Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange fireball over Dublin 9Dec2010

Options
  • 10-12-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Anyone else see this last night? I was outside one the phone to a friend last night and seen a very fast moving orange light comming from the west to the east. It was 20:51 from my phone records. It moved right over head and went out at about 25 degrees over the east horizon.

Strange thing was it was cloudy last night? No noise but very fast in the sky. before it disapeared it faded then glowed again then went out, came back again then disapeared.

Just wondering if anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

possibly this?
    Stargazers throughout the UK have reported seeing a meteor-like streak of light in the darkened skies.
    The BBC was contacted by people in Scotland, the Midlands, Wales, and northern and south west England who saw the display at about 1740 GMT.
    One witness driving home from work in Coventry said the light was a bit scary because it was so "incredibly bright".
    Astronomers said the brightness of the meteor, a chunk of space rock burning up in the atmosphere, was unusual.
    Dr David Whitehouse, astronomer and former BBC correspondent, said: "It's a bright meteor called a fireball, extraordinarily bright.
    "This a chunk of space rock perhaps the size of your fist, perhaps a bit larger, that is burning up as it comes through our atmosphere at an altitude of 60 or 70 miles or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

maximoose wrote: »
    possibly this?
    chem wrote: »

No noise but very fast in the sky. before it disapeared it faded then glowed again then went out, came back again then disapeared.

Not a meteor in that case!

How fast did it do all that? in 2 seconds or 30 seconds? If its the latter it was probably just a chinese lantern.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=16043163#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

seen this one at 20:51 last night. Moving from west to east. Any reports of a second one around that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Not a meteor in that case!

How fast did it do all that? in 2 seconds or 30 seconds? If its the latter it was probably just a chinese lantern.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=16043163#

Was between 15-20 seconds. Ive launched chinese lanterns before but but never seen one move that fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Curious...

At 01:26am on Wednesday morning I saw an extremely bright fireball over Dublin moving in an East/West direction. It was travelling at the speed of
    a usual meteorite or 'shooting star' but what struck me was

a) The brightness and colour. Light orange
    b) The angle of attack so to speak. It was either an extremely long track
    or it was very steep. Judging by the speed I would tend to think that it
    was a very steep angle of entry.. any one else see this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ISS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ConorHR

chem wrote: »
    Anyone else see this last night? I was outside one the phone to a friend last night and seen a very fast moving orange light comming from the west to the east. It was 20:51 from my phone records. It moved right over head and went out at about 25 degrees over the east horizon.

Strange thing was it was cloudy last night? No noise but very fast in the sky. before it disapeared it faded then glowed again then went out, came back again then disapeared.

Just wondering if anyone else seen it?
    Sawanother fireball over Dublin on Sunday 23rd September 2012 at 00:15. Three or four very bright lights travelling very quickly to the West. The story is here in DublinCityNorth.com: http://dublincitynorth.com/index.php/fireball-bright-lights-in-sky-over-dublin/
    Story-Fireballs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ConorHR wrote: »
    Sawanother fireball over Dublin on Sunday 23rd September 2012 at 00:15. Three or four very bright lights travelling very quickly to the West.

How fast? Were there trails? Were they shedding bits as they went? Picture is useless unfortunately. Direction is wrong for orbital debris so would have to be a meteorite. Either that or Chinese Lanterns. Where were you in Dublin? Hard to find an unbroken horizon here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

..ITS ALIVE!

Advertisement