Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera talk what do you use??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I had a Canon EOS 450D with an old second hand 75-300mm f4-5.6 111 USM lens, upgraded to a 550D with a Sigma 150-500mm lens, they were pretty good and I was happy with them all, Sigma lens was a bit heavy, slow to focus, sturdy but ok. Then just over a month or so ago I traded in the 550 & Sigma along with selling off some other sporting gear, and bought a new Canon 7D with a Canon EF 300mm f4 IS USM lens.

Very happy with the package, lots to learn about them both but getting there. I do think however that I need a longer lens, most of my photo’s are cropped to the last, maybe a 400mm at least. I’ll have to sell off more of my other toys to finance it I think….or I could write a letter to Santa maybe….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Investigate a 1.4x converter V Bull, before selling such a nice lens. :)

A quick google says the lens will retain AF with the 1.4x, but not the 2x. You'd end up with a 420mm f/5.6 lens.

1D + 100-400mm in use here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

whyulittle wrote: »
    Investigate a 1.4x converter V Bull, before selling such a nice lens. :)

A quick google says the lens will retain AF with the 1.4x, but not the 2x. You'd end up with a 420mm f/5.6 lens.

1D + 100-400mm in use here.

+1 on the teleconverter.

I use the 300mm f4L with a 1.4x t/c and its the biz. AF is a bit slower but otherwise its fine. The image quality from most of the L series lenses is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks a mill Whyulittle & Half-cocked, you have saved me a packet. I think Santa might be able to afford the t/c..

Thanks again..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Do you know if you can you use the converter with a sigma lens?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    I have a Canon 450D which I'm not altogether happy with considering how much it cost. It has has a tendency to overexpose which means having to mess with it and pics a bit too much for my liking.
    I have a sigma 70-300mm lens which is a pretty good zoom....but not quite good enough. I think I "need"* :pac: a stronger zoom.

I also find it's not great for macro and have trouble focusing on the small stuff so I also "need"* a macro lens.

* I can also dream on :rolleyes:

Sigma have their own, here is a compatability chart.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-lens-teleconverter-compatability-chart

For cheaper Macro, check out Kenko Extension Tubes LB. They let you focus closer than normal, so you get closer than normal. They don't contain any glass, so don't deteriorate the image.

This was taken with just a 50mm lens, with extension tubes.

B7E2E1F4C77543BF977B2F1026EAF2F9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

littlebug wrote: »
    Do you know if you can you use the converter with a sigma lens?

Probably not the Canon t/c, but Sigma make their own, check for compatibility on their website. Not all lenses are able to accept t/c's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i have this camera.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00342UTPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316555306&sr=8-1

its ok, the zoom is obviously the best part of it.
    pic quality can be quite bad.

would love to upgrade to a dslr, but wouldnt be able to afford a lens to get good shots of birds.
    would the dslr with your standard 18 - 55 lens be any good for birds that arent 20 feet in front of you?

whyulittle wrote: »
    For cheaper Macro, check out Kenko Extension Tubes LB. They let you focus closer than normal, so you get closer than normal. They don't contain any glass, so don't deteriorate the image.

This was taken with just a 50mm lens, with extension tubes.

interesting. I have a 50mm lens. I wonder how the macro on that with extension tube would compare to macro with the standard 18-55mm lens. I just find it really hard to get decent focus.
    Probably not the Canon t/c, but Sigma make their own, check for compatibility on their website. Not all lenses are able to accept t/c's.

I'll do my homework on both t/c and extension tube in time for santa :cool:
    trebor28 wrote: »

would the dslr with your standard 18 - 55 lens be any good for birds that arent 20 feet in front of you?

In my experience no :( which why I got the Sigma which is good but I feel I still want more!
    Quality may be down to lack of skill though. I do think tripod is probably one of the most helpful things but not something you tend to carry round with you when out for a walk in the woods. I do sometimes carry around a little mini table tripod which can help to stabilise things.

Also ... what software do others use? Any alternative to picassa? (which I love).

You can get a one-legged tripod, called a.....monopod - funnily enough. :)

It just takes the weight of the camera/lens to keep them steady, which is all you need for wildlife.

I'd just handhold though, unless your gear is very heavy or it was particularly windy like it has been the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I bought a tripod recently from Aldi around €15 will use it for photographing art, but really its not practical to drag around when photographing wildlife etc.. I like to point and shoot and walk :O)

Some of you dslr guys have completly lost me talking about different lenses etc, but thanks for sharing...

The software I use is an inexpensive programme I bought on disc on ebay called "gimp2" very easy to use and works well, does all I want anyway...

see gimp here
    http://www.gimp.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

artieanna wrote: »
    I bought a tripod recently from Aldi around €15 will use it for photographing art, but really its not practical to drag around when photographing wildlife etc.. I like to point and shoot and walk :O)

Some of you dslr guys have completly lost me talking about different lenses etc, but thanks for sharing...

The software I use is an inexpensive programme I bought on disc on ebay called "gimp2" very easy to use and works well, does all I want anyway...

see gimp here
    http://www.gimp.org/

GIMP is free :eek:, you shouldn't have had to pay for it. It's pretty good, and there are plenty of tutorials on the net as well as a couple of good books. Now one of those IS worth paying for, IMO.

Keep an eye on your local Tesco for good deals on batteries/chargers/memory.

There is a thread in Bargain Alerts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

cscook wrote: »
    GIMP is free :eek:, you shouldn't have had to pay for it. It's pretty good, and there are plenty of tutorials on the net as well as a couple of good books. Now one of those IS worth paying for, IMO.

It is I realised that when I looked up the link, Paid very little for it and the disc was handy to put on a few computers. At the time I never thought of looking up freeware stuff...:(

Santa came early :) Sigma 50mm F2.8 D Macro acquired today. Now I just need the weather to change so I can go out and take photos of small things:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

You need the wind to die down too!
    Have fun - a macro is a great addition to any lens kit.

Advertisement