Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC box deleted all recordings.

• 09-12-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

hi, never posted here (this forum) before but I'm wondering if similar has happened to anyone else today.

Over the last week or two our UPC DVR (A Thompson DCI62UPC model, the silver DVR) started deleting old recordings, unprotected ones mostly and over a month old. lost some good stuff in the process too, mostly kids stuff for our young son.

Yesterday a bunch more stuff got deleted, much more recent recordings.

Today it finished the job and deleted everything much to my wife's annoyance and now she wants to pack the whole thing in and move to sky.

Is any one else experiencing similar occurrences? The disc management is off, so i'm fairly sure its not that!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PIKOMAN

When I turned on Box this morning, ALL my recordings had been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rjr2

same here, all recordings gone from this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PIKOMAN

Interesting.... so its not just me then, So UPC must have done something last night? Anyone else have all there recordings deleted last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jacklennon

My recordings got wiped a few weeks ago, was left unable to record, pause, forward or rewind. After a week of phone calls they eventually replaced the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sadie9

This has happened to us again for a second time at about 8.40pm this evening. Happened in July last year also. UPC box suddenly went blank, then came back on with the initialisation screen. All DVR recordings wiped, it's such a pain.
    UPC told me that it is 'rare' but it can happen. Wonder if UPC did an upgrade at that point or is it the machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭sadie9

Right - UPC have told me now when I rang to complain, that because I never actually disconnect the UPC box from the power, that when 'upgrades build up' as they put it, the box will reset itself and then delete all the recordings and return itself to initialisation stage!
    This is the first I have heard of this. Surely if the boxes needed to be disconnected from the electricity every couple of weeks (they told me), this should be written someone on the customer information or the website??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rjr2

Since my orginal post this has happened twice more. The first time, UPC said they'd get back to me but never did. The second time they sent out an "engineer" who basically reset the factory settings and now after it's happened for the third time they are replacing the box.

So annoying, I never heard of a computer that just deletes it's contents when it goes wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That is quite shocking to hear. Does anyone know of a way to backup recordings to an external hdd ? Is anything like that possible at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brian De Tazzzie

sadie9 wrote: »
    This has happened to us again for a second time at about 8.40pm this evening. Happened in July last year also. UPC box suddenly went blank, then came back on with the initialisation screen. All DVR recordings wiped, it's such a pain.
    UPC told me that it is 'rare' but it can happen. Wonder if UPC did an upgrade at that point or is it the machine?

BOOM. Box crashed tonight, existing recordings are still there, but future recording are wiped out. So my angry wife is trying to sort them all out and reprogramme them.

Its not the 1st time this year, and its quite tiresome.
    Broadband is great tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

All my recordings wiped from HD box yesterday!! We have 3 boxes in the house but only one affected! So annoying! The tv channels were jumpy with sound gaps so I turned off, unplugged and restarted the box. Solved channel problem but wiped all recordings!!! :0( Strange thing is the space is still showing as used!! No recordings and 90% available space so the other 10% worth of recordings must be somewhere???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭randox

This has happened to me twice in the last year. Each time they just replaced the HD box. Technicians and Customer Service claim they have never seen the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

This has just recently happened to our DVR. Went to watch something yesterday and all of our recordings have been wiped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Arrghhhhhhh. The flucking box repeatedly deletes the programs I have scheduled to record. The shows that have been recorded are left alone but programs set to record just disappear and I have to try and remember what I wanted to see and when it was on.

This is so damned annoying- this has happened at least or four times now. Does anyone know what the story is with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you are not happy contact UPC and if still not happy insist box is replaced. If not leave UPC. You are paying for a service. If it cannot be fixed by replacing the box then the service is not up to scratch.

Last week I turned on my UPC HD box and saw the entire TV planner had been wiped out and was replaced with one recording (that I had not placed) listed 12 times. How is it possible that the same show can be requested 12 times?

photoefz.jpg

Had the technician out yesterday and he had no idea how this happened. Just did a reset of the box. This is my 5th box in 3 years. Twice I had all the recordings mysteriously wiped out. UPC claim they've never seen this before. Getting fed up mith mediocre software and hardware with them.

Was going to switch to SKY last month but UPC offered me a deal to stay. Now I'm stuck with them for 12 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

randox wrote: »
    UPC claim they've never seen this before. Getting fed up mith mediocre software and hardware with them.

They've seen it in my house!

Had the box replaced a few months and since yesterday the replacement box is in an endless reboot loop...

My entire planner was deleted again yesterday - second time this month. Tech was out 2 weeks and just reset the box to default settings. This is maddening. And whoever suggest replacing the box - that's not the answer. This box was just replace about 5 weeks ago.

Calling them is a waste of time because they always know nothing about it and say they can send out a technician. I can't keep taking time off from work.

If its software updates and we are suppose to unplug the box they should be sending texts out to alert us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭dohboy

All my recordings just got wiped. This stinks.

Seems to be an ongoing problem with UPC. After several years of this you'd think they would have it sorted. The area manager came out to my house last week (after all my problems) and wanted to take the box away for the techies to 'study'.

I refused because I have hours of recordings and and didn't eant to lose them. I've had 4 boxes replaced in the last 2 years.

I'm hoping its a backup of updates. So I and trying to remember to turn my box off at the mains once a week to allow them to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭phishcakes

Mine recently deleted all my recordings and its not the 1st time its happened, really starting to bug me now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement