Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does an Ebook from Amazon work on the Sony Ereader?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

As the title implies, I have a Sony PR-505 ereader and I always find it tough to find a good selection of affordable books for it. After my second bad experience with Waterstones.com, I don't think I will be using that site again. The Amazon ebooks seem to be good value and they have a good range, but are they for Kindle only? Or can I use them on my Sony?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Really Kindle only I'm afraid. You can break the DRM on some of the books and copy them onto the Sony, but it's a bit arduous.

I had a Sony and loved it, but when the battery died I gave in and went to Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Where did you find the best to buy books for the Sony Ereader?
    My little sister is getting one for Christmas, and I only realised when getting this that she wouldn't be able to use Kindle. Also, how did you find getting the ebooks onto the device? Can you do it wirelessly without connection to the PC?
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

mcgovern wrote: »
    Where did you find the best to buy books for the Sony Ereader?
    My little sister is getting one for Christmas, and I only realised when getting this that she wouldn't be able to use Kindle. Also, how did you find getting the ebooks onto the device? Can you do it wirelessly without connection to the PC?
    Thanks,

You can't download wirelessly onto the Sony, you need to download it to your pc/laptop and then transfer it onto the Sony using a Reader Library program (it's very straightforward and is fully explained in the instructions.

Some of the sites I use to buy books:

www.waterstones.ie
    www.ebooks.com
    www.booksonboard.com

I used to find the WH Smith site good, but I don't think they sell to Ireland any more. The Sony bookstore also doesn't sell to Ireland which is a pain as it is quite reasonable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You may be able to download books from your library as well. South Dublin Libraries certainly has the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I used diesel-ebooks.com a few times for my Sony eReader, but they've some awful shìte for sale. I'd only buy books from them that I've been looking for, rather than chancing it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement