Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland - England "Friendly" next June?

• 10-12-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭

I only caught a glance of tomorrows Star front page and it reports "Yobs to return to Aviva in June friendly"!

I don't have a link and havn't heard about this proposed friendly. Has anyone? Sorry if theres already a thread.

The Queen and the English in Dublin in the one year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Maybe the headline is about Rovers playing there ;)

But seriously they probably just made it up. Nothing has happened in football the last 24 hours bar Alan Pardew being unveiled as Newcastle manager and that aint gonna sell papers and Ireland friendlies are pretty much set in stone with all that celtic cup nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

lol at "friendly" in inverted commas :rolleyes:

I thought we were past that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

What, rivalry?

I would suggest the headline from a national newspaper is more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I cant see any reason to be past that seeing that we didnt kick a ball against them since they started the "renovation" of landsdowne the last time they were here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Not welcome after the last time tbh. We can do without the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Id like to see it. Hopefully it is organised properly and their is no violence at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

8th of June is apparntley the date although the game itself is not confirmed .sure it was hassle free when England rugby team came to Dublin.And we all know how dangerous rugby crowds are :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I welcome it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Soby wrote: »
    sure it was hassle free when England rugby team came to Dublin.And we all know how dangerous rugby crowds are :P
    Moyself and Fiachra thought they were absolute brutes loike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

jayney... now i'm gonna spend the day looking at the youtube videos of 95 again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

baldbear wrote: »
    I only caught a glance of tomorrows Star front page and it reports "Yobs to return to Aviva in June friendly"!

I wonder what the opinion would be here re; a English tabloid headline alone the lines of Paddies/Terrorists to attend Wembley.

I think these fixtures should actually be banned until people in both countries can get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this would be huge IMO. i defo want this to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The pitch at the Aviva is going to get destroyed!

EL final, a load of games in the home nations cup, possible Rugby match or two, all in May, and then this in June. Pitch will be in bits by the time this game rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The pitch at the Aviva is going to get destroyed!

EL final, a load of games in the home nations cup, possible Rugby match or two, all in May, and then this in June. Pitch will be in bits by the time this game rolls around.
    It's grass they are playing on, not porcelain.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's grass they are playing on, not porcelain.
    oh - so you have never seen a pitch get destroyed from being played on too much in a short space of time? fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

or the majority of people reading this thread have an understanding of 'context' at the very least and will associate the term "The Queen" with the queen of England. It isn't a big leap in interpretation of what was written.

It would also be a case that given the saturation of English based media, where she would be referred to as "The Queen", it would be common place for Irish to refer to her as that. In much the same way United fans on here (and around the world) would refer to the United manager as Sir Alex Ferguson, though we would have no need or reason to as it is not a title of our land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

oh - so you have never seen a pitch get destroyed from being played on too much in a short space of time? fair enough.
    Not in June in the Aviva, that's all that matter.

I'm willing to lay you €100 that the pitch won't be an issue. The market will be decided by the general sentiment of the RTE pundits who cover the game.

On?

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Not in June in the Aviva, that's all that matter.

I'm willing to lay you €100 that the pitch won't be an issue. The market will be decided by the general sentiment of the RTE pundits who cover the game.

On?

No.

Number 1. I don't care even nearly enough.
    Number 2. I am far to miserly with my money to put it at any risk at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Star is a gutter rag I'd not take my lead from them on ANYTHING.

As for a game of football, why not. The longer its left the worse it becomes as 1995 takes on some sort of bizarre mythology. We're all a long way from the atmosphere of the Troubles, Combat 18 and the rest of them Herberts.

Bring it on. Ireland 0 - 3 England sounds about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

In much the same way United fans on here (and around the world) would refer to the United manager as Sir Alex Ferguson, though we would have no need or reason to as it is not a title of our land.

Ferguson always has and always will be Ferguson in my eyes. Same goes for Alan Sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

This game is 100% happeneing.

Will probably head alonng, think I can just about stomach the spectacle Irish fans in Man U shirts abusing England players with no sense of irony.

L'prof wrote: »
    Ferguson always has and always will be Ferguson in my eyes. Same goes for Alan Sugar.

And you support.....

or the majority of people reading this thread have an understanding of 'context' at the very least and will associate the term "The Queen" with the queen of England. It isn't a big leap in interpretation of what was written.

It would also be a case that given the saturation of English based media, where she would be referred to as "The Queen", it would be common place for Irish to refer to her as that. In much the same way United fans on here (and around the world) would refer to the United manager as Sir Alex Ferguson, though we would have no need or reason to as it is not a title of our land.

But the point is, calling her THE Queen or using the honorific 'Sir' is technically illegal in Ireland and offends a lot of people. So why not just temper your language to be correct?

But the point is, calling her THE Queen or using the honorific 'Sir' is technically illegal in Ireland and offends a lot of people. So why not just temper your language to be correct?

How is it illegal?

And you support.....

It's actually irrelevant. I like Alan Sugar and have massive respect for Ferguson, it's just that such titles grate me a little bit. WB Yeats actually turned down a knighthood, massive respect for that...although it was 1915!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'm waiting for the first poster who is on any of the other Premier league posts on this soccer forum, to oppose this match, with their anti-brit opinions.... while they cheer Rooney etc on a weekly basis:rolleyes:.

I've a question though - I've an 8yr old and would love to bring him to this match...would yis bring an 8yr old along ?????

Have been to the Aviva a few times now...great venue...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

WTF are you on about?

Queen Elizabeth is The Queen of England.

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the first poster who is on any of the other Premier league posts on this soccer forum, to oppose this match, with their anti-brit opinions.... while they cheer Rooney etc on a weekly basis:rolleyes:.

