Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are we going too far with 'hygiene'?

• 10-12-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I saw a advert for a new handless soap pump that has a motion detector so you don't need to touch it at all.

The ad went on to say how many germs are on the soap pump but where's the fecking logic when you're just about to wash your hands..

There seems to be this notion of sterilising everything possible and that any exposure to bacteria is going to kill us when it is actually helping build up our immune system.

It's a good marketing strategy but do you think many people fall for this? In general do you think we're too over protective?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm not afraid of germs, but this is a good invention, as it's very hard to pump the soap out of a dispenser with your foot, while you have your hands under the taps and are trying to turn the taps on with your elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

The Shtig wrote: »
    There seems to be this notion of sterilising everything possible and that any exposure to bacteria is going to kill us when it is actually helping build up our immune system.

Yeah, I agree..

If we're less exposed to something, then we are exposed to it, it's going to do more damage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The ad went on to say how many germs are on the soap pump but where's the fecking logic when you're just about to wash your hands..?

Ah, but what if they're all empty? Eh? Eh? Will water alone clear those nasty transmitted germs?

/awaits round of applause from soap dispenser marketing team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Well, the Human race has survived without this kinda thing for a very long time.

My 1 year old sometimes eats chicken nuggets off the kitchen floor!

Oh, the humanity!:eek:

I'm not afraid of germs, but some people actually don't wipe their arses, but wash their arses with soap & smear shit all over the dispenser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I'm not afraid of germs, but this is a good invention, as it's very hard to pump the soap out of a dispenser with your foot, while you have your hands under the taps and are trying to turn the taps on with your elbows.

Food companies have sinks operated by your knees pressing a pressure pad or leaver under the sink.

Yes we are going too far, throw the kids out into the back garden to build up resistance to bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Then you walk out the door with your clean hands, using them to turn the p1ss covered door knob as you exit::D

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yes we are going too far, throw the kids out into the back garden to build up resistance to bugs.

I go one step further.

I like to throw my kids out into the back garden from the first floor windows.

That'll man the little pussies up.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I soil myself, then roll around the floor in my own urine licking it. Then I get bucket and each day give myself a golden shower.

It's good for the skin. I don't smear myself with **** but I can see the benefits, and especially covering my face with runny, dirty, mushy brown stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

What kinda kinky stuff do you get up to while washing your hands.

• Advertisement

I'm not afraid of germs, but some people actually don't wipe their arses, but wash their arses with soap & smear shit all over the dispenser.

I remember reading a report that 70% of guys that use toilets in pubs don't bother washing their hands on the way out, thats why I try to make sure I don't touch the door handle of the gents on the way out if I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw this advert.

It is laughable that you shouldn't even touch the soap bottle for fear of being contaminated with germs, but this strategy isn't anything new for personal hygiene marketing. Toothpaste companies have been doing it for years by making suggestions about having smelly breath, therefore being a total social outcast if you don't use their particular product.

It's very easy to scare people and cash in when it comes to germs. Seeing how far it can go before money outweighs stupidity is very fun though.

One particularly vulgar one from recently had a child reading the line "I want to do a poo at Paul's". Alienating insecure parents into spending money for fear of the child thinking the parents have a lesser standard of hygiene than their friends. And having a child talk about poo...

Fair play for the advertisers for cashing in on the stupidity of such a large section of society. Best of luck with the motion sensor sterilizer

DB10 wrote: »
    I soil myself, then roll around the floor in my own urine licking it. Then I get bucket and each day give myself a golden shower.

It's good for the skin. I don't smear myself with **** but I can see the benefits, and especially covering my face with runny, dirty, mushy brown stuff.

Makes it easier for the nurses to throw on the straight jacket aswell? :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I just piss on my hands when I'm going to the toilet. Two birds, one stone.

I remember reading a report that 70% of guys that use toilets in pubs don't bother washing their hands on the way out, thats why I try to make sure I don't touch the door handle of the gents on the way out if I can.

I'm not afraid of germs, but if I'm leaving the gents & the door is shut, I usually try to limbo dance under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I'm all for washing your hands, but this business of trying to make people afraid of bacteria really annoys me. My DH cringes when the adds come on the telly for soaps advertising kills 99.9% of bacteria. Cue me screaming at the telly "Which bacteria do you think are the ones that survive to breed unhindered!!!". That's it, the most dangerous ones. Have we learned nothing from having created superbugs through overuse of antibiotics?!?

If you don't like pressing the soap pump for fear of picking up germs, then use a simple bar of soap? Now I could see how this might be useful in hospitals, but there you are dealing with people who's immune systems are already likely to be compromised, so extra care needs to be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There seems to be this notion of sterilising everything possible and that any exposure to bacteria is going to kill us
    I don't think there is at all, just occasional isolated stuff like this. I'd imagine people's hygiene has gotten more stringent all right in the last 50 years, but not to OCD levels, and generally for the better. Actually, MRSA is a very current thing, whereas hospitals were (apparently) off the chart sterile back in the day.

you know that guy that absolutely disgraces public toilet cubicles, with sh-it smeared all over the walls, what looks like diaorreha splattered all over the toilet and floor, and that wipes his hand all over the door, the proceeds to piss all over and walks **** on his shoes, whiles also licking his shoes and when hes finished scratches his arse, and flicks any snot or excess brownage onto the walls...

im that guy

you know that guy that absolutely disgraces public toilet cubicles, with sh-it smeared all over the walls, what looks like diaorreha splattered all over the toilet and floor, and that wipes his hand all over the door, the proceeds to piss all over and walks **** on his shoes, whiles also licking his shoes and when hes finished scratches his arse, and flicks any snot or excess brownage onto the walls...

im that guy

That's why you'll always find me in the kitchen at parties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah, I agree..

If we're less exposed to something, then we are exposed to it, it's going to do more damage..
    and yet asthma is on the increase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

roll around the floor in my own urine licking it. Then I get bucket and each day give myself a golden shower.

It's good for the skin.
    if you are healthy your urine should be sterile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

im that guy

Are you FlutterinBantam's portrait in the attic?

one tip is to wait for some to open the door and follow them so yo don't have to touch it

if you are drying your hands and the door opens, go though wet hands are better than other peoples germs

one tip is to wait for some to open the door and follow them so yo don't have to touch it

if you are drying your hands and the door opens, go though wet hands are better than other peoples germs

I usually use the old door salesman trick of putting my foot in the door if the above fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I saw a advert for a new handless soap pump that has a motion detector so you don't need to touch it at all.

The ad went on to say how many germs are on the soap pump but where's the fecking logic when you're just about to wash your hands..

It's a good marketing strategy but do you think many people fall for this? In general do you think we're too over protective?

Maybe it's because they dont want people touching the soap dispenser who have been touching their genitalia before, during and after taking a slash or a dump

I'm all for washing your hands, but this business of trying to make people afraid of bacteria really annoys me. My DH cringes when the adds come on the telly for soaps advertising kills 99.9% of bacteria. Cue me screaming at the telly "Which bacteria do you think are the ones that survive to breed unhindered!!!". That's it, the most dangerous ones.
    under ideal conditions the doubling time of e coli is 20 minutes. In which case three hours twenty minutes later you are back to square one, all you have done is replaced generic bacteria with resistant superbugs :mad:

In the real world it might take more than 20 minutes for them to replicate so you may have a few more hours before your cleaning of the worksurfaces produces that which you hoped to avoid.

Also antibiotic resistance can be passed on to different species of bacteria. They don't have to inherit it, it can be acquired from neighbours.

That's what I was getting at with this thread, just open the door instead of making a plan of how your getting out without touching it (unless you're bored and want a little game to play :P). It wont kill you.

i once took a dump in a pub toilet, but it was beside the sink on the ground in the middle of the floot.

splattered out of me...wiped my arse with my trousers and off i went. watching the women run out aftwards was worth every burning sensation...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

i once took a dump in a pub toilet, but it was beside the sink on the ground in the middle of the floot.

splattered out of me...wiped my arse with my trousers and off i went. watching the women run out aftwards was worth every burning sensation...:D

because you want to save the trees that would die in the making of toilet paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I'm all for washing your hands, but this business of trying to make people afraid of bacteria really annoys me. My DH cringes when the adds come on the telly for soaps advertising kills 99.9% of bacteria. Cue me screaming at the telly "Which bacteria do you think are the ones that survive to breed unhindered!!!". That's it, the most dangerous ones. Have we learned nothing from having created superbugs through overuse of antibiotics?!?

If you don't like pressing the soap pump for fear of picking up germs, then use a simple bar of soap? Now I could see how this might be useful in hospitals, but there you are dealing with people who's immune systems are already likely to be compromised, so extra care needs to be taken.

in a thread where people are talking about ****e and pissing on their hands and more shyte smeared on walls, all i'm wondering is wtf is a DH????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

orourkeda wrote: »
    Maybe it's because they dont want people touching the soap dispenser who have been touching their genitalia before, during and after taking a slash or a dump

So someone goes to the toilet, touches their genitalia, then touches the soap dispenser and then washes their hands and leaves.

Then the next person comes along. And what's the first thing they do after they touch the dirty soap dispenser? They wash their hands with soap.

It's really more of a gimmick than anything.

Jimmy Carr has his own solution: instead of washing his hands each time after using the toilet, he washes his c0ck in the morning and then he's good for the day.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yep. its absolutley ridiculous. We have an imune system for cods sake, but we wont much longer if we keep pumping triclosan over everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

So you arrive at the sink with your dirty, stinking, bacteria infested hands and turn the tap, you use the motion activated soap dispenser and wash your hands levaing them cleaner than clean and proceed to turn the tap again... but hang on a second... was the tap not the first thing you touched with your dirty, stinking, bacteria infested hands?? Oh sh1te!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would you unless you got piss all over them though?
    your zip and your knob aren't automatically dirty you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Can you shout "Restore Political Status" in a whiny northern accent please. I want to check something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

The "Hygeine Hypothesis" states that the rising number of allergies in the developing world is due to the increasingly sterile conditions in it. Not sure of the details,but it basically shows a graph correlating the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

science: the thinking mans god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

We need more germs, not less. I agree that motion sensor soap dispenser is silly. You are washing your hands anyway!
    Exposure to germs is good, Look at kids with pets. Less sick days then kids with no pets.

Advertisement