunday, which would still represent a quicker than expected comeback. But Van der Vaart does not yet feel that the Chelsea match is beyond him.
    The 27-year-old has tremendous faith in Van Toorn, who he has seen over the past four years to enjoy speedy returns from muscle injuries, most notably at Real Madrid. He does not worry any longer about muscle strains because he knows that Van Toorn will be able to get him back on to the field quickly.
    Van Toorn, though, is a controversial figure, due to his innovative and unconventional methods, which speed up the healing process, and he is at the centre of a dispute with Bayern Munich over the fitness of Arjen Robben, Van der Vaart's Holland team-mate.
    Robben damaged his hamstring in the friendly against Hungary last June, only nine days before Holland kicked off their World Cup campaign in South Africa and there were fears over his participation at the showpiece. Yet, after treatment from Van Toorn, he was able to return as a substitute in Holland's final group game against Cameroon and start in their four ties thereafter, culminating in the final against Spain, which they lost 1-0.
    On his return to Bayern, however, the club's doctor Hans Muller-Wohlfahrt found a 5cm "hole" in the winger's thigh muscle, and he was incandescent. Robben has not played this season. "It is irresponsible that this was not diagnosed accurately and he has played with it," Muller-Wohlfahrt said. "I offered several times to help with the diagnosis but did not receive a call."
    The Bayern president, Uli Hoeness, said: "If Mr Van Toorn cannot recognise the injury, then he should buy himself some glasses. It was negligent of the Dutch to let Robben play for even a single second at the World Cup. We are demanding compensation."
    The criticism of Van Toorn is that his methods provide a short-term fix but can lead to problems in the longer term. Unsurpisingly, though, the comments from Bayern have gone down badly at the Dutch Football Federation, which has defended Van Toorn strongly.
    Van der Vaart has made an eye-catching start at Tottenham after his £8m arrival from Real, scoring eight goals in 14 appearances, although he has struggled with niggling injuries.
    After reading this I've become very worried about his injury and his treatment of it. I dont like the sound of that Van Twoon lad. I especially dont like the bit where it says Robben came back with 5cm (:eek:) hole in his hamstring!! And he hasnt played this season.
    This is exactly the sort of thing we dont need. I dont think Van Der Vaart should play this week, and not until all the medical staff are 100% sure he is fully fit. We'll need him a lot more as the season wears on. However, knowing Harry, and also taking into account VDV eagerness to play coupled with the fact that its Chelsea, I think he will. I just hope we dont regret it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

He might not be that bad
    Today, with Dutch Hope Arjen Robben injured, it seems there suddenly is flexibility in the KNVB camp. While Bert and Co travel to South Africa, Robben will work his arse of 12 hours per day with former Feyenoord physio Dick van Toorn and ex-Ajax/Oranje winger Tcheu La Ling.
    Dick van Toorn was the infamous and onorthodox Feyenoord physio, who left the Rotterdam club in 2001, when Feyenoord needed a full time physio. Dick also treated non-Feyenoord patients from his private treatment center and continued to want to do this, so Feyenoord cut him lose. Feyenoord recruited a new physio but allowed players who specifically needed/wanted van Toorn to keep on seeing him.
    Dick van Toorn – 76 years old! – is a modern shaman, an innovator, worked with many Oranje internationals in the past ( currently, he counts Sneijder, Van der Vaart and Robben as his patients while non other than Cruyff and Van Hanegem were patients in the past) and has demonstrated sensational results with muscle-injuries in particular.
    He helped Robben in 2008 as well. The Madrid player had a hamstring issue and the Madrid physio’s gave Robben 5 weeks to get fit. Van Toorn made sure Robben was back within 2 weeks. Van Toorn: “I won’t say anything negative about Real Madrid’s medical team, but I work differently. I must say I have opened their eyes.”
    After Van Toorn’s treatment, the Madrid physio’s conducted a new scan and echo to make sure Van Toorn wasn’t selling them fairytales. Robben was able to play straight away after the two week treatment, back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would rest him too, I'd rather he miss 3/4 games then the whole season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

ziedth wrote: »
    I would rest him too, I'd rather he miss 3/4 games then the whole season.

Dont play him. Crouch and JD should cause them plenty of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

VDV defo out as per Joe Jordan.

Advertisement