I've a question though - I've an 8yr old and would love to bring him to this match...would yis bring an 8yr old along ?????

Have been to the Aviva a few times now...great venue...

I'd love to see the match go ahead, my only fear would be that they could beat us convincingly or that the match would have to be abandoned!

I'd love to see the match go ahead, my only fear would be that they could beat us convincingly or that the match would have to be abandoned!

Me too...but my fear would be sitting beside a bunch of anti-brits shouting abuse, with my 8yr old to be honest:(

It's actually irrelevant. I like Alan Sugar and have massive respect for Ferguson, it's just that such titles grate me a little bit. WB Yeats actually turned down a knighthood, massive respect for that...although it was 1915!!!

It is relevant in the terms I stated.

I said United fans on here (and around the world).

The saturation of english based United information we consume, where he is called Sir Alex Ferguson, and the number of sites we would use where he would be referred to as the same or as SAF means it is almost now a force of habbit to refer to him as SAF in shorthand.

I don't think I have referred to him as 'Sir Alex Ferguson' in speech - I would call him simply 'Ferguson' or 'Fergie' when speaking about him - evening in writing I would generally refer to him as such, but in shorthand i would use SAF quite a lot, which obviously means Sir Alex Ferguson, and I am aware a lot of other United fans would do the same.

I would not expect the same from fans of other clubs because the circles they converse in would generally not refer to 'SAF' by title or shorthand.

Speech and language use is very much driven by the group you converse in - so United fans referring to Fergie as 'SAF' would be very common and should be understandable imo.

Me too...but my fear would be sitting beside a bunch of anti-brits shouting abuse, with my 8yr old to be honest:(

Yeah, I'm afraid it mightn't be wise to bring him.

It is relevant in the terms I stated.

I said United fans on here (and around the world).

The saturation of english based United information we consume, where he is called Sir Alex Ferguson, and the number of sites we would use where he would be referred to as the same or as SAF means it is almost now a force of habbit to refer to him as SAF in shorthand.

I don't think I have referred to him as 'Sir Alex Ferguson' in speech - I would call him simply 'Ferguson' or 'Fergie' when speaking about him - evening in writing I would generally refer to him as such, but in shorthand i would use SAF quite a lot, which obviously means Sir Alex Ferguson, and I am aware a lot of other United fans would do the same.

I would not expect the same from fans of other clubs because the circles they converse in would generally not refer to 'SAF' by title or shorthand.

Speech and language use is very much driven by the group you converse in - so United fans referring to Fergie as 'SAF' would be very common and should be understandable imo.

Fair enough, it's just that I'd make a concious effort to avoid calling him 'SAF' too. One time only right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Love to see it happen. Full house and ya wouldn't have to worry about English fans, just throw them in the Havlock Square end. We'd probably get hammered but wouldn't it be lovely to see Joe Hart drop 3 crosses into the net?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think thats what people are getting at, people callin her The Queen and presuming its The Queen of England. Technically she is just A Queen.

Anyway who really cares, back to the game, i hope it goes ahead, would be a good game and would be good to see how we can do against the might of England :pac:

Yeah, I'm afraid it mightn't be wise to bring him.
    The inevitably extortionate price of the tickets (bought in a pair with a game against Zambia or someone) might mean a lot of the more.... hardcore...'fans' are outside the stadium in pubs rather than sitting inside the stadium for the game.

The inevitably extortionate price of the tickets (bought in a pair with a game against Zambia or someone) might mean a lot of the more.... hardcore...'fans' are outside the stadium in pubs rather than sitting inside the stadium for the game.

I dunno...I paid 45 for the Man U tickets for me and the 8yr old (each) ...keeping in mind that I won't get him to Old Trafford anytime soon, I thought it was good value for money....I'd assume these tickets will be priced similarly....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Didn't the IRFU change there ticketing so that now they won't do the bundle packs for games anymore, hopefully the FAI follow suit. The ticket prices will still probably be stupid though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Ireland v Zambia.................... I'm There!!

• Advertisement

How is it illegal?

It is an offence to call anyone by a political honour they earned overseas.

Likewise its illegal for an Irishman who serves in a foreign army to use their rank or wear the uniform / medals they won when at home

Irish people need written permission from the cabinet to accept any gongs - British Imperial ones, French Legion d'Honneur, US Congressional medal et.

I dunno...I paid 45 for the Man U tickets for me and the 8yr old (each) ...keeping in mind that I won't get him to Old Trafford anytime soon, I thought it was good value for money....I'd assume these tickets will be priced similarly....

I dunno what price it is for kids, but when we went to the Russia qualifier, we had to buy tickets for the Norway friendly too, so it cost us €90 each. We got rid of the Norway tickets in the end, so it wasn't too bad!

WTF are you on about?

Exactly. In the same way its The Queen of Spain, or The Queen of the Netherlands.

You reffered to her as "The Queen" which implies she is Irish. Its lazy and will get peoples backs up.

Exactly. In the same way its The Queen of Spain, or The Queen of the Netherlands.

You reffered to her as "The Queen" which implies she is Irish. Its lazy and will get peoples backs up.

Could yis put this argument somewhere else please lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Lads, This thread is about football. Lets get back to it.

I for one would love to see the game happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Fans shouting abuse at a football match??? Dear oh dear, whatever has happened to football.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Love to see it happen. Full house and ya wouldn't have to worry about English fans, just throw them in the Havlock Square end. We'd probably get hammered but wouldn't it be lovely to see Joe Hart drop 3 crosses into the net?;)
    Why would we get hammered? England are woeful at present. Actually they have been woeful for a long time now.

Tbh it's the England fans i'd be worried about rather than our own support which is by and large wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ziggy wrote: »

Nothing concrete in that article. No direct quotes etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement