Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-domain Vs Add On Domain

Options
  • 09-12-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a new web host, currently I'm with Vodahost and have 4 different sites on it

My primary one is www.techinfo-4u.com

Now I have 3 other sites,
    www.visionlandscapes.ie
    www.nextiphonenews.com
    www.bloginsomnia.com

I have these listed in my control panel as add on domains but also as sub-domains

say if you put in, nextiphonenews.techinfo-4u.com you will get www.nextiphonenews.com as well under that domain

Is that the subdomain one and the fact that my site comes up as www.nextiphonenews.com is because it's accessing the add on domain?

The reason I need to know if because I want to change hosts, but none seem to offer add on domains on their basic cheaper packages. only sub-domains

My current package with vodahost gives me unlimited amounts of these

anyone got any recommendations for other hosts?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A sub-domain includes part of the domain.

For example:

Your domain would be:

mydomain.com

Some sub-domains are:

mobile.mydomain.com
    mail.mydomain.com
    portal.mydomain.com
    salmon.mydomain.com

Depending on the host some allow multiple domains and some allow multiple sub-domains. You have to check with whoever you are going to host with to see what their policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most hosts would allow both subdomains and extra / addon domains these days.

Advertisement