Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal detector portlaoise?

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello there,
    I'm at my wits end trying to find my engagement ring, wedding ring and another nice ring that all mean the world to me. I've decided it's time to get a metal detector, because of the snow I have had no chance of looking where I think/hope/pray they are. It's in the Portlaoise area, does anyone know if there would be a chance of renting a metal detector there?
    Long story...had the rings in my hand before I left the house but later on they weren't on my fingers, have checked the obvious areas and am down to this area they may have fallen out in.
    I'd love your help,:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Dman that sucks.
    Dont know anywhere around here but you can buy cheap ones in Maplins in Dublin. Its on jervis street. Ring ahead to see if they have them in stock.
    Good luck and i hope you find the rings.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I feal for you on this one, my mother dropped her engagment ring into the ashes one day when bring them out. She only copped it later. Problem is there was about 5 large bags of ashes in the shed and she did not know which one it was. I had to spread them all out over the shed floor and search. Alas it was never found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

KWS may be able to help 057 86 21479

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irishmissus

Thanks a mill, I had a look today and no joy that's with some snow still on the ground so will try those ideas, Maplins and the phone no....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I thought Metal Detector's were illegal in Ireland no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Augmerson wrote: »
    I thought Metal Detector's were illegal in Ireland no?

No. As good as in most cases but strictly speaking, no. Plenty of info on that here on Boards. You must assure yourself that you are not near a national monument, discovered or as yet undiscovered. A pretty much impossible task.

However, in practice, once you are not near a current national monument, the Gardai won't bother you. Also, on beaches (apart from listed ones) you are also good to go. Obviously, once you're also not infringing on someone else's private property rights.

In this case, this Boardsie would do well to hire someone who knows how to use a metal detector. Hiring one from a DIY outlet can be done BUT those detectors are not designed for finding rings. Only a good detectorist can work with a machine not designed for purpose. I have pm'd the OP and I hope they are successful

Many thanks all,

I will see what I can do tomorrow, less convinced now that I lost them outdoors where I thought so am supplementing with prayers to St Anthony..

I'll post with positive news I hope,

An Ri rua wrote: »
    No. As good as in most cases but strictly speaking, no. Plenty of info on that here on Boards. You must assure yourself that you are not near a national monument, discovered or as yet undiscovered. A pretty much impossible task.

However, in practice, once you are not near a current national monument, the Gardai won't bother you. Also, on beaches (apart from listed ones) you are also good to go. Obviously, once you're also not infringing on someone else's private property rights.

In this case, this Boardsie would do well to hire someone who knows how to use a metal detector. Hiring one from a DIY outlet can be done BUT those detectors are not designed for finding rings. Only a good detectorist can work with a machine not designed for purpose. I have pm'd the OP and I hope they are successful

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Any luck...did you try the Garda station you'd be suprised what stuff is handed in...

So happy, my rings have, ahem- 'shown up'.....as in they were in my house all the time. Little embaressed but the happiness outweighs the mortification:o...I want to thank you all for helping me out...and St Anthony and my mam who found them.......
    Thank you Thank you Happy Christmas!!!!

Advertisement