Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealer / stain block

• 10-12-2010 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend the best sealer for to stop the smell of soot on a chimney brest. My parents recently had to get their chimney relined with a metal liner because there were a few damp patches that came through the chimnet brest which had a very sooty smell. What would be the best way to treat these damp patches (there are 3 or 4 white patches the size of a €2 coin) and if we treat them will it take away the smell of soot from them too??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

reilig wrote: »
    can anyone recommend the best sealer for to stop the smell of soot on a chimney brest. My parents recently had to get their chimney relined with a metal liner because there were a few damp patches that came through the chimnet brest which had a very sooty smell. What would be the best way to treat these damp patches (there are 3 or 4 white patches the size of a €2 coin) and if we treat them will it take away the smell of soot from them too??

Can you not try to wash them off and dry the damp out with a de-humidifier? Would let you know if the leak has stopped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Can you not try to wash them off and dry the damp out with a de-humidifier? Would let you know if the leak has stopped too.

The leak has stopped as the chimney has been relined and properly sealed. it has dried out and there is no damp left in it, but there is a white damp stain and a terrible smell from it. Paint will cover the stain, but I need a sealer to cover the smell as its in a bedroom.

I wonder would any of the anti mould paints do the job?

I wonder would any of the anti mould paints do the job?

I picked up a small tin of ronseal sealer and anti mould paint in a hardware just now and I will test it on it tonight when i get home. I spent a few minutes researching it on the internet this morning and uk sites say that the product needs to be solvent or oil based for it to take effect and it should set quite hard and keep out the smell as well as stop any mould growing. After 24 hours it is ready to repaint. Anything would be better than the smell of soot in the room so i hope its good smelly stuff :D

I read that its what cleaners use on walls to disguise smoke damage from a fire during a clean up. Hopefully it will work. Just thought someone on here would have more experience of it than me.

Thanks for your time anyway Fingers!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

You need a product called ZINSSER B-I-N PRIMER it has stain and odour killing properties its used a lot in fire damaged properties.you should be able to get it in any good paint shop

• Advertisement

FREDNISMO wrote: »
    You need a product called ZINSSER B-I-N PRIMER it has stain and odour killing properties its used a lot in fire damaged properties.you should be able to get it in any good paint shop

Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind - although the stuff that I got today seems to have done the trick - It went on like treacle but set like a ceramic glaze and it has covered up the smell nicely. Its supposed to take paint very well - so I'll test it out tomorow.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

I picked up a small tin of ronseal sealer and anti mould paint in a hardware just now and I will test it on it tonight when i get home. I spent a few minutes researching it on the internet this morning and uk sites say that the product needs to be solvent or oil based for it to take effect and it should set quite hard and keep out the smell as well as stop any mould growing. After 24 hours it is ready to repaint. Anything would be better than the smell of soot in the room so i hope its good smelly stuff :D

I read that its what cleaners use on walls to disguise smoke damage from a fire during a clean up. Hopefully it will work. Just thought someone on here would have more experience of it than me.

Thanks for your time anyway Fingers!! ;)

No problem. I've only used the anti mold paint / sealer before. it was to cover up a stain from a leak in the side wall of a house after it was repaired. Only thing that would cover up the stains permanently

Advertisement