Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me if this should work with an Irish phone socket?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have the old Siemens Eircom handset and base at home and its finally starting to pack in.

So my mother went and bought a BT handset and base in Tesco's however when we got it home and connected it up it didn't work, the handset and based turned on but would not ring when we dialed the home number or when we tried to dial out we just got nothing.

The differences between the two were that the Siemens eircom one had a separate socket for the line and the power was separate whereas the BT seemed to draw its power from the line, would this make any difference?

I was thinking about buying this Philips base and handset from Argo's but there's no point if it wont work - Philips Base & Handset - is there anything I can check to make sure it will work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes it should work as I have bought a Philips quad cordless phone system.

They usually have a menu option to set country as Ireland.

Argos supply a BT to Eircom adaptor for free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cheers! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Tesco Ireland really shouldn't be selling products that don't work in Ireland. Argos at least provide an adaptor!

No cordless phone takes power from the line. Phone lines Ireland or the UK (or anywhere else) do not have sufficient power to do that. The BT phone may have a missing power adaptor? Some phones have 2 RJ11 sockets on the end one for the line and one for the power supply (which is also an RJ11 plug, like a phone cord)

Also, some UK phones incorrectly wire RJ11 (Standard Irish/US style plug) on the line cord. So, it's sometimes impossible to switch the UK line cord for an Irish one as the UK one has weird wiring on the RJ11 plug. If this is the case, use the original line cord with a BT adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

in a similar boat myself, my parents phone packed it in, and i agreed to get them one but due to the weather i cannot get into the country till xmas day so no time to get one before then, if i buy a phone here in the netherlands will it work in ireland?
    I was looking at the siemens gigaset A400 Trio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eurofoxy wrote: »
    in a similar boat myself, my parents phone packed it in, and i agreed to get them one but due to the weather i cannot get into the country till xmas day so no time to get one before then, if i buy a phone here in the netherlands will it work in ireland?
    I was looking at the siemens gigaset A400 Trio.

It *should* do, although I think there may be a difference in the Caller ID system in NL although most phones understand several types of Caller ID.

French, Spanish and German as well as US and Canadian phones work perfectly in Ireland.
    Spanish, US and Canadian phones even have the same plugs!

Simply changing the Dutch phone cord for an Irish one and it should work.

Worst case scenario is that you will need to purchase a Netherlands to RJ11 (US) phone adaptor. Usually, these are available in most countries as RJ11 (Irish style phone jacks) are used on the back of VoIP adaptors and other equipment that people need to connect their phones to.

Ireland's phone wiring's basically the same as the US and Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Probably a simple question, but could someone advise where (other than Argos) I can purchase a British to Irish phone adaptor?

I've been given a present of a BT cordless phone, which has the UK standard connector. The phone was bought in Argos, but they don't seem to have any adaptors in stock. I think they said this to my brother when it was being bought, and its also not available on their site.

I must try in currys...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cableguynick

First off all BT equipment requires a Master socket to ring. this is a socket with a build in capacitor. you can get an adaptor with a build in capacitor which will plug in to an Irish socket(RJ 11) these are available from Maplin in Dublin
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?cmd=viewstore&storeid=55&comingfrom=dublin
    or Radio spares in Herberton road, Dublin 8
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/

hope this helps

BTW the maximum number of telephone devices which can be plugged into a standard analogue telephone line (PSTN) is 3, this is because each device will Attenuate the line. causing a drop in volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 robertod

Guys,

Same questions for this phone triple pack from Argos.

Will it work on an Eircom line, assuming I get can get the UK to Ireland adaptor from Argos when purchasing? If it does will I need a separate adaptor for each handset, and will Argos supply these?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement