Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow in Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

look at that heavy snow and still a bus up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A beer run - Canadians love more than Beer and Ice Hockey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

at least he made the beer run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

123balltv wrote: »
    look at that heavy snow and still a bus up and running
    In fairness I think places like this are more prepared for snow than us Irish, we're used to the Atlantic fronts sweeping in with rain at this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

fizzycyst wrote: »
    In fairness I think places like this are more prepared for snow than us Irish, we're used to the Atlantic fronts sweeping in with rain at this time of year

I know im just messing :) the Canadians are snow experts
    us Irish are rain experts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

I know im just messing the Canadians are snow experts

we sure are:) maybe we'll be snow experts by the end of this winter, and some snow ploughs and such things will be purchased for the future......we'll have to wait and see (but hopefully) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

They get snow every year - Our snow is unpredictible!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I lived there for a few years back in the late 1970s. There was a lake effect snowstorm in Jan 76 that dumped even more than you're seeing in these videos; they had to put markers on the fire hydrants so the fire crews could find them in case of an emergency! Markers were eight foot poles with flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

123balltv wrote: »
    I know im just messing :) the Canadians are snow experts
    Nothing to do with being rain only experts, snow is just used as an excuse for a day off work here. Seriously though you have to laugh when you look at them videos and they can cope no bother in Canada, here everything shuts down. Where I live there has still been no sign of a gritter and the roads here are a mess :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

I'm not so sure how effective gritting is. Our roads were gritted but still lethal the next day. We dont have winter tyres, generally, not enough snow for snow chains. Our school is up a slight slope, none of the residential houses clear their own paths meaning the school closes due to slippery access. They clear their own site but not down the whole road.

I think its fun, but thats because I'm not vulnerable, I can imagine its miserable for others and those who need to work but cant and dont get paid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I lived there for a few years back in the late 1970s. There was a lake effect snowstorm in Jan 76 that dumped even more than you're seeing in these videos; they had to put markers on the fire hydrants so the fire crews could find them in case of an emergency! Markers were eight foot poles with flags.

They do a similar thing in Norway to mark the roads out, helpful in blizzards when everything is white.

TotenTransportpHardangervidda92.jpg

Advertisement