Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet port "blown" on Xbox 360

• 10-12-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering has the above happened to anyone else?

I reckon it was caused by the lightning we had 2 weeks ago as it caused my house alarm to go off blew the DSL alarm monitoring filter and shorted my Linksys router!

The Xbox itself appears fully functional apart from this. I have the wireless N adaptor but I believe there is better connection over the Ethernet port?

Has anyone ever got this fixed and is it something Console Repairs in Bray could fix?- I have emailed them to find out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

It can happen, im not too sure if its fixable, as it might be a blown part on the motherboard rather than just then port itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

There is small chip very close on mainboard to ethernet probably he blow up too so ethernet is dead now.So now option to exchange chip or use as you said before
    wireless adapter,which is cheaper than exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

its not the ethernet chip if it was you would be getting 1 red light and the xbox would be throwing a e- code.
    not really worth replacing the port imo its expensive to do a pain in the hole to solder out and not alot of people will do it for you.
    just use the wireless n adapter they have very stable fast connections.
    Could also be a pin on the ethernet port crossed over another and thats shorting out the ethernet port have a look at it and if it is use something small to bend it straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Got this problem a few years from the same problem, and yes it's as a result of the lightning.

If your console still has the 1 year warranty, ring Micro$haft
    If your console still has the 3 year warranty RROD and e74, ring Micro$haft telling them you have the RROD
    If you've none of the above, either bring it to the repair shop, or get a new console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It'd be a time consuming solder, but most definitely possible. At the very least a direct solder of a LAN extender to the motherboard will get you up and running if you can't source a replacement RJ45+1xUSB unit off a dead console.

• Advertisement
Advertisement