Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating from Ireland and returning later to sign on dole!

Options
  • 10-12-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

If someone was to emigrate from Ireland for 6 months and came back. If then they could not find work in Ireland, how long would they have to wait to get the dole?

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Does anyone have experience of leaving Ireland to look for work and returning to Ireland a while later (6 months or a year) and not being allowed to sign on again?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

AFAIK you can sign on as soon as you get back but this doesn't mean you will be entitled to the dole. Your dole entitlement will be worked out depending on your prsi contributions (not sure over what period of time)

Chiorino wrote: »
    AFAIK you can sign on as soon as you get back but this doesn't mean you will be entitled to the dole. Your dole entitlement will be worked out depending on your prsi contributions (not sure over what period of time)

Hi Chiorino. Do you mean PRSI contributions paid if I worked abroad?

But Jobseekers Allowance is means tested, surely I'd be entitled to that if I came back to Ireland in a years time and was unable to find work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I think you have to have been resident in Ireland for the last 2 years to be entitled to the regular dole payment, even if you're a natural born Irish citizen.

After that there is an option, the Health Board, I think, but I'm not exactly sure how you go about it.

Perhaps e-mail or call your local citizens advice bureau and they'll tell you all you need to know.

AntiMatter wrote: »
    I think you have to have been resident in Ireland for the last 2 years to be entitled to the regular dole payment, even if you're a natural born Irish citizen.

After that there is an option, the Health Board, I think, but I'm not exactly sure how you go about it.

Perhaps e-mail or call your local citizens advice bureau and they'll tell you all you need to know.

So if I left Ireland for 6 months or 6 years - it would not matter, I'd still have to be back living in Ireland for at least 2 years? That is crazy. Irish citizens should have better rights than that. Leaving Ireland then is a risk as a job may not work out when living abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Worztron wrote: »
    So if I left Ireland for 6 months or 6 years - it would not matter, I'd still have to be back living in Ireland for at least 2 years? That is crazy. Irish citizens should have better rights than that. Leaving Ireland then is a risk as a job may not work out when living abroad.

No i think your wrong, if you leave ireland and you stay abroad for 2 years or over its then you will have the problem, i came back lastyear after being away for just over a year and a half and i got the dole

gustafo wrote: »
    No i think your wrong, if you leave ireland and you stay abroad for 2 years or over its then you will have the problem, i came back lastyear after being away for just over a year and a half and i got the dole

Hello gustafo. Were you living in the Common Travel Area or mainland Europe of further afield? Were you laid off from you job abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hello gustafo. Were you living in the Common Travel Area or mainland Europe of further afield? Were you laid off from you job abroad?

I was in new zealand and my visa was finished so had to come home.

gustafo wrote: »
    I was in new zealand and my visa was finished so had to come home.

I see. Thanks for the info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i was in New Zealand for about 10 months

and came back to this F**KING place in july and was able to sign on immediately

all i needed was a copy of my flight tickets to and from NZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Selnyc

Hi, it's not true that if you have been out of Ireland over 2 years you can't claim dole. I was in New York for 6 years and received jobs seekers allowance straight away when I returned.

Selnyc wrote: »
    Hi, it's not true that if you have been out of Ireland over 2 years you can't claim dole. I was in New York for 6 years and received jobs seekers allowance straight away when I returned.

Really? I am amazed by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 O_x1992x_O

Selnyc wrote: »

Does that count tho if your in the U.S illegally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Really? I am amazed by that.
    AFAIK some Social welfare officers view coming back to Ireland as hindering your chance of getting employment and they use this as a basis to refuse you welfare but it's not all of them that do this.

So whether you receive anything depends on who you get to asses you claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dm5854

I am Self-employed at the moment and not making enough money to live, If i was to emirgrate would I get job seekers allowance when I return after 6months?? I am not entitled to it now because I am self employed even though I have kept 5 people in a job for the last 10 years, its a bloody joke, so what do you think, would i get the dole when i get back??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

dm5854 wrote: »
    I am Self-employed at the moment and not making enough money to live, If i was to emirgrate would I get job seekers allowance when I return after 6months?? I am not entitled to it now because I am self employed even though I have kept 5 people in a job for the last 10 years, its a bloody joke, so what do you think, would i get the dole when i get back??

This is not true you can apply for jobseekers allowance which is means tested you will have to supply profit and loss accounts etc... I would advise you to go to your nearest social welfare office and apply for jobseekers allowance it will take some time but in the mean time you can apply for supplementary welfare allowance from you community welfare officer who will also need proof of earnings eg. profit and loss accounts. Hope this is of some help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dm5854

eastbono wrote: »
    This is not true you can apply for jobseekers allowance which is means tested you will have to supply profit and loss accounts etc... I would advise you to go to your nearest social welfare office and apply for jobseekers allowance it will take some time but in the mean time you can apply for supplementary welfare allowance from you community welfare officer who will also need proof of earnings eg. profit and loss accounts. Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks for this info. Its a terrible thing when a man has to sit and beg for money, Ive heard of these community welfare places and its very degrading having to sit with these people, Im going to try anyway and see what they say, if no joy then im another one for the emigration list except ill be taking 4 others with me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Selnyc

O_x1992x_O wrote: »
    Does that count tho if your in the U.S illegally?

Yeah, they didnt ask if I had been legal or not and I don't think they can actually ask you about your status while you were over there, so once you pass the means test you should be able get jobs seekers allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 parazard

Careful because if you leave the country for 6 months they might refuse you Jobseeker Allowance on grounds of not meeting the habitual residence condition. I see people being refused every day who have been in the country for years and working (but not enough PRSI for Jobseeker Benefit) who then have to appeal and wait 10-12 months for a decision.... guess how the CWO are making sure the live register figures go down?

Supplementary Welfare Allowance if also means tested (i.e. how much you have from various sources) and Habitual Residence.

Also please note that the 2 years rule used to be that you had to prove that you had been living in the state for at least 2 years before you could be entitled to any allowance. Note that this was scrapped (in 2007 I think) yet CWO still apply it mistakenly. It is not the lenght of time that it's important it is being able to prove that 'your main centre of interest is Ireland'. There are several other things.
    Good sources of info and advice are the Irish National Organisation for the Unemployed www.inou.ie or citizens information centres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement