Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iranian Woman Due For Death Stoning, Possibly Free!

• 10-12-2010 1:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Just announced on the Times website a few minutes ago.
    The lady that was under sentence of death by stoning, appears to have been freed.
    Under what circumstances remains unclear but it looks hopeful!

The Times report:
    Hopes that Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani will be released soared last night, when Iranian state television published pictures of her visiting her home for the first time since her imprisonment five years ago.

Supporters of the Iranian woman, sentenced to death by stoning for alleged adultery, initially claimed that she had been freed, but later reports from Iran suggested that she may have been granted only home leave.
    The footage also showed Ms Ashtiani’s son, Sajad, at her home in the city of Osku. He was arrested in September, along with one of Ms Ashtiani’s lawyers, while giving an interview to two German journalists.

There was no immediate statement from the Iranian Government but, at the very least, Ms Ashtiani’s release on home leave would suggest it is beginning to buckle under international pressure.
    “We have got news from Iran that they are free,” said Mina Ahadi, co-ordinator of the International Committee against Stoning, one of the first human rights groups to take up Ms Ashtiani’s case. There was no word on whether the German journalists had also been released.

A German Foreign Ministry official said he was unable to confirm the release, but Franco Frattini, Italy’s Foreign Minister, hailed what he called a “great day for human rights”. He said: “Iran has made the gesture of understand and clemency that we were hoping for and it did so using its prerogative as a sovereign state . . . it’s a decision that merits strong praise and satisfaction.”

Mohammad Mostafaei, Ms Ashtiani’s lawyer in Tehran until he was forced to flee Iran in August, said he sincerely hoped the news was true and that all those released were safe and well.

Ms Ashtiani, who is said to be illiterate, was convicted of adultery and sentenced to death in 2006. She was later convicted of a role in the murder of her husband, though her alleged male partner was pardoned by her children under Islamic law and freed. That sentence was subsequently changed to complicity in murder, and her sentence reduced from ten to five years, but the regime revived the murder charge as the international outcry over her treatment grew.

In August, Ms Ashtiani appeared on state-controlled television to deliver what her supporters insisted was a forced confession.
    The Iranian Government not only silenced her son and locked up or exiled her lawyers, but also vigorously denounced the West for interfering in its internal affairs and accused it of whipping up an international outcry to undermine the Islamic Republic.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article2839551.ece

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/83/wwwthetimescoukttonewsw.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well stone the flamin' crows!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Stone her IMO, we need order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

CorkMan wrote: »
    Stone her IMO, we need order.
    Stuff that - we need cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Thats what we need over here, An Islamic party in power. Lets see what happens when you try fiddle your expences then Ivor....

And as for the AIB bonus payments...Stone the fcukers instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Thats what we need over here, An Islamic party in power. Lets see what happens when you try fiddle your expences then Ivor....

And as for the AIB bonus payments...Stone the fcukers instead

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I thought this was an offer to get stoned for free.. Terribly disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

Pretty bad that I was surprised that she was released and that I wouldn't be surprised if she was stoned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Namlub wrote: »
    :confused:

You do read the news ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Seen a few pics, she can take me up the Ayatollah any day...

msg11 wrote: »
    You do read the news ?

That was an opinion...

• Advertisement

When Kenny gets into government, we can all stone and rape whoever we want... cant wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I wonder would they be interested in stoning a few bankers instead, I'm sure they must be disappionted.

I hear he likes nothing more than a good stoning and raping party

Namlub wrote: »
    I hear he likes nothing more than a good stoning and raping party

sure he does lead Fianna Gael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What? No "Well we're in no position to criticise", "Stop trying to force westernisation on them" bollocks yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Biggins wrote: »
    Just announced on the Times website a few minutes ago.
    The lady that was under sentence of death by stoning, appears to have been freed.
    Under what circumstances remains unclear but it looks hopeful!

The Times report:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article2839551.ece

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/83/wwwthetimescoukttonewsw.jpg

I suppose its no worse than Israelis shooting children who throw some stones?

Dudess wrote: »
    What? No "Well we're in no position to criticise", "Stop trying to force westernisation on them" bollocks yet?
    wtf is westernisation ?

Western values - I'm getting sleepy here... :o

Dudess wrote: »
    Western values - I'm getting sleepy here... :o
    you mean habits?

If the "non stoning to death policy" is a habit, sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement