Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fuel for House fire Wood, Coal, Briquettes , Strogs

• 10-12-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi Chaps
    Wondering the consenses on the best source of fuel for a standard house fire

Cost, Heat Output, Ash left behind

I have found the following

"FIRE WOOD"
    Th Kiln dried bagged stuff from Woodies about 7 quid a bag
    Clean but you can burn through a full bag in one evening so its Expensive
    The 5 euro wood from the service station is usually Damp, Dirty full of bugs and sends sparks out onto the carpet due to the high water content
    Not much ash left behind
    Visually you cant beat a log fire

"BRIQUETTES"
    Clean,
    HIGH heat output
    Cost effective about 4.50 for a bale seems to last longer then wood
    No sparks, easy to light

"COAL"
    Dirty
    Hard to light

"STROGS"
    Low heat output
    Lots of ash
    Hard to Light

Im wondering What people use at home taking into account the factors above. I want to buy in a bulk lot and considering the best option!
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Buy a load of logs by the trailer. Keep em covered and dry, and should be ok,

tbh, I've found that I've always needed some coal on the fire anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

4.50 a bale of briquettes?????

You are being robbed my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I gather wood in summer and have built a woodshed where it dries nicely. I can usually scrounge it for free. I use a combination of wood and briquettes in my stove and find the combination to be better than either fuel on it's own. Wood is great but burns too fast on it's own.

The turf creates a lot of ash but that preserves coals, so when I make up a fire i never have to light it. :D

I think the last time I needed to light the fire was over a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think the last time I needed to light the fire was over a month ago.

Same as that. We have a small stanley stove and a stanley errigal range and we burn turf in both. the last time we had to light the fire was back in October when I had to let the range go out to clean out the flue. Turf provides low but constant heat.

Bought BNM briquettes for christmas burning last week in local hardware for €2.75 per bale in a promotion that they had.

Advertisement