Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey Town Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 10-12-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

howya folks,

Anyone about from Gorey who can recommend good experiences with any mobile broadband provider? I'm currently on the 3 modem, supposed to be a 3MB connection. It usually provides about 0.8 - 1.2 MB. I'd like to upgrade to a 7MB modem with one of the providers but it'd be great to get a bit of feedback before I do, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

3 is congested to the hilt-try Meteor,less congestion=better speed.Most of them have a trial period to try them out.Go for the pay as you go option and avoid getting stuck in a contract only to find the service turns out to be crap.Why not try Permanet or Ripplecom for fixed wireless-much better if you don't want to go with the likes of Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

zerks... you seem like a bit of a broadband guru about these parts - whilst we're here you might be able to help me:

I live in the sticks... no broadband. 3 in conjunction with the National Broadband Scheme have implemented infrastructure in my area.

Anytime I've seen these standard broadband dongles they've been pure sh*te. 4KB per sec a friend was getting who lives up the Shannon... dial up like speeds.

Given that the NBB uses specific dedicated infrastructure I was hoping it might be slightly better than your standard mobile bb dongle... but I have my reservations too.

If I got something decent just for email and basic browsing I might be interested.

Any ideas?

I use Permanet http://www.permanet.ie/New/ myself-Don't agree with paying line rental to get broadband or Eircoms stance on p2p.It's not as cheap as a dongle but very reliable,I've never had an issue with it in almost 3 years that I've had it.As I'm typing I'm downloading some tv shows and have a couple of tabs open with no problems-you wouldn't do that with a dongle.

With regard to the dongles,the big boys such as 3,02 and vodafone are oversubscribed and congested,Meteor is pretty new on the block so doesn't suffer in this regard-yet.Try and get one on a trial basis and test it out.

Ripplecom are another fixed wireless company that service rural areas,you can check the coverage map on their site http://www.ripplecom.net/ If you sign up to a longer contract than the typical 12 months there is a reduction in price of install.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

voafone at home

€40 a month, 8mb connection, 512 up. free calls off peak weekend like youd be using them

nuff said

wreckless wrote: »
    voafone at home

€40 a month, 8mb connection, 512 up. free calls off peak weekend like youd be using them

nuff said

Up to 8mb-simple fact is most lines aren't capable of handling 8mb especially in rural areas where you're lucky to get 1mb.Check the broadband forum for more info. The Up to bit covers isp's asses when you complain about your speed.Best way to check is give a neighbours landline number to Eircom and they can tell you what your line can handle.

• Advertisement

i know its not mobile bb but if u have a landline, then this is always a better option than mobile. depends on your/the situation i guess. give me cabled over wireless anyday

on the other issue zerks. i totally understand the up to bit. however, i get 820kb download on files ;)

even speedtest bdont show the full capacity :rolleyes:

1066948845.png

i know its not mobile bb but if u have a landline, then this is always a better option than mobile. depends on your/the situation i guess. give me cabled over wireless anyday

on the other issue zerks. i totally understand the up to bit. however, i get 820kb download on files ;)

even speedtest bdont show the full capacity :rolleyes:

1066948845.png

Good speeds there-you're one of the lucky ones,even if it's more expensive than a dongle I'd rather pay that bit more for decent reliable broadband such as what you're getting.You save in the long run.

i know. when i spoke to vodafone, the guy said that my line was only down on their system as a 2mb line. i told him i had the BT package years ago up to4mb so should be ok and it is as you can see.

1068089579.png

didnt the comms dept announce the full roll out of BB now contrywide during the week? contracted by 3

i know. when i spoke to vodafone, the guy said that my line was only down on their system as a 2mb line. i told him i had the BT package years ago up to4mb so should be ok and it is as you can see.

1068089579.png

didnt the comms dept announce the full roll out of BB now contrywide during the week? contracted by 3

Read my views on it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056116529 A fudge and cop out by the government again.The NBS was the cheap option that still managed to cost nearly €300 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

dazcush wrote: »
    howya folks,

Anyone about from Gorey who can recommend good experiences with any mobile broadband provider? I'm currently on the 3 modem, supposed to be a 3MB connection. It usually provides about 0.8 - 1.2 MB. I'd like to upgrade to a 7MB modem with one of the providers but it'd be great to get a bit of feedback before I do, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Daz

i am living in camolin and was with 3 but it was pure dirt and i got rid of it and tried all the other mobile broadband providers and vodafone worked best for me if you do what i did i went in to the cardphone warehouse in the shopping centre early one friday morning and signed up to one of the mobile broadband providers bring it home if it did not work or was painfully slow i brought it back straight away and cancelled that contract and signed up to different provider and i kept doing this until i got the one that worked best maybe you could try that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rosco p coltrane

my eircon contract runs out in Jan 2011, looks like permanet for me, i'm near gorey. they have a bundle phone and 3m bb for €50 inc. VAT.

Advertisement