Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Schools suitable if parents weak at Irish?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice here. I used the search and didn't see a thread that answered my question. I am seriously considering the Irish School in Greystones for eductating our child but we (parents) are not strong at Irish. Would this be a bad idea? I am concerned we would have problems helping wiht homework etc.

Any advice would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Once you are prepared to learn with the child then it is a good diea:) the school will usually run classes for parents too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It won't matter :) It's your children that will be attending school, not yourself. I wouldn't worry so much. I do know that it's favourable for parents to engage with the Irish language, so that it's reflective on their children. You won't be expected to be fluent. A friend of mine has basic Irish, but uses Irish words at home - just basic stuff, to give it some form of relevance at home :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I teach in a Gaelscoil, very few of our parents would have much Irish.They make the effort to use what they have. It is no obstacle to the child if the parent had little or no Irish.Our junior infants are almost fluent already, fantastic to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭garden_snapper

Thanks guys. That helps alot. :)

Advertisement