Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painters/decorators in Inishowen

Options
  • 09-12-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a painter in the Inishowen area to do a house interior (maybe just downstairs 1st, although may be full house).

Can anyone recommend a reputable and reliable one, who is not too hard to pay and good at their job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What do you mean , not hard to pay?

You hand him the money, he takes the money. Easy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You know what I mean !

I have been asking around and have heard quotes per day of between £70 for a guy from NI to €100.

Anyone got any painting done recently, and if so, what was the daily rate?

Ok. What do you expect to be paying as 70 quid is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

Dont mess with daily rates.. you don't want some of these cowboys taking the piss. Too many painters trying to get paid enough for one job so they dont have to work for the rest of the month :D

Agree a price for the job beforehand and pay him when its done.
    Any decent painter will know how long it will take so no need to get fleeced on hourly rates :p

There are plenty of painters out there willing to do this.

if they are not willing then you have to ask why... and move on to a painter who is.

That extra 200 euro is better in your pocket than his :D

Duster wrote: »
    Dont mess with daily rates.. you don't want some of these cowboys taking the piss. Too many painters trying to get paid enough for one job so they dont have to work for the rest of the month :D

Agree a price for the job beforehand and pay him when its done.
    Any decent painter will know how long it will take so no need to get fleeced on hourly rates :p

There are plenty of painters out there willing to do this.

if they are not willing then you have to ask why... and move on to a painter who is.

That extra 200 euro is better in your pocket than his :D

Agree totally with you there Duster.

Dont forget that the tradesman that quotes you has to pay tax, accountants fees, public liability insurance, desiel, van insurance etc, it doesnt all go into the pocket.

• Advertisement

btw, I never said £70 per day was too much.

I simply mentioned it as a quote I had heard for a local painter. I have never had this done before so I'm not sure what the going daily rate is, hence why I'm asking.

That quote btw is for a guy who is not reporting this income if you know what I mean, so I'm guessing any official painting firm's rate would be a fair bit higher. I have seen some of the work this £70 per day guy has done and he is very good.

I see, Hes on the dole, possibly in both the North and the South, no insurance etc. Probably not even a tradesman. 70 quids too much then! Give him 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    That quote btw is for a guy who is not reporting this income if you know what I mean...

Ohh dear.... i'm saying nothing :rolleyes:

Ohh dear.... i'm saying nothing :rolleyes:

Whys that Homer, same county i see, by any chance are you a "painter".

D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Whys that Homer, same county i see, by any chance are you a "painter".

D'oh!

So do you think its right that someone from the north who "isn't declaring their income" should have the right to go into someones house uninsured, unregistered to paint illegally, while possibly putting other painters on the dole? thats part of the reason why the county is the way it is!!!! :mad: It doesn't matter if its a painter or a plumber or any tradesman what they are doing is wrong, and you're encouraging it, lol.

Off topic rant over, back on topic now please....

Good luck in the painter hunting NI MAN

• Advertisement

Let's be honest about this, a lot of people who get work like this carried out in their house will do it based on price first and foremost, irrespective of whether the person is legal or not, insured or not. The black economy in this country is massive.

Now I have seen this guys work and its very very good. He is a perfectionist. Now should I be bothered if he is 'doing the double' or not? If he is doing it for 25% cheaper than others then need I worry about insurance, his VAT returns (or lack of them) etc?

We would all like to employ official tradesmen who carry insurance and pay their taxes, but we are all guilty of not doing this on occasions. I would like to think that in this current climate there would be a supply over demand, and I might get a decent price either way.

edit. Although I might have said this guy was from the North, he actually lives in RoI.

So do you think its right that someone from the north who "isn't declaring their income" should have the right to go into someones house uninsured, unregistered to paint illegally, while possibly putting other painters on the dole? thats part of the reason why the county is the way it is!!!! :mad: It doesn't matter if its a painter or a plumber or any tradesman what they are doing is wrong, and you're encouraging it, lol.

Off topic rant over, back on topic now please....

Good luck in the painter hunting NI MAN

Gotta disagree with you there as I too live in the border region and the nordies swamp our area too. Ive served my apprenticeship to the ttrade and im as p1ssed off as you.
    Think its NI MAN whos encouraging it.

Mate of mine went north once to do a job and within 1 hour was aproached and told if he was not off site in 15 mins his van would be burnt!

Wasn't encouraging it, simply adding that I was given a quote of £70 per day from a guy who I was nearly sure was doing it on the QT.

Did you ever, ever employ anyone to do a job at your house who might have not been declaring himself to Revenue? Lets all get off our high horses here, and face facts. Say I get a quote for a good job at £350 or a good job at €600, which would most people think I would take? Which would you take? (figures hypothetical of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Duster

looks like there are a few painters posting here, maybe they could say what the hourly rate is ?

or how they wud price a job ?

at the end of the day, the customer can choose where they spend their money, be it in the north, roi or anywhere else.

it value for money we look for !

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right lads. Can we stick with discussing the going rate for painting and leave everything else for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I am sure there are lots of good painters looking for work and will bargain given the current circumstances.

If you think they are very expensive you could ask to see their Tax Clearance Certificate and insurance. If they are reputible they will have both to quote for commercial business.

Also, tell them you are paying by cheque, they will probably want cash and bargain to be paid so.

I don't know any up there but hopefully the above info will help you separate the cowboys from the tradesmen.

Either way a good tradesman should know how long it will take and price that way rather than per day. Buy the paint yourself too as most have discounts from suppliers but do mark up the price if they supply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Buy the paint yourself too as most have discounts from suppliers but do mark up the price if they supply it.
    If whoever you get to do it does have a discount I would let them get the paint, because they are likely to get good stuff for the same price as own brand crap, and then even if they do mark it up a bit its still worth it. It may not seem like there could be much difference but you wouldn't believe the difference quality paint makes, in terms of the finish and how long it will last. A lot of people say "Ah sure its only paint", but dulux especially is well worth the extra few euro in the long run.

A quick tip too: If you decide to get the paint yourself, get them to mix up the colours you want instead of buying premixed stuff, its a LOT cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I agree with the above posters. Get a price for the job and avoid day rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Its hard to say what the going rate is,you'll get people not working at present for around €70-€80 a day maybe less maybe more.
    Thats what people are charging down here

Advertisement