Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second year history

Options
  • 10-12-2010 12:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

How is everyone set for the exams?

I'm really screwed for the International History one on Saturday. I'm not sure what to make of the questions on the sample papers. They seem to be either too broad or too specific, or both. It's hard to really know what to study.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Yeah not feeling great at all. My tutor said the questions would be very like the sample paper so I've been focusing on that. Not feeling great about the Irish history one either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Yeah I'm the same. I'm not looking forward to either of them at all but I'm just thinking about the one on Saturday for the moment. I was hoping the email from William Mulligan yesterday would give us something!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'll probably be able to waffle my way through the Cold War question, but I haven't a clue about the pre-1945 stuff. As usual the course was way too broad.

I haven't even started studying for the Irish history one yet, but at least there were notes provided for that.

Yeah it was hard to keep up with everything they say in the lectures and you kind of miss the good stuff when scribbling away.
    The course is so broad really detailed at the same time. So many millions of things to think about in it!
    Having a break to watch the soaps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublineese

Anyone heard or been given any hints or tips for the 16th/17th Century History exam on Thursday? Im dreading it! And from talking to folks in general, dont think Im the only one! I heard the Ulster Plantation is likely but I dont know if thats just people talking or for definite...

Its going to be anoter long night at the books for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You and me both.

If you look at the mock paper and the past papers the topics are fairly predictable. 5 questions per section this year, so basically one question on each lecture. Or so i assume. I reckon most questions can be twisted to suit the general answer that you might have prepared.

I'm still screwed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

IH went terrible nothing I studied came up :(

And for LRI I'm focussing on Grey/St.Leger/Sussex and the Confederation of Kilkenny!

What's everyone else doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

5 questions per section this year, so basically one question on each lecture. Or so i assume.

Can you confirm where you heard this because the past-papers vary considerably when it come to the level of choice.

This exam could go either way for me because I'm taking a gamble with the questions. I just hope Jesus is in a good mood on the day.

Can you confirm where you heard this because the past-papers vary considerably when it come to the level of choice.
    On Blackboard it says that the exam will have the same structure and number of questions as the mock paper. The mock paper has 5 questions per section. It's under Course Information.

On Blackboard it says that the exam will have the same structure and number of questions as the mock paper. The mock paper has 5 questions per section. It's under Course Information.

Ah O.K. I never saw that one. Cheers!

• Advertisement

For Section A Im thinking, St Leger, Grey, Sidney, Sussex and Surrender and regrant. Then maybe religion and roughly what was in lecture 4.

As for section B, Im praying the land/Ulster plantation comes up, or I could answer a question on the graces and the 1641 rebellion at a push. Not confident for this one at all I have to say! :(

At least it'll be over this time tomorrow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Confederation of Kilkenny usually seems to come up in the second section. As an aside I don't understand people saying they're "screwed" 36 or so hours before an exam. That's loads of time to study! If you did even an hour of good study for 4 topics you'd probably do really well and be covered.

We were told that the format had changed so not to go by the past papers. That is why they gave out the sample paper...it still seems to be one question per week as far as I can make out. The sample paper seems a little tougher though as they are asking about dates whereas the past papers specifically said things like 'why did the reformation fail' etc. For some reason with this subject I can't get it into my head when things happened.
    bleugh

We were told that the format had changed so not to go by the past papers. That is why they gave out the sample paper...it still seems to be one question per week as far as I can make out. The sample paper seems a little tougher though as they are asking about dates whereas the past papers specifically said things like 'why did the reformation fail' etc. For some reason with this subject I can't get it into my head when things happened.
    bleugh

Totally agree with ya there its just not something that sticks in your head! Which makes it difficult to bull**** if the questions you want dont come up! :cool:

From what I can see the dates on the sample paper correspond to the dates covered in each lecture. Same with previous years. I'm bad with dates as well, but I don't think there's anything tricky about the questions in this regard.

From what I can see the dates on the sample paper correspond to the dates covered in each lecture. Same with previous years. I'm bad with dates as well, but I don't think there's anything tricky about the questions in this regard.

No there isn't, its just my head keeps confusing it all.

I'm very short on time so I'm doing the nine years war and the Confederacy... anything else and I'm screwed, here's hoping!

Offside wrote: »
    I'm very short on time so I'm doing the nine years war and the Confederacy... anything else and I'm screwed, here's hoping!

Lucky me... how'd everyone else do?

Offside wrote: »
    Lucky me... how'd everyone else do?

I only studied those two questions as well... didn't want to jinx myself so I didn't say anything. Exam was pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

I think tutorials should be abolished. 50 minutes of everybody staring at the floor. I've never learnt much in any of them. I hate that they count for 10%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement