Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pug info

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

lrushe wrote: »
    What health testing were done on the parents of these dogs???
    I understand that when people see 'breeders' who are upset when handing over a pup as verification that they did all the right things and maybe in their minds the did but ignorance is no more an excuse to breed unhealthy dogs than money is.

Because you dont take a pup, just hand over the money and be done with it. we received all our certs, vets notes to say the pup was healthy and had all its injections, IKC certified, family tree history dating back from 50 years ago, proof its a full pedigree (along with its science plan food and everything else the man gave us to ensure the pup was stayin in the same routine). it wouldnt be ignorance to assume a breeder being upset must be giving you the best dog on the planet! its plain stupidity therefore we didnt just go see the man upset and said ILL BUY HIM. we did our research and ensured this was all set in stone before we made the trip to even go see the pup.

shell10 wrote: »
    oh i know that i'd be the same i'd prefer to get that pup out there rather someone else comin along!!

ya i def will kepp my eye on it!! i've never head anything bad about done deal before and no people who have there pups on it for sale and there perfect but everyone has an opion!!

thanks again for all ye're advice!!

thanks again

yeah i dont agree with any puppy farms or anything like that, i just feel sorry for pups who need loving homes too! :(

happy hunting for the right pug, youll know when you see it and have looked into it enough like you have been doing. post a pic when you get him/her. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

hazelhoff wrote: »
    Shell I'm not saying to actually go out and purposely buy from these people but just in the sense that your not going to know who you are meeting up with until you get there. And I personally just wouldnt be able to look at the pups and say no and leave them there because the people were dodgey. I would rather take one and know thats going to a good home then let another person come along who could be wanting to start a dodgey breading process too. the IKC website is brill to keep an eye on, this will ensure you that they are registered with them and you could trust this more if your unsure about done deal :)

Sorry, but thats the type of attitude and reasons these assholes are still in business.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

And I personally just wouldnt be able to look at the pups and say no and leave them there because the people were dodgey. I would rather take one and know thats going to a good home

I know your heart is in the right place and that's great, but it's attitudes like this which keep these horrible people in business.

Rest assured you are not "standing alone" as you seem to think, by not buying from these people. Thousands of people do the same, people who want what is best for dogs in this country, not just the one dog.

Everything begins at home, if everybody took the same "what can I do" attitude about anything, dogs, drugs, scams, prejudices etc the world would be a much worse place. You mention prefering to make people aware of it, that is what people are trying to do, but while others are suggesting you buy from these people to save one pup, well it's obvious the message is not getting across. :(

But if 100 people all have the same view as you that's 100 more pups being bought, that's approximately €30000 going in to the pockets of puppy farms. I for one couldn't have that on my conscience.

i totally agree with you but i cant stop those 100 people buying from them, its going to happen either way unfortunatley but i just feel sorry for the pups that are created (its not the pups faults that they were created in that situation and it doesnt mean that they shouldnt have a happy home too) and if I was in that situation I would buy it just to keep it safe not to add to the industry of puppy farms but to bring some happiness to its life! i dont support the puppy farms at all but thats just my opinion. i understand where your coming from tho

• Advertisement

i totally agree with you but i cant stop those 100 people buying from them,
    No but you might be able to discourage one, they may be able to discourage another etc. If enough people spread the word and discourages buying from dodgy breeders, dodgy breeders would be in trouble.

If you want to "save a dog" go to a rescue and save one of those. By buying from bad breeders and not discourging others from doing the same you are directly adding to the problem imo. (that is a collective you btw th way not you, you iykwim :))

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry, but thats the type of attitude and reasons these assholes are still in business.:mad:

hardly because im just saying if you are put in that situation not knowing (its different if you intentionally seek to go buy one from a puppy farm) are you gonna turn your back on pups that are being treated cruelly (that are in a barn when they are not outdoor dogs)? when my sister went and came out and said they were all in a barn and that your man didnt seem to care, but she said she had to take our female lily because she couldnt leave her there. it was the situation we were put in its not something we planned upon or agreed with but did the best we could there and then.

hardly because im just saying if you are put in that situation not knowing (its different if you intentionally seek to go buy one from a puppy farm) are you gonna turn your back on pups that are being treated cruelly (that are in a barn when they are not outdoor dogs)? when my sister went and came out and said they were all in a barn and that your man didnt seem to care, but she said she had to take our female lily because she couldnt leave her there. it was the situation we were put in its not something we planned upon or agreed with but did the best we could there and then.

Sorry, but thats exactly the reason you have to walk away and say no.

These people thrive on suckers that feel sorry for the pups and still hand over the money. Yes its not nice seeing a pup in those conditions but you have to walk away. By giving these people money only fuels their business and allows them to breed again and again, as i said, supply and demand.

it was the situation we were put in its not something we planned upon or agreed with but did the best we could there and then.
    I do know where you are coming from, it's unfortunate. Did you know some bad breeders will play up the "I don't really care" just to get a sale from people who don't want to leave the pup there?

Whispered wrote: »
    No but you might be able to discourage one, they may be able to discourage another etc. If enough people spread the word and discourages buying from dodgy breeders, dodgy breeders would be in trouble.

If you want to "save a dog" go to a rescue and save one of those. By buying from bad breeders and not discourging others from doing the same you are directly adding to the problem imo. (that is a collective you btw th way not you, you iykwim :))

i would never convinvce anyone to do that or would i do it myself but my sister did if you read my other replys in the heat of the moment because her heart was breaking for the pugs and she would have loved to give them all homes. the thing that matters to me is that the ones that are being bread for money alone dont get thrown in a canal that they do get homes. the only logical way i could see the farming stopping is for everyone who is against this to stand up and protest against it. i wouldnt encourage someone to go to these farms but i would rather do something proper about it then moan.

• Advertisement

i would never convinvce anyone to do that or would i do it myself but my sister did if you read my other replys in the heat of the moment because her heart was breaking for the pugs and she would have loved to give them all homes. the thing that matters to me is that the ones that are being bread for money alone dont get thrown in a canal that they do get homes. the only logical way i could see the farming stopping is for everyone who is against this to stand up and protest against it. i wouldnt encourage someone to go to these farms but i would rather do something proper about it then moan.
    I did read (and quote) your replies.

People are standing up against it, to stand up against it you need to make a difficult decision and walk away, by not doing so people are standing for it.

By buying a pup to "save" it from a bad breeder you are putting other pups into the same situation and making things worse. Certainly not "doing something" about it besides contributing to the problem tbh.

Doing something proper is not funding their business. The only way to stop these farmers is to stop buying puppies off them, end of!!
    If they have no one to support their business then they wont produce the puppies, its not rocket science.

Protesting isnt going to stop them, but not giving them the cash to keep lining their pockets will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Because you dont take a pup, just hand over the money and be done with it. we received all our certs, vets notes to say the pup was healthy and had all its injections, IKC certified, family tree history dating back from 50 years ago, proof its a full pedigree (along with its science plan food and everything else the man gave us to ensure the pup was stayin in the same routine). it wouldnt be ignorance to assume a breeder being upset must be giving you the best dog on the planet! its plain stupidity therefore we didnt just go see the man upset and said ILL BUY HIM. we did our research and ensured this was all set in stone before we made the trip to even go see the pup.

I'm not talking about the run of the mill exams, worming and vaccinations done by your local vet I am talking about genetic health testing of the parents to make sure they don't pass on genetic faults to their offspring ie. x-rays taken of the hips,elbows, spine and knees (in the case of pugs) and scored properly, hearts echo'd by a proper cardiologist and scored etc.
    i totally agree with you but i cant stop those 100 people buying from them, its going to happen either way unfortunatley but i just feel sorry for the pups that are created (its not the pups faults that they were created in that situation and it doesnt mean that they shouldnt have a happy home too) and if I was in that situation I would buy it just to keep it safe not to add to the industry of puppy farms but to bring some happiness to its life! i dont support the puppy farms at all but thats just my opinion. i understand where your coming from tho

But just think of the pups created to fill the space left by the pup you 'saved', is it fair to them??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

But just think of the pups created to fill the space left by the pup you 'saved', is it fair to them??

this isn't a fair comment because at least that pup is gettin a good home!!
    no matter what u'll never be abble to stop bad breeders! simple as!
    no matter what way u look at it if u don't buy the pup your after walkin away from a dog that could have had a proper home with a loving family rather then been thrown back int the barn and if you walk away from it you just witnessed a horrible thing and never helped!!

i get what ur sayin abouy the more that are sold the more they'll bread but realisticly it is never gonna be stopped no two ways about it!!

people have been breadin bad litters for hundreds of years and it'll never be stopped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

no matter what way u look at it if u don't buy the pup your after walkin away from a dog that could have had a proper home with a loving family rather then been thrown back int the barn and if you walk away from it you just witnessed a horrible thing and never helped!!

i get what ur sayin abouy the more that are sold the more they'll bread but realisticly it is never gonna be stopped no two ways about it!!

people have been breadin bad litters for hundreds of years and it'll never be stopped!!!

It's a totally fair comment, it's just that it hits a nerve with people who buy from BYB's and puppy farms, they'd rather celebrate the idea that they are 'saving' one dog than condemning many more.
    No one's saying walk away and do nothing, report a place that you see with inhumane conditions don't reward them with your money.
    Realistically it is never going to stop if people keep trying to ratioanalise lining the pockets of some of the biggest animal abusers in Ireland.
    If there has been a culture of people breeding dogs badly in Ireland don't you think its about time it stopped. Every long journey starts with one footstep.

Sorry, but this is exactly the type of attitude that will keep these people in business. :mad:
    If each one of us didnt buy a pup and spread the word then eventually there will be less and less of these puppy farmers in business. We have to hit them where it hurts and thats their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

i get exactly what ur sayin!!! everyone has differnt opinons!!!!!!!

of course i'd report a puppy farm ju think i'm cruel ????????? :mad:

We're all looking for the same thing - and we all have the best interests of the animal in mind. Unfortunately it very easy to form misguided opinions and play straight into the hands of bad breders due to a misplaced sense of "helping".

You did say yourself shell
    if you walk away from it you just witnessed a horrible thing and never helped
    so the suggestion of reporting it was made directly in response to that, you asked if people suggested you walk away, someone explained that's not what they meant and now you're angry and accusing people of calling you cruel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

i get exactly what ur sayin!!! everyone has differnt opinons!!!!!!!

of course i'd report a puppy farm ju think i'm cruel ????????? :mad:

Who would you report it to? There is no law against puppy farms, this is the point people are making, so no you don't get it. The only way to stop them is to spread the word and advise people how to find reputable breeders, which I have done in my last post and you completely ignored. Do you think I have nothing better to do with my time than go looking for sources for breeds of dogs I have no personal interest in, why do you think I did that?

<ETA>As it stands, the buying and selling of pets is 'buyer beware' this means it basicly comes down to buyer's to requlate things like this by basicly only buying from people who hold up your own principles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

There is some really good information here about going about the right way to finding a pug from a reliable and good breeder.

I'll definitely be passing this info onto my mate. She is intent on getting a pug herself. Doubt she will get it anytime soon until she has her own place but she has her mind set on one for years now.

Never knew about the breathing troubles or the whole nasal passages issue....pays in the long run to research and research!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

SNIP - NO studs

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Neuter him. There is absolutely no need to breed him unless you can offer the breed something from his genes. He will have to be health-tested, then shown and prove himself in the ring before any responsible breeder would even consider using him as a stud. Its much kinder to him to neuter him than to breed simply because he's a 'horndog'. The pug is already being bred into the ground in this country

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement