Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IO's C&H Poetry Challenge

Options
  • 10-12-2010 11:13am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now, some people will remember that I used to call myself An File (and I had it that way for a year, so ye can forget about the previous incorrect spelling! :p ).
    Unfortunately, I've written only two poems this year. One of those was for a college religion project, so it doesn't count. I don't want the reputation that went with my old name to vanish!

I want to write a pile of poems before the end of the year. That's where C&H comes into it! I want people to post requests, suggestions and challenges for me. Ye can pick different styles, themes, forms or even word combinations. I'll try to respond with one poem for every poster who makes a suggestion, and put the whole lot of them up together before New Year's Eve.

That gives us three weeks. Let the game begin. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Write a 2,000 line epic about a man named Pygmalion and his quest to restore order to a small village at the foot of the Himalayas.
    The poem should not contain a single instance of the letter 'e'.

Rhyming is optional, but encouraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Beauty in everyday things that get over-looked, in free verse.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Beauty in everyday things that get over-looked, in free verse.

:D

Could you try being a little bit more vague there, cuz? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Could you try being a little bit more vague there, cuz? :p

That's the point! :D I'm being 'artsy'

The moment when you make a discovery, or realise some brilliant idea, and everything becomes clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

One direction, harry styles, niall horan, louis tomlinson, zayn malik, liam payne (fyi :P), soccy, deise :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Write a poem about Davidius plz!

It can contain verses based around:
    1) Davidius' great OP skills
    2) Davidius' serious humour
    3) Why people wouldn't like to be stuck in a lift with Davidius
    4) Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Minimalist poem about a particular piece of literature that you found overwhelming / good / alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I would like a poem about myself. One request though, it has to be about me putting up posters of Hayley Williams with Blu Tack. To add a bit of suspense, perhaps one of the posters could fall down in the second or third verse, and then I have to go and put it up again.

That'd be awesome, thank you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'll take up some of these challenges as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Write about your feeling towards lambs, both cooked and alive, using many adjectives, but no adverbs.
    preferably a sonnet, with subtle refrences towards your love of the land

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

One direction, harry styles, niall horan, louis tomlinson, zayn malik, liam payne (fyi :P), soccy, deise :P

I want one of these iswell please :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

deise_girl wrote: »
    I want one of these iswell please :P

One Direction, the name of their band
    Soccy and Deise have them in such a demand.
    Zayn Malik, the obnoxious one,
    With Harry Styles, Deise would love to have some fun.
    Louis Tomlinson, the carrot lover,
    Liam Payne, is he a woman under cover?
    Stalkers are common for them,
    One even goes by the name of Clem.
    If only Deise and Soccy could,
    The damage that they would.
    The lines about them come and go,
    But it maintains to make C&H go co-co. :)

I saved you the bother tbf I_O 'cos you probs don't even know who they are :) muahaha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Well played, Noel! You have saved me quite the torturous task there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

An anti-author version of one of your previous poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Write a poem describing your posting of this thread in the hope of finding material with which to write more poems.

It must:

*use at least one instance of pathetic fallacy
    *include the title of this thread
    *only use lines starting with vowels

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Oooohh Insect Overlord can you do a poem for me all about nature?

Ok so I’ll set the scene a little for you. It’s somewhere isolated like up in some mountains. It’s a peaceful but bitterly cold morning. The trees are silhouetted against the rising sun and the leaves are rustling gently in the breeze. All the little animals are scurrying around quietly, unaware that there’s a human nearby watching them. You can decide on what animals to put in. Maybe have a deer grazing or something? Definitely have little birdies chirping in it anyway or I’ll complain. :p

It has to be pretty and aesthetic anyway. Don’t really care what formatting and stuff that you apply to it or whether it rhymes.

It better be awesome or I’ll totally slate you so no pressure then. :pac:

Also Noel, fair play on the One Direction poem. I’m sure the girls will be thrilled when they see it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    One Direction, the name of their band
    Soccy and Deise have them in such a demand.
    Zayn Malik, the obnoxious one,
    With Harry Styles, Deise would love to have some fun.
    Louis Tomlinson, the carrot lover,
    Liam Payne, is he a woman under cover?
    Stalkers are common for them,
    One even goes by the name of Clem.
    If only Deise and Soccy could,
    The damage that they would.
    The lines about them come and go,
    But it maintains to make C&H go co-co. :)

I saved you the bother tbf I_O 'cos you probs don't even know who they are :) muahaha

......Where's Niall in this poem?
    You left out the best member.

This makes the whole poem a fail NOEL!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well given the birthday celebrations, that might be a theme ... old-style ballad might be the most appropriate format. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I would like for you to write a poem about jazz hands please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

A poem about C&H? we could put it on our tshirts or something

A poem about poetry?

A shakespearean sonnet about Jumpguy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Dear Insect Overlord,

Please write a very silly poem. Maybe it could be about a penguin who can't drink his hot, hot soup because his tiny penguin beak is too used to chilly Antarctic temperatures.

For bonus marks, write it in broken English; words spelled incorrectly, pronouns with ambiguous antecedents, incorrect usages of "your/you're" and "their/there/they're"... just generally make it all over the shop in terms of grammatical construction and clarity. Post it, then, burn it!

Stare into the flames and let it stir you - you have witnessed the creation and loss of something beautiful! Let the destruction of this poem inspire you to write another, better poem about death, birth, and the continuing iteration and reinvention of life. Feel free to write this one free from all of my stupid guidelines. :p Then, post that one up too, please!

Sincerely,
    Little Girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I would like to see
    A collection of haikus.
    Like this. But better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The impact of driving a car has had on your life.

Bitter oranges.

Limerick City (kid).

How Mary I would be savage if it was like UL.

Science and history.

Turgor pressure.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Hey, I feel like I am abusing this as I don't really know you... But it still would be cool. If you don't want to don't write the poem at all, I would understand.

The poem should be on the subject of unrequited love, from both perspectives, also kinda like Kavanaghs poem On Raglan Road, but also quite like Prufrock by T.S. Eliot. If you could make it quite deep, so that one would not fully understand it on first reading? Preferably one of the carachters is insecure too.

Im a big fan of poetry but never wrote any, and those two poems are my favourite...

Anyway thats a big ask, feel free to ignore it, if you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Write one about the brief moment of sheer terror when you nearly fall from tipping a chair too far back. Make it an allegory about life or love or death or some shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

A two hundred thousand word epic on the Pregnancy thread from a few months back, (including the deleted scenes, naturally) please. :P :D
    not really, i'm not actually that pretentious and egoistic

Howabout something to do with the hypocrisy and lies of our leading politicians in recent years in the face of our impending economic doom?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Write one about the brief moment of sheer terror when you nearly fall from tipping a chair too far back. Make it an allegory about life or love or death or some shít.
    Teetering on the brink, a split second defines
    The future. To fall to earth, or hover and recover
    That equilibrium that wraps us in heedless
    Numb complacency. So it is with us, lover!
    Or through fear and peril we may awaken anew,
    And afresh each other discover?

I'll leave it to IO to do a daycent job on that for you, oh neurotic one, but I couldn't resist giving it a passing poke! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

A poem,preferably in old English about your undying love of Mudkipz and perhaps from the perspect of a person who heard of this love.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

A sonnet, in the Petrarchan form, about the love one man has for his pineapple.

Use of alliteration admired, but not necessary.

Oh, and to make it slightly less taking the piss-esque, the pineapple can be a metaphor for something else :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement