Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland - England "Friendly" next June?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

True, true, but i took the Star article with a pinch of salt anyway but here's hoping.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Fans shouting abuse at a football match??? Dear oh dear, whatever has happened to football.

I was in the West Stand for Ireland v Italy in a friendly back around 2005 ish.

You could clearly see the Italian fans in the north terrace to our left.

Some fans has some local Italian flags that were exactly like the English St. George's Cross.

Some idiots behind me spent the whole match shouting abuse at the north terrace , calling them 'English c**ts'

That's the kind of abuse the poster is worried about and to be honest I don't blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Some fans has some local Italian flags that were exactly like the English St. George's Cross.

Some idiots behind me spent the whole match shouting abuse at the north terrace , calling them 'English c**ts'

That's the kind of abuse the poster is worried about and to be honest I don't blame them.

Milan and Genoa flags.

L'prof wrote: »
    Milan and Genoa flags.

yep, that's what they were

FFS what kind of morons were they, thinking they were English.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I'd really love to see them paired in a qualifier sometime soon and to a stop to these endless rumors of possiblt friendlies, this has been the second in the last six months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I love reading about all the "The" and "A" Queen nonsense!

get over it. Someone said "The Queen" and you knew exactly who they were talking about.

If they'd said "A Queen" you'd have asked which one.

simples!

Just like if someone said to me "I support United" i know they mean Manchester Unitedm i wouldnt go saying "Oh, but you could mean Peterborough United....... this way i'd be one of those dicks who nobody wants to be friends with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Will probably head alonng, think I can just about stomach the spectacle Irish fans in Man U shirts abusing England players with no sense of irony.

The following morning in the Star; "Yob in Man Utd tracksuit burns a St.George flag" imagine the confusion in England.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Fans shouting abuse at a football match??? Dear oh dear, whatever has happened to football.

We've went to the recent LOI match at the aviva and he was well able for the abuse between the fans...

It's the 'brits-out' abuse I'd rather he didn't hear....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Fittle wrote: »
    Me too...but my fear would be sitting beside a bunch of anti-brits shouting abuse, with my 8yr old to be honest:(
    You'll get that kind of abuse at any football match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

We've went to the recent LOI match at the aviva and he was well able for the abuse between the fans...

It's the 'brits-out' abuse I'd rather he didn't hear....
    Its ok he'll be to busy dodging chairs..

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll get that kind of abuse at any football match.

It wasn't at the Man u vs Airtricity X1 Match:D

Look, I get that there's abuse at football matches...I've brought him to a few...but the potential for an 8yr old hearing stuff he shouldn't really hear is quite high at an Irl vs Eng match in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd get him interested in rugby, the game happens at home every other year and all is cool. ;)

• Advertisement

Not much rugby going on where we're from I'm afraid;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

croke.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

So to summarize. The FAI rang up the FA and asked them for the umpteen-ed time for a friendly, the FA again said no thanks. The Star (who know the FAI are always begging them for a friendly) decided to go with the headline "Yobs to return to Aviva for June Friendly"

I told yiz. Slow news day :D

What a waste of a thread:(

just confirmed on RTE news that this match will NOT go ahead.

Ah well, Pauleta was right...slow news day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    croke.jpg

Was just thinking of that photo!:D

Best photo ever!

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    Was just thinking of that photo!:D

Best photo ever!

Indeed but it it's not really funny anymore when it's posted for the 148th time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Indeed but it it's not really funny anymore when it's posted for the 148th time
    Yeah it is

CiaranC wrote: »
    Yeah it is

Sums you up so if you still find it so funny that someone always posts this picture in some context everytime there is mention of a game v England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sums you up so if you still find it so funny that someone always posts this picture in some context everytime there is mention of a game v England.

Is the picture of you? :)

SantryRed wrote: »

Might be....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

SantryRed wrote: »

I think its been fairly established that the picture was a tabloid setup.

Oh? Where?

Its not as if you have to go a million miles to find militantly pro-GAA Celtic fans. Theres one there look ^^^ :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

And evidence of that is......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Its a conspiracy :pac:

Well I'm a newbie on soccer, so I smiled at it:D
    What's the background to that pic...anyone:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

This wont happen.

