Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Announces Scotland show May 2011

• 10-12-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

he UFC is coming to Scotland.

The word from UFC president Dana White is the promotion will be coming there in May 2011 for an event that will likely be a UFC Fight Night show.

Scottish fans have sought after White at virtually every fan event for the UFC to bring a show to their part of the world, and it looks like it finally worked.

It’s likely that Glasgow or Edinburgh, Scotland’s two largest cities, would be the most viable candidates for UFC show when the promotion hits their shores.

It’s unclear which arenas would vie for the UFC’s inaugural show in Scotland, but the fans in the area can finally rejoice that the world’s biggest MMA promotion is on its way there.

Scheduling for 2011 has now stretched out to shows as far as May with the Scotland announcement, with several international shows already planned for areas like Australia and Abu Dhabi, and in North America with Toronto. Expect more international plans to hit the landscape with the UFC planning return trips to England and Ireland in 2011 as well.

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-announces-scotland-to-receive-ufc-fight-night-show-in-may-2011

Paddys day in Dublin once again not happening:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

If this show happens there should be one name at the top of the call-up list!! That name?.......... Paul McVeigh. Apart from his talent he is based in Jocksville and should be a ticket seller

If they are looking for a 155 local fighter Bushmills is quite close as the crow flys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Paddys day in Dublin once again not happening:rolleyes:
    It was never happening, it was never a plan or suggestion. It prob started on wiki.
    Ireland better not get a fight night
    fightie wrote: »
    If this show happens there should be one name at the top of the call-up list!! That name?.......... Paul McVeigh. Apart from his talent he is based in Jocksville and should be a ticket seller

If they are looking for a 155 local fighter Bushmills is quite close as the crow flys :)
    While, i'm not saying Paul shouldn't get a spot. But I don't think he be classed as a ticket seller, anyone who knows who he is would want to go anyway.

That said, local guys making appearances is good for the spoty in a number of ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mellor wrote: »
    It was never happening, it was never a plan or suggestion. It prob started on wiki.

While, i'm not saying Paul shouldn't get a spot. But I don't think he be classed as a ticket seller, anyone who knows who he is would want to go anyway.

That said, local guys making appearances is good for the spoty in a number of ways

Remember this is only a Fight Night so will probably be headlined by Ross Pearson, with a pretty dire under card full of UK TUF fighters.

And as for a Fight Night being in Ireland, I THINK that the Octagon used in Fight Nights is smaller in size to those used in full events, now they've got a smaller Octagon over here, expect more fight nights, even just to keep us happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Really source ?????

dave1982 wrote: »
    Really source ?????
    lol, you want a source for something that was never happening?
    How about finding any legitimate source that suggests it was ever on the cards.

It gets suggested every year around the same time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scuff

Why would the Ufc need care if Paul McVeigh is a ticket seller, the UFC name alone will sell a 4000 seater arena out if they put me and you as headliners. Paul McVeigh totally deserves his shot and there is no1 left in europe at bw left for him. Brad Pickett vs Paul McVeigh main event please :-)

I didn't call him a ticket seller???
    I made the same point as you really

I didn't call him a ticket seller???
    I made the same point as you really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

scudzilla wrote: »
    Remember this is only a Fight Night so will probably be headlined by Ross Pearson, with a pretty dire under card full of UK TUF fighters.

And as for a Fight Night being in Ireland, I THINK that the Octagon used in Fight Nights is smaller in size to those used in full events, now they've got a smaller Octagon over here, expect more fight nights, even just to keep us happy
    I dont think its smaller. Pretty sure their cage always has an internal diameter of 30ft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I dont think its smaller. Pretty sure their cage always has an internal diameter of 30ft

Its smaller at the TUF Finale's due to the size of the venue, according to Rogan.

• Advertisement

I think you're mixing up the WEC cage and the UFC cage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

They do seem to use a smaller cage for the TUF finales.

He said it during the broadcast, and its visibly smaller when they are at the Palms.

That's a bit strange tbh

It's just so they can go to get the most capacity out of smaller venues. They do it for the Fight Nights as well, I think. From what I gather, the smaller ring is the same size as the WEC ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

fightie wrote: »

Do you ever plan on holding an event in Scotland? If so it might be a good idea not to refer to it as Jocksville.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭enemy

rogan said it during the TUF 12 finals, its a 27 foot cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Killme00 wrote: »
    Do you ever plan on holding an event in Scotland? If so it might be a good idea not to refer to it as Jocksville.
    Will bear that in mind....... Thanks

Advertisement