Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW X5 2004 3.0D

• 10-12-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

What's the opinion on BMW X5 passenger?
    Looking at 2004 3L diesel. 75k miles.
    What to look out for? What problems are lightly to raise their heads.
    How much is it worth approx.
    Tires are worn but worn evenly.

Are there better options for €14-18K?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Had a loan of one for a couple of weeks, biggest problem was pulling out of side roads, no one would let me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

STForSale wrote: »
    Had a loan of one for a couple of weeks, biggest problem was pulling out of side roads, no one would let me out!

Do you always repeat what's on Top Gear. :rolleyes:

An 2004 X5 is a good machine, however not really a off road car. The 4WD system is electronic with no low range gearbox or lockable diffs. Its pretty thirsty, but on the plus side I think they look great, handle like a car rather than some rolly poley on roundabouts.

Look out for - tyres very expensive buy one with a good set already. Fuel Pump issues or noises from the rear of the car. Also the old model interior is a bit primitive. All in all a good car if thats what you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Is the one you're looking at a post facelift model - they have 20-30bhp more and are a little bit more fuel efficient. Keep in mind the c.€1600 annual road tax too. Other running costs not too bad.
    If you've got kids & carry a lot of stuff, the boot is surprisingly small for such a big car.
    Watch out for the boot opening button on ht tailgate not working properly - happens on a lot of them. Other than that they're probably one of the best "real world" cars on the road - I've had 3 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Do you always repeat what's on Top Gear. :rolleyes:

:confused:
    Just sharing my limited experience of driving one.
    Also found it very thirsty for a dasel, but it was a loaner so I caine'd it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Like any used BMW diesel, it must have a full, verifiable, service history, including proof of replacement of crankcase breather filter at the stipulated intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

so many other better/more efficient/cheaper to run/user friendly/less cocky diesel options for that money mate but of course if you need BMW then its one of the best I think

wish you luck whatever you choose but will not let you infront from the sideroads :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

spyderski wrote: »
    Is the one you're looking at a post facelift model - they have 20-30bhp more and are a little bit more fuel efficient. Keep in mind the c.€1600 annual road tax too.

motor tax is only 1293 give or take as its a 2.9 litre engine

agree about the facelift version as its more powerful and more efficient as the older one had the older 184bhp engine, just not enough for a 2 ton jeep!

i had the 4.4 V8 but thats a different story alltogether :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Look out for - tyres very expensive buy one with a good set already.

Tyres are consumables, especially on a two tonne tractor. If you can't buy a set of tyres without wincing, don't buy an X5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

And, OP, this is the sort of BS begrudgery you may encounter if you get one.

freestyla wrote: »
    so many other better/more efficient/cheaper to run/user friendly/less cocky diesel options for that money mate but of course if you need BMW then its one of the best I think

wish you luck whatever you choose but will not let you infront from the sideroads :D

Pathetic effort, freestyla, and it says more about you than any BMW driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Tyres are consumables, especially on a two tonne tractor. If you can't buy a set of tyres without wincing, don't buy an X5.

Doesnt mean you should buy one with bald tyres and have to drop 1k straight away. On a car worth 12-16k it really is a concern. Fuel is consumable however the MPG should also be a concern. Servicing is expensive so a good history and a recent service should be a concern. If it cost 100k new does not mean that somebody buying it 8 years later should get one needing a bunch of stuff cause that's par for the course on this type of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Range Rover,
    Its nicer and cheaper at that age... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Gophur wrote: »
    And, OP, this is the sort of BS begrudgery you may encounter if you get one.

Pathetic effort, freestyla, and it says more about you than any BMW driver.

Look I was driving across almost whole Europe in past 12yrs, before moving to Ireland, and BMW drivers here are a bit better than in e.g Scandinavia or Balkan area I must say. I m saying what I see with my eyes. Also "few" other surveys and forums say the same things such as BMW changes your personality etc.. I personaly think its true just for those under age 25 or so and in Ireland you have such high insurance and taxes on sporty cars so not many youngsters are driving BMWs ;)

Anyway I wished this guy luck in buying one because its really good car (facelift model) and my point was just to make him read this kind of folk-tale so he could be just normal driver but not the God behind that wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Gophur wrote: »
    Like any used BMW diesel, it must have a full, verifiable, service history, including proof of replacement of crankcase breather filter at the stipulated intervals.
    What's the problem with the breather valve? Is it a known issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Theanswers wrote: »
    Range Rover,
    Its nicer and cheaper at that age... :D

Yes, cheaper, but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - same engine as pre facelift X5, slightly less power - massive amount more weight. Also break down with remarkable frequency. If you cant afford a TDV8 Range Rover, don't bother - the X5 is a far better car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

freestyla wrote: »
    not many youngsters are driving BMWs ;)

I bought a 4 year old BMW when I was 21 and didn't change anything about me or my personality... stop waffling lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

spyderski wrote: »
    Yes, cheaper, but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - same engine as pre facelift X5, slightly less power - massive amount more weight. Also break down with remarkable frequency. If you cant afford a TDV8 Range Rover, don't bother - the X5 is a far better car.

I drive a 3.0 td6 quite often.
    To be honest I've never found it to be slow, quite quick at overtaking and pulling It seems to have no trouble no matter had big the load.

About the breaking down bit, yes I'd agree. Get a warrenty off warrenty direct.

Advertisement