Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New pub in town?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Does anyone know when the new pub near the Irishmans is going to open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Does anyone know when the new pub near the Irishmans is going to open?

tell me more please

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CarlowRebel

Its 2 doors up from the Irishmans, i think its being setup by the gang from Scraggs. Over 23s. I wonder if its going to be an alternative to the Med. Open to correction, thats what i heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Carlow Rebel is correct. It's another Gerry Byrne (Beirne?) venture. The building faces the Courthouse and is between The Irishmans and Mullarky Hooper Dolan Insurance. It's to be called The Bank or The Bank House I understand.

It's to open within the week unless something goes very wrong.

Actually, now that you mention it, I do remember some work going on down there.
    Is it a fairly old looking building? Something along the lines of The Barracks?

It is indeed. It would never have struck me as having the potential to be converted into a pub. The one time I was in the building (years ago) Alan Millard was still running his solicitor's practice from it.

Considering the location I'd say they're targetting the more mature twenty somethings and upward.

• Advertisement

thats me, I'm that market :)

The Barracks is probably my favourite pub in town so I'll be interested to see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

johnn wrote: »
    Sounds fucking riveting, try heading up to a real place like dublin :cool:

:D

Actually I've walked past it a few times and it looks quite promising. I hope it will be a nice bar, cos god knows, I cant stand any of the current bars... least of all the barracks!:P

Carlow needs a nice trendy/grotty bar for older people. Not another barracks/med bar clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Over 23s.

Thought that was illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 squiggles1

That bar opened tonight and its called Carpe Diem.

squiggles1 wrote: »
    That bar opened tonight and its called Carpe Diem.

Ah well, that's me put back in my box so.

****e name though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Is the old building opposite the post office (deighton hall) being converted into a bar too?
    This is what i've been told anyway. Dunno if there's any truth to it though.

****e name though!

+1

Is the old building opposite the post office (deighton hall) being converted into a bar too?
    This is what i've been told anyway. Dunno if there's any truth to it though.

That was the plan at one stage but in the current climate who knows.

It's supposed to be now owned by Liam Byrne (Gerry's brother) but hey, what would I know?

I do know this though. I was in it a little over a year ago and it was in some state. It had some of the most impressive fungus growing on the walls and ceiling that I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was in the new place last night, nicely done, open fire,older crowd.Only - for me is that the toilets are upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

How old is the older crowd? Any live music etc? Just moved to Carlow town as of Monday so on the lookout for a new place! From my previous local we just used to head into Carlow after the pub shut for Foundry etc, so need to find somewhere to check out! Not really into stupidly loud bars etc, like to enjoy wine, conversation etc.

Thanks!

flossie wrote: »
    .........like to enjoy wine, conversation etc....

Thanks!

Sounds like you need to check in to this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

Yeah went there last week , quite nice, cosy , but nothing groundbreaking or anything, but a lot better than the Med etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

flossie wrote: »
    How old is the older crowd? Any live music etc? Just moved to Carlow town as of Monday so on the lookout for a new place! From my previous local we just used to head into Carlow after the pub shut for Foundry etc, so need to find somewhere to check out! Not really into stupidly loud bars etc, like to enjoy wine, conversation etc.

Thanks!

Was in there New Year's night and I guess the majority were in the 30-50 range. No live music then, and imo the layout makes it difficult to have any and it's quite narrow in places.
    In fact there was no piped music either, just the buzz of chatty customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

My brother in Law was in it over xmas and he found it to be quiet comfy and definitely said it was some place that he would go back to for a few drinks..

Advertisement