Bright spark protesting against the visit of the England rugby team to Croke Park for a match against Ireland in his Celtic shirt and tracksuit (foreign sport) holding a sign saying "no to foreign sports".

Gotta love Celtic fans.

Oh? Where?

Its not as if you have to go a million miles to find militantly pro-GAA Celtic fans. Theres one there look ^^^ :)

You referring to me?? How on earth can one be militantly pro gaa?

Bright spark protesting against the visit of the England rugby team to Croke Park for a match against Ireland in his Celtic shirt and tracksuit (foreign sport) holding a sign saying "no to foreign sports".

Gotta love Celtic fans.

He's a fcuking embarrassment to most Celtic fans tbh

He's a fcuking embarrassment to most Celtic fans tbh

I can imagine. It must be frustrating for right minded Celtic fans to see Irish clowns that think the greatest act of patriotism is to wear a Celtic shirt and spew bile or tear up O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Its really sad that this fixture seems like an impossibility in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gotta love Celtic fans.

What a fcuking accurate generalisation.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cmon that pic is iconic at this stage. Sums up the seansouth(des:pac:) type of fan/political view(basically an idiot) that exists in this country.

Everyone can laugh at the sheer irony of it.

IIRC, Ireland vs England (43-13:D) in the 6 Nations rugby, and idiots as seen before were protesting at God Save the Queen being played and the England flag on display in Croke Park.

Know off topic,but one of the best days and experiences of my life. I really do hope if the game happens in the Aviva people give the same respect to the english anthem as we would any other country.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    What a fcuking accurate generalisation.:rolleyes:

Sorry, you're right. A large section of Celtic's Irish support. Gotta love em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

meh so it aint gonna happen, im kinda glad and sad at the same time. glad that we wont get a hammering on the pitch and sad that irish casuals cant finally have a ruck with proper yobs:pac:!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A large section of Celtic's Irish support. Gotta love em!

Yeah, ya do.:P

From RTE:
    The Football Association of Ireland has confirmed they are in discussions with their English counterparts over the possibility of a friendly match between the two nations.

Reports emerged this morning that the two bodies were trying to finalise a friendly to replace's England game with Thailand on 8 June, which is likely to be scrapped.

The Press Association later claimed that these reports were inaccurate and the FAI clarified the matter tonight by stating there are negotiations ongoing, but for a different date.

The FAI expect an announcement will be made within the next month on the matter.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1210/ireland_england.html

Sorry, you're right. A large section of Celtic's Irish support. Gotta love em!

I thought they were all Irish? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I think this might be a good thing. In all sports, Ireland play better than usual against England. It could be just what the lads need to get belief in the team and feckin qualify for a tournament for once.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cmon that pic is iconic at this stage. Sums up the seansouth(des:pac:) type of fan/political view(basically an idiot) that exists in this country.

Everyone can laugh at the sheer irony of it.

Why are you bringing Sean South's name into this?? As for the photo i have no problem with it per se, yer man is a d1ckhead i'd imagine, it's just the lack of originality shown by posters who stick it up at every opportunity.

I thought they were all Irish? :P

They are, we have a few Scottish hangers on though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

cant see any good in this.
    1. having the thugs around.
    2. well probably lose.

Why are you bringing Sean South's name into this?? As for the photo i have no problem with it per se, yer man is a d1ckhead i'd imagine, it's just the lack of originality shown by posters who stick it up at every opportunity.

To be fair, i wasn't aiming for originality, i just wanted to bring it up for those who may not have seen it. It's such a good picture that it should be stuck up at every opportunity, lest we forget the special breed of football fan that walks amongst us in this country.

Here's another good one.

4052200018a4340740046b54205410l.jpg

To be fair, i wasn't aiming for originality, i just wanted to bring it up for those who may not have seen it. It's such a good picture that it should be stuck up at every opportunity, lest we forget the special breed of football fan that walks amongst us in this country.

Here's another good one.

4052200018a4340740046b54205410l.jpg

ffs everyone has seen it at this stage.

What have the riots got to do wih this thread?? So, some of the rioters are wearing celtic jerseys, ya, some republicans and some scumbags attach themselves to our suppport. Stop tarring everyone with the smae brush. I'm not going to slagging of the broad mass of Liverpool fans heysel for example. Every club has a scumbag element that attaches themselves. Grow up and try and stay on topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement