Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a bank you WOULD trust? (Not a rant, just curious)

• 10-12-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭

Not going to get into the whole "All banks are scum and all execs should be lined up against a wall".

A post in the thread about AIB bonuses got me thinking: IS there a bank in Ireland that I feel performed in such a way that it would earn my trust? I'm with a bank now since I was 17. About to lose my job in new year and will have a bit of redundo. TBH this bank has lost my trust and it's senior staff have lost my respect and I don't want to help the bank profit in any way (However tiny a private individual may impact profits).

But my point is: WHO do I move to? Again, not a rant, just curious: ARE there any trustworthy banks operating in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The **** bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wouldn't say any bank can be trusted.
    They're not in business to do you a favour/look out for you.
    They're in business to make money/look out for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The **** bank.
    In before the "Aren't they ALL ****" post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Rabo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The **** bank.

The blood bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

River bank very dodgy when wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Swiss one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

or maybe banksy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I ll hold on to it for ya, you can trust me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why do you need to trust your bank?

There are contracts in place for your dealings, government guarantees on your money (up to 100k), legal avenues for disputes.
    I have no more need to trust BOI than I do ESB or whoever. As long as they provide the service I want its fine, if not I move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd say BOI are by far and a way the most respectable Irish bank.
    That's not to say they are perfect, but just the best of the Irish ones.

At least they tried to stay off nationalisation by reaching the 8% credit target that was set for them by issuing more share capitol and raising the funds fro the market. Its not really their fault that the IMF then came in and demanded a 12% target which pulled the rug from under their feet thus forcing the government to buy them out (by the way, the rest of the EU works on 8% target or their abouts).

So BOI for me.

As an aside they had the lowest percentage of their loan book related to property as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

None of the Irish banks, that's for sure. I've an account set up with an outside bank and stick my savings in there. The only reason I stay with BOI is that it's handy for getting paid by direct debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Im with TSB and havent had any problems ever with them, as far i as i know they havent got state money in them and if they do its nowhere near as bad as AIB or BOI. Maybe somebody can confirm this?

Id go with any bank but BOI or AIB, even if money is safe, out of principle, i wouldn’t want to contribute a cent to them of my own will. The bailout with my tax though i cannot control as tax is deducted before i get paid, unfortunately, otherwise i just wouldn’t pay tax to this government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I've been with Ulster Bank for 10 years and while I wouldn't call it trust, I would just say that I'm fairly happy with their service.

Right now, there's no bricks-and-mortar alternative, so I'll stay put but if given the opportunity I would change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm not trying to defend bankers but if a bank behaved responsibly during the boom years their share price would have dropped and they'd have been destroyed by the other banks taking advantage of the cheap credit and false economy.

Would certainly trust my credit union more than my bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

HSBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

I was with AIB for over 20 years and 2 years ago treated me like sh1t

Moved my account, mortgage ...the whole lot to National Irish Bank, and believe me...right to this day they have proven themselves 100 times better than AIB....staff so friendly too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Im with TSB and havent had any problems ever with them, as far i as i know they havent got state money in them and if they do its nowhere near as bad as AIB or BOI. Maybe somebody can confirm this?

yup they arent dealing with NAMA

plus they havent paid bonuses in three years and wont be next year from what I gather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 imwatchingyou

Is there a bank you WOULD trust?

my piggybank is the only bank i trust right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

have a read at this thread Ijust posted....

A bottle of pop and a packet of crisps for the first person can giess which bank I am referring to....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056115866

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

Id go with any bank but BOI or AIB, even if money is safe, out of principle, i wouldn’t want to contribute a cent to them of my own will. The bailout with my tax though i cannot control as tax is deducted before i get paid, unfortunately, otherwise i just wouldn’t pay tax to this government.

ptsb are not in the NAMA scheme and have released a statement saying they dont see any problems raising the capital required to reach the Capital ratio Target of 12%. They have stated they are not in a position where they will need to go to the government to source the additional capital required to meet this 12% target. All good news from their perspective as well as their customers it seems. Its just a case of watch and wait with all the banks at this stage to see how all this plays out I guess.

Gucky wrote: »

A bottle of pop and a packet of crisps for the first person can giess which bank I am referring to....

BOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

biko wrote: »
    I wouldn't say any bank can be trusted.
    They're not in business to do you a favour/look out for you.
    They're in business to make money/look out for themselves.

Exactly why a state run bank and insurance agency (not a de facto state run, rescued private bank) is ideal imo.

I don't see where the advantage of such a business being in the private sector lies for the majority of average clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BOI?

nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Banks exist to make money for their shareholders, as much as possible. They dont exist to help you or look after your interests, just look at the ones that were overcharging their customers for years until they were caught out. I wouldnt say one is better than the other, its in their nature to act this way. Maybe some werent as reckless as others but thats a seperate matter

nope

Ah now the tension is killing me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your bank made a simple mistake and then rectified it as soon as they found out?? Those [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL]!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Fcuk banks I use them but don't trust them, credit union for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Gold or silver in a safety deposit box in a swiss bank FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not going to get into the whole "All banks are scum and all execs should be lined up against a wall".

A post in the thread about AIB bonuses got me thinking: IS there a bank in Ireland that I feel performed in such a way that it would earn my trust? I'm with a bank now since I was 17. About to lose my job in new year and will have a bit of redundo. TBH this bank has lost my trust and it's senior staff have lost my respect and I don't want to help the bank profit in any way (However tiny a private individual may impact profits).

But my point is: WHO do I move to? Again, not a rant, just curious: ARE there any trustworthy banks operating in Ireland?

I'm sorry by this is just typical paddy bull$hit. You may blame the banks, fianna fail whatever but, to me, that post very much sums up why this country is so fckued.

Can you at least define what you mean by "trustworthy banks"? Exactly what characteristics are mandatory? What characteristics must be avoided?

Advertisement