Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decent Scrapyard in and around Dublin for selling off my car - Please Advice

• 10-12-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there..

I have a 04 Toyota Avensis, Luna Model about 90K on Mileage.
    I had a crash last monday and my car skidded on ice and hit a pole.

The insurance company have said its a write off as the repair estimate they received from their agents are not economical.

The scrappage value for the car they have offered in 1100 Euros for the Car, which I think is very little for this very well kept car.

I am hoping to get a better value from any other scrappage vendors.
    Wondering if any suggestions.

I have attached the picture of my car as it crashed.
    Any advice, really appreciated.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Mileage adjusted book value for an 04 Avensis 1.6 Luna is €3,030. €1,100 quid repair must be a very touch and go write off.

Is there damage behind the bodywork, or is it all cosmetic? I reckon someone would repair that for a lot less than €1,100 if it's only cosmetic - in that case you can take the insurance cheque, get the car repaired and pocket the difference.

If you do that though you may have trouble insuring or selling the car as it will be listed as a write off with the insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

r.o.r.
    The salvage value is 1100euro off the preaccident value. the cost to repair may be alot more.
    The preaccident value -salvage value - the exess on the policy = what the insurer will pay which may or may not leave the op in a postion to repair the damaged vehicle.
    If you decide to keep the car it will stand you 1100euro + excess on policy + an assesors report +cost to fix + cost of replacement car while fixing + any hassle of explaining the damage/writen off bit when you sell it on again.
    Personally i would take the 1100euro and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Will they still give you €1100 if you remove some of the parts yourself?

If so, pull out the stereo, spare wheel, hell even the 3 good wheels, seats etc and sell them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smohapatra

Tired of calling up all Car dismantlers.
    All of them have been offering me same price euro 1000/-

I just think its a monopoly where in you pay all the time and you loose money.I was expecting to get 1500 euros of the car atleast with a Car that good tyres/alloys and NCT'd for 2 years / engine no problem and just a body repair.

But the guys all around want to buy it cheap.This being the case the best i got is from the insurer and thats dismal in my view.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭carface

Unfair it may seem but the trick is two get a good pre-accident value and a small salvage value. A decent breaker wont be paying over the odds just to please you (they need to make money)@1500euro its hard to see where they will make good money by breaking for scrap parts.
    Unless you can get someone interested in buying it with a view towards fixing it over time with secondhand parts you may struggle to get anymore.
    If you can find out from your insurer which salvage/breakers yard underwrote the salvage you are entitled to a minimum of the 1100euro agreed in the settlement but not anymore than that from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 waterford1

what kind of damage is done to the car, is there suspension/airbag damage etc ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As others have said, what type of damage? It is possible to get the car fixed for less that the insurance have been quoted and still have a good job done. This may suit if you were planning to hold the car for a while yet. You may also make a few quid on the accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Will they still give you €1100 if you remove some of the parts yourself?

If so, pull out the stereo, spare wheel, hell even the 3 good wheels, seats etc and sell them online.

Why would they still pay 1100 euro if not getting the full car ? They will have factored in having these parts to sell when bidding on the car. If I bid on a car complete and had parts missing off it when I got it I'd throw it back.

@OP, if the car dismantlers are all offering around 1000 euro for it, and you are getting 1100 euro for it, sounds like it's the market value. Unless you either repair it or break it up yourself, your only other option (other than accepting the offer) is to advertise and hope that a private buyer will give more than the breakers. Could happen, but not many would want it. Why do you think it's worth 1500 euro ?

You have had the opportunity to get offers from several dismantlers. How is that a monopoly? If it was a monopoly there would only be one buyer.

What category is the insurance write-off ? B or C ? If it's B it can't go back on the road, end of. If C then it can go back but may need inspection after repair.

At the end of the day, if the insurance company are paying you enough for a like-for-like replacement, what difference does it make what the salvage value is ? If you are not getting enough for like-for-like replacement, then that's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smohapatra

Hi..

No Airbags damage.
    Its more of cosmetic.
    Engine is fine.

As others are saying it is viable only for some one to buy the car fix it and sell it and make money.

Attached a few pics of car.
    Its a Insurance Write-Off - C Type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

smohapatra wrote: »
    No Airbags damage.
    Its more of cosmetic.
    Engine is fine.

I'm guessing the chassis is ok, if so that could be easily fixed. You could try get it fixed yourself for cash, same as with anything else, shop around. Or try and sell as is on adverts or donedeal.

Also, maybe give this guy a ring and see what he'll offer.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, just did a quick search to give you an idea of what new parts would cost FYI. Again, these could be got cheaper secondhand.

Panels

Lights

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement