Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Deal on xBox 360 Connect?

• 09-12-2010 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Probably asking a stupid question but wondering where is the best place to get an xBox 360 Connect?

Is the connect just the wireless add-on device?
    Anyone know any good deals out there?

Thanks in advance from a confused parent!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Hi, do you already have an X Box or do you need the X Box and Kinect?

If you need both the starting RRP is €299.99 for the 4GB Console. The 250GB Bundle is €349.99 but appears to be sold out nearly nationwide.

Kinect on its own sells for €179.99 RRP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

niallon wrote: »

If you need both the starting RRP is €299.99 for the 4GB Console. The 250GB Bundle is €349.99 but appears to be sold out nearly nationwide.

or €150 without kinect adventures ( a poor game anyway )

or €150 without kinect adventures ( a poor game anyway )

Sorry I got my price wrong, it's €149.99 with Kinect Adventures, €179.99 in Smyths with any other Kinect game of your choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Don't already have an xBox. Is the hard drive a standard one (i.e. can you use a standard external drive?). Not sure why anyone would need 250GB but I am sure there is a valid reason - presumably the console can be used as a media centre also?

Anyways, 4GB would do grand for the kids. Looking for a decent Bundle (with Kinect) and a game or two!

paulocon wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Don't already have an xBox. Is the hard drive a standard one (i.e. can you use a standard external drive?). Not sure why anyone would need 250GB but I am sure there is a valid reason - presumably the console can be used as a media centre also?

Anyways, 4GB would do grand for the kids. Looking for a decent Bundle (with Kinect) and a game or two!

As regards Hard Drives you can pick up one from the old models and install to the new one, not the most painstaking procedure! Alternatively you can now use a memory stick. The only reason to want a bigger HD is to download content from X Box Live (demos, movies, music, arcade games etc) but there has also been some issues with the 4GB namely that Halo Reach cannot be played online with a 4GB as it requires a larger HD for online and the 4GB is recognised as flash memory, not a HD.

Basically, I'd personally suggest a 250GB simply as it worked out handier for me but knowing now about installing the old HDs etc etc I'd say you're safe with a 4GB, in which case you want the Kinect Bundle for €299.99. If you do want the 250GB then your best bet is likely to buy the 250Gb seperately for €249.99 then Kinect for €149.99, it'll cost an extra €50 overall but you decide if the bigger HD is worth it! Hope this helps! :D

• Advertisement

As regards Hard Drives you can pick up one from the old models and install to the new one, not the most painstaking procedure! Alternatively you can now use a memory stick. The only reason to want a bigger HD is to download content from X Box Live (demos, movies, music, arcade games etc) but there has also been some issues with the 4GB namely that Halo Reach cannot be played online with a 4GB as it requires a larger HD for online and the 4GB is recognised as flash memory, not a HD.

Basically, I'd personally suggest a 250GB simply as it worked out handier for me but knowing now about installing the old HDs etc etc I'd say you're safe with a 4GB, in which case you want the Kinect Bundle for €299.99. If you do want the 250GB then your best bet is likely to buy the 250Gb seperately for €249.99 then Kinect for €149.99, it'll cost an extra €50 overall but you decide if the bigger HD is worth it! Hope this helps! :D

Many thanks for that. It's for younger kids so I think the 4GB will do fine! I'll take a look around and see what packages are available.

Just checked Argos and they look to be sold out!!

Wonder is this the case in most suppliers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

paulocon wrote: »
    Just checked Argos and they look to be sold out!!

Wonder is this the case in most suppliers?

nah, im sure there are some available. Ring around some gamestops and xtra visions. You'll deffo get one. do it soon tho

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

just heard this today and confirmed in store Kinect is available for €119.99 in Tesco stores - best deal to be had i thinks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Another reason to consider the 250GB HDD is the ability to install games, much like a PC. You'll still need to put the disk in the DVD drive to authenticate the game but the console will be much quieter without the drive always spinning.

With young kids you'll want to avoid them scratching disks and an installed game may continue to work even if some of the disk that is unused for authentication is scratched.
    Of course you probably cannot use that disk to reinstall in the future... Long story short young kids + DVDs = scratch city.

A HDD installed game also typically improves loading times and some games work better when installed, i.e. they crash less.

You can get a 250GB drive for ~€90 and add it at a later date.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=13352&langId=111&searchTerms=xbox+harddrive&authToken=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Hi,
    Just want to add a question (another non-gamer parent :o). Would the 4gb be enough for a ten year old who just wants to play games and nothing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

that would be fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Can anyone recommend the best place to buy an Xbox before xmas?

It wont be used for online gaming and not interested in Kinect so just looking for the basic
    game playing model.

thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

cue wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just want to add a question (another non-gamer parent :o). Would the 4gb be enough for a ten year old who just wants to play games and nothing else?

The 4GB model is no different than any other model in terms of what it does. The pricer models have things like Kinect, or loads more storage in the from of a hard drive. Installing the games on disk is nice (see above) and the 4GB model will limit this functionality but it'll play games just fine.

You can always add a HDD, Kinect etc in the future if you decide you want them.
    panama wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the best place to buy an Xbox before xmas?

It wont be used for online gaming and not interested in Kinect so just looking for the basic
    game playing model.

thanks.

Everyone seems to be offering bundles so there are deals to be had depending if the bundle contents suit you.
    I bought mine in Tesco quite cheaply at the time.
    Buying online has the risk of not getting it in time.

Advertisement