Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excel Formula help

• 10-12-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have an Excel spreadsheet and want to look up the amount of numbers in a column if there is a certain value in a certain other column... (Sorry, hard to explain.

I want to do a COUNTA on values in column L and all following only if the cell in col B contains "Sample text".

Have tried as follows:

=IF($B:$B="Sample text",(COUNTA(QM$14:QM$213)-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"FOA")-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"FOP")-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"AL")-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"CL")-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"S")-COUNTIF(QM$14:QM$213,"T")),"")

but just returns 0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

All your CountAs and CountIfs are only looking at a relatively small range 14-213in a single column QM - not column L and above.

So to start with change QM$14:QM$213 to L$14:QM$213 to increase your range.

Do you deliberately want to subtract anything from that range that contains FOP, FOA, AL, CL, S, or T?

Looking at it again, and trying to figure out what you're trying to do, a pivot table with filters might be the answer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Use the countif function

=COUNTIF(range,"sample text")

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Thoie wrote: »
    All your CountAs and CountIfs are only looking at a relatively small range 14-213in a single column QM - not column L and above.

So to start with change QM$14:QM$213 to L$14:QM$213 to increase your range.

Do you deliberately want to subtract anything from that range that contains FOP, FOA, AL, CL, S, or T?

Need to do it for each column (each column is a different date) And yes, need to subtract those exact cell values.

Triangla wrote: »
    Use the countif function

=COUNTIF(range,"sample text")

Countif can tell me the amount of occurrences of "Sample text" in column B, but I want to know out of those occurrences, how many have values in column QM?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Can you do a vlookup between the columns to find common values and then a countif to count them?

Can you explain a little more what you're looking to do.

sorry, not explaining myself very well :/

Its for a roster, see below. The numbers in columns D-F represent the days that someone is working on a 3-day roster (v basic example)

I want to find out how many people are staying in a hotel on a certain day, so if Col B contains hotel, then count no of values in Col D for 10 Dec. (In this case, 1)

Definitely a pivot table in that case. See attached example - that took less than a minute to put together.

I've put the pivot table on the same sheet as the data, but obviously it might be more convenient to put it on a new sheet.

Advertisement