Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does the term Gombeen actually mean and where did it originate from?

• 10-12-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Been hearing this name being thrown about a lot recently. That and 'Parish Pump' politics - but the latter seems to be around longer.

Is gombeen just another term like "general amadan" or does it have a specific meaning?

I'm guessing it means politicians getting voted in nationally for local reasons but it seems to be applied to any act of idiocy nowadays.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

self centred and inept is what I take it as meaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Its origin is the Irish word "gaimbín", meaning monetary interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

A Gombeen Man is a pejorative Hiberno-English term used in Ireland for a shady, small-time "wheeler-dealer" or businessman who is always looking to make a quick profit, often at someone else's expense or through the acceptance of bribes. Its origin is the Irish word "gaimbín", meaning monetary interest.[1] The term referred originally to a money-lender and became associated with those shopkeepers and merchants who exploited the starving during the Irish Famine by selling much-needed food and goods on credit at ruinous interest rates.

From Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gombeen is a loose translation of "Jackie Healy Rea". Back in olden times he would be the go to guy to get stuff fixed i.e. a pothole or a sheep, in exchange for your vote. Kind of like Robert Mugabe. Gombeen men differ from normal humans in that they:

a)are usually found to be without spines (or any sort of Backbone altogether)
    b)have the mental ability of a bird table
    c)represent the worst stereotypes of their community

Gombeen men are dispersed evenly across the country but if you are looking you could do no worse than North Dublin, Tipperary and South Kerry. It's best to maintain your distance and if you find yourself in contact with them, whatever you do, do not lose eye contact with them. They have a habit of weaseling... this will allow them to escape and you may not find them again until the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Didn't a TD get damages from a UK newspaper for calling him gombeen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How very gombeen-ish of the TD :D

"You're a money grabber!"
    "I'll sue for damages"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Its a great word, is gombeen and it typifies so so many of our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

biko wrote: »
    How very gombeen-ish of the TD :D

"You're a money grabber!"
    "I'll sue for damages"

I think that TD was only rewarded a penny in damages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Albert Reynolds, wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

I think the amount was increased to £1 after appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It really means culchie bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

orourkeda wrote: »
    It really means culchie bollix

Bertie Ahern, Charles Haughey, Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor.

Need I go on?

Advertisement