Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol Prices and Buying a Petrol?

• 10-12-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been looking at cars recently to replace my '99 170K mile Almera whenever/if it dies.

Initially I was thinking of diesel but after reading about DMFs, DPFs and all the other potential areas for issues I reckoned I wouldn't be doing the mileage to justify a diesel (<10K miles a year).

So that had me thinking why not go for a nice petrol car. I have been thinking about a Honda Accord 2.0, latest generation Celica or a Mazda RX-8.

But with the price of petrol these days would it make cars like these hard to sell on later? Not as if they have huge engines but it still could be a factor.

Comments

They'll all use a good lash more petrol than the Almera :) Probably will be hard to shift on unfortunately, a 1.6 diesel Focus or diesel Megane is where the "smart" money is going these days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just checked Parker's for the MPG for each car. Could these figures be true or should they be taken with a large pinch of salt??

Nissan Almera 1.4 (96-00) 40mpg
    Honda Accord 2.0 (03-08) 38mpg
    Toyota Celica 1.8 140bhp (99-06) 36mpg
    Mazda RX-8 (03 -) 192bhp 26mpg

According to these I shouldn't notice much of a difference between the Almera and the Honda or Toyota? The RX-8 is a bit bloody saucy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

If you buy the accord or RX8 you'll be married to it, not a problem if you like the car and are happy to keep it long term.

The celica would be my pick, suprisingly economical for a performance car.
    Almost bought one a couple of times, the T-Sport in thunder grey is particurlary nice ;)

140bhp Celica wouldn't be the best option really. I doubt you'd see 38mpg from a 2.0 Accord except for on a long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just checked Parker's for the MPG for each car. Could these figures be true or should they be taken with a large pinch of salt??

Nissan Almera 1.4 (96-00) 40mpg
    Honda Accord 2.0 (03-08) 38mpg
    Toyota Celica 1.8 140bhp (99-06) 36mpg
    Mazda RX-8 (03 -) 192bhp 26mpg

According to these I shouldn't notice much of a difference between the Almera and the Honda or Toyota? The RX-8 is a bit bloody saucy though!

You wont get anywhere near that in an Rx-8 unless your only doing long journeys in it, think more along the lines of the teens for Rx-8 MPG figures and you'd want to get the 231bhp version anyway.

If going for the Celica then also you should be looking at the 190 version, same mpg, better spec and more power, the 140 version is a bit pointless in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd always take these MPG figures with a pinch of salt myself, not because they're incorrect from a technical point-of-view, but more because they don't take into account the fact that you'll change your driving style also. I'd say you'll enjoy pushing the Celica on far more than the Accord, giving different real world MPG figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hi guys,

I've been looking at cars recently to replace my '99 170K mile Almera whenever/if it dies.

Initially I was thinking of diesel but after reading about DMFs, DPFs and all the other potential areas for issues I reckoned I wouldn't be doing the mileage to justify a diesel (<10K miles a year).

So that had me thinking why not go for a nice petrol car. I have been thinking about a Honda Accord 2.0, latest generation Celica or a Mazda RX-8.

But with the price of petrol these days would it make cars like these hard to sell on later? Not as if they have huge engines but it still could be a factor.

well a RX 8 will drink petrol for one, not to mention oil.

if you are cool with that and are fond of regular TLC with a RX 8 that is important.

a 2 litre accord is a fine specimen but will also be thirsty, if you want an economical petrol tbh your car list is quite ridiculous...!

and no one can (easily) sell a 2.0 litre honda or a RX8 in Ireland now, so be warned.

There is a immaculate DC5 on adverts for 15grand or so and its a genuine 2005 type r, that car would be sold in a flash if the country was not screwed up. I dont think you can get a 05 for that price in the uk or europe

that doesnt say much for anyone selling a 2 litre accord or a oil slupring RX8

True. I'm not really looking for a very economical car, just one I can live with as regards fuel consumption and reselling power. I do only 8-10K miles max a year.

The RX-8 seems out anyway, still interested in the 190bhp Celica or maybe the Accord.

If these car are so hard to flog I'd hate to see the prospects a 3.0 Twin Turbo Supra or a V6 Audi or VW Golf would have! :eek:

True. I'm not really looking for a very economical car, just one I can live with as regards fuel consumption and reselling power. I do only 8-10K miles max a year.

The RX-8 seems out anyway, still interested in the 190bhp Celica or maybe the Accord.

If these car are so hard to flog I'd hate to see the prospects a 3.0 Twin Turbo Supra or a V6 Audi or VW Golf would have! :eek:

id say a celica, but only if you are like under 30...;)

id say a celica, but only if you are like under 30...;)

2 and a half years to 30 so I'm sound! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you're talking the 00 shape Accord, the 2.0's are big and heavy. I personally like the looks of them, also they're in my top 5 list of most comfortable cars to sit it. 2.0 isn't powerful enough, tax is a tad saucey for what they are.

I'd be going for the Celica, lovely cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

The Celica is definitely a car to look at,
    I just think they took a dinner break after the front and forgot to come back to designing the back!:(
    http://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/2003-celica_t_sport/800x600/wallpaper_04.htm

Anyone know of any subtle kits that can improve the looks a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

Word of warning if you are going on a petrol low MPG car.. they are a b**th to sell. I had such a hard time selling my 1.8 turbo petrol car at the beginning of the year

well i think he knows that tbh...

I was ages selling a 98 civic coupe sri ages ago, and that was before the recession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

took me an hour to sell my punto 2months ago :D
    i would defo go for a celica, 190bhp only.the 140 supposedly drinks oil

Advertisement