Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca show their true colours

• 10-12-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/la-liga/8193618/Barcelona-to-sell-to-shirt-sponsor-for-the-first-time-as-Qatar-Foundation-pay-140m-to-share-space-with-Unicef.html

Until as recently as 2005 Barcelona’s famous shirt bore no logo as they eschewed the chance to profit from sponsors.

For the last five years the club has actually paid for the privilege of having the name of Unicef, the international children’s charity, on their shirts, in a deal that to many reaffirmed Barcelona’s status as ‘mes que un club’, as they like to describe themselves.

However, the economic realities of modern football appear to have caught up with the Catalans and the deal struck with the Qatar Foundation, a non-profit organisation concerned primarily with education projects in the Middle East, far exceeds anything commanded by other major European clubs.

Manchester United and Real Madrid both earn a little over £20m a year for their rights while Bayern Munich make closer to £15m.

The logo of the Qatar Foundation, which is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al-Missned, the wife of the Emir, who was central to Qatar’s final presentation to Fifa when the tiny gas-rich Gulf state won the right to host the 2022 World Cup finals last week, will share space on Barca’s kit with the current Unicef logo.

An official announcement of the deal is expected at lunchtime today.

So basically Barcelona are just like every other club and willing to take money from anywhere, no matter how morally dubious. Seems a bit of a coincidence that Pep whored the Qatar World Cup bid around and now they are being paid back with a massive shirt deal?

Few facts about Qatar:

According to U.S. Department of State's 2010 Trafficking in Persons Report, Qatar does not comply with minimum human trafficking standards, and has no anti-trafficking legislation.

Homosexuality is illegal

There are no laws in Qatar banning domestic violence

So much for the Unicef BS. More than a Club.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

when i first clicked in, i thought Xavi or Pique were spouting shíte about DNA again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't know... sounds like this Qatar Foundation do some good work. Anyway just because Barcelona were commended with what they did with Unicef shouldn't mean that they should then be villified for doing what every other club is doing anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Degag wrote: »
    I don't know... sounds like this Qatar Foundation do some good work. Anyway just because Barcelona were commended with what they did with Unicef shouldn't mean that they should then be villified for doing what every other club is doing anyway!

Only because they market themselves as More than A Club and have been so sanctimonious about the Unicef thing. I don't have a problem with club sponsorships, but it hardly reflects well on Barca or Pep's image that they were basically bought by Qatar to endorse their World Cup bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

How exactly are they going to share space ont he Jersey with Unicef? Sad to see it happen as i loved the no sponsorship on the jersey or the Unicef. But saying that seeing the club contine is more important, Barca have a lot of Debt and something had to be done.

People need to get over the Qatar WC bid too, these things happen, the English media make it sound like all they did was put forward there bid and did nothing else to try get the games in England. England played friendlies, offered free hotels for the olympics and bought hand bags or something for some wives of Fifa members. Also i can't imagine how Pep saying a few good words about the Qatar WC would be worth Qatar giving them a deal worth £140 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they could still support Unicef handsomely for all we know.

no way they should be made out to be cúnts for this.

business is business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This Barca hate really has taken off.

This Barca hate really has taken off.

It's just that when you set yourself up as some sort of crusading club in support of human rights and fair play that you are then held to a higher standard.

And to be then bought off by a pretty awful Middle Eastern state is hypocritical to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Only because they market themselves as More than A Club and have been so sanctimonious about the Unicef thing. I don't have a problem with club sponsorships, but it hardly reflects well on Barca or Pep's image that they were basically bought by Qatar to endorse their World Cup bid.

I cannot remember any incident, statement etc where they have been sanctimonious about the unicef deal and as for being 'More than a club' ask most ordinary Catalans what they feel about the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

It's just that when you set yourself up as some sort of crusading club in support of human rights and fair play that you are then held to a higher standard.

And to be then bought off by a pretty awful Middle Eastern state is hypocritical to say the least.

Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development is a private, chartered, non-profit organization in the state of Qatar, Founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar. Qatar Foundation focuses on education, scientific research and community development. Under Qatar Foundation’s umbrella are Education City which has universities, academic and training programs, and Qatar Science and Technology Park which has more than 21 companies involved in scientific research and development. Chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned, Qatar Foundation aims to enhance lives through community development initiatives including Doha Debates, Reach out To Asia and Al Jazeera Children's Channel. Joint venture partnerships in the areas of design, ICT, telecommunications, policy studies and event management contribute to fulfilling the objectives of the Qatar Foundation.

Reach Out To Asia (ROTA) is a charity initiative focused on assisting community development projects in Asian countries. It has responded to crises in places such as: Pakistan, Indonesia, Lebanon and Gaza.

Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra was established in 2008 and consists of 101 musicians. It aims to enhance musical culture in Qatar and beyond.

Al Jazeera Children's Channel is part of Qatar Foundation and is broadcast from Education City.

The Doha Debates, a Qatar Foundation initiative, are filmed at Education City and broadcast by BBC World.

Stars of Science is a reality show featuring young Arab innovators who compete to transform their ideas to marketable products.

Another broadcasting venture is Lakom Al Karar (‘the decision is yours’) a national televised discussion program with politicians in the country.

Other Qatar Foundation community development centers include: Qatar Diabetes Society, Social Development Center, Cultural Development Center, Al Shaqab and Doha International Institute for Family Studies and Development.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Foundation

Doesnt look like the kind of people that go around pulling out fingernails or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Barca are one of the biggest clubs in the worlld and a successful business.

The idea that they are some kind of workers collective/force of altruistic benevolence versus the fascist corporate monolith of Madrid is bogus anyway.

• Advertisement

MOG7 wrote: »

People need to get over the Qatar WC bid too, these things happen, the English media make it sound like all they did was put forward there bid and did nothing else to try get the games in England. England played friendlies, offered free hotels for the olympics and bought hand bags or something for some wives of Fifa members. Also i can't imagine how Pep saying a few good words about the Qatar WC would be worth Qatar giving them a deal worth £140 million.

My objection to Qatar has nothing to do with the English media reaction. It is because of the nature of the state of Qatar itself. No doubt, big money changed hands to land this bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

haters-gonna-hate-6x4.jpg

Before ye all jump to conclusions does anyone actually know anything about the Qatar Fiundation and the work it does?

Doesnt look like the kind of people that go around pulling out fingernails or anything like that.

It's just an offshoot of the Qatari royal family. And they do such good things that they have 140m left over to sponsor a football team?

But they're not.:confused:

The Qatar Foundation are (apparently) a private non-profit organisation helping with Education, Community Development and Scientific Research. Just because they are based in a country that you may not like or a country you may think is corrupt or reneging in human rights, doesn't mean that the organisation itself is bogus!

Sounds to me is that they are using the World Cup and hence, one of the biggest clubs in the world to get their name out and highlight the work that they do in the run up to the World Cup. What's wrong with that? There is nothing in that article that says it has anything to do with the Qatar state!

It's just an offshoot of the Qatari royal family. And they do such good things that they have 140m left over to sponsor a football team?
    You're letting you're contempt for Qatar get ahead of you. How much money every year do you think charities like Unicef etc spend on advertising etc? Millions! The idea is, that by spending money on advertising, your message will reach a higher audience and hence make more money than if you didn't advertise at all. Apparently only 10% of all contributions go to the people who need it. I'm not saying i agree with it, but apparently this is what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Laugh Out Loud

That is all.

But they're not.:confused:

The Qatar Foundation are (apparently) a private non-profit organisation helping with Education, Community Development and Scientific Research. Just because they are based in a country that you may not like or a country you may think is corrupt or reneging in human rights, doesn't mean that the organisation itself is bogus!

Sounds to me is that they are using the World Cup and hence, one of the biggest clubs in the world to get their name out and highlight the work that they do in the run up to the World Cup. What's wrong with that? There is nothing in that article that says it has anything to do with the Qatar state!

First off, how can a non profit organisation afford 140m to sponsor a football club?

Also, as in most Middle Eastern states like Qatar, these organisations exist as offshoots from the royal family. The chair of the organisation is is the second of the three wives of Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar according to wikipedia.

It's not the same as here. No organisations like this exist outside of the control of the royal family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

does it really matter? All clubs have sponsorship deals for their shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

This thread is trying far to hard to dig dirt when there is none to dig.

Quatar is a mega rich state. They will throw gazillions at this world cup, and this is part of it. A local charity wants to be associated with football and the 'more ethical than most' Barca brand. So fcuking what?

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »
    does it really matter? All clubs have sponsorship deals for their shirts

No they don't. A number of Spanish clubs wear regional flag colours and its considered disrespectful to sully those colors with a sponsor. Athletic Bilbao are the highest profile example. Barca had the same policy until about 5 years ago when they gave UNICEF free space, presumably so no purist fan could object, and then later sell the rights to a corporate company (as the theory goes).

Shirt sponsorshio is a huge bone of contention for a lot of clubs in Spain.

Also, as in most Middle Eastern states like Qatar, these organisations exist as offshoots from the royal family. The chair of the organisation is is the second of the three wives of Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar according to wikipedia.
    So what? That doesn't mean that the organisation is corrupt or anything like that. You are just making assertions to suit your own beliefs!

So what? That doesn't mean that the organisation is corrupt or anything like that. You are just making assertions to suit your own beliefs!

Well if the organisation is run by the Qatari royal family and you consider that to be corrupt and most importantly pretty heinous, which I do, then it is fair enough to assume the same about this organisation that Barca have sold out to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

No they don't. A number of Spanish clubs wear regional flag colours and its considered disrespectful to sully those colors with a sponsor. Athletic Bilbao are the highest profile example. Barca had the same policy until about 5 years ago when they gave UNICEF free space, presumably so no purist fan could object, and then later sell the rights to a corporate company (as the theory goes).

ok.... most clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Go support St. Pauli then, pinko ;)

Dig through ANY clubs sponsor and you will odds on find environmental, labour or assorted other nastiness. Thats before we look at swooshes, stripes or diamonds.

The idea that this charity are less ethical than the multinationals who sponsor most big clubs is surreal.

Dig through ANY clubs sponsor and you will odds on find environmental, labour or assorted other nastiness. Thats before we look at swooshes, stripes or diamonds.

The idea that this charity are less ethical than the multinationals who sponsor most big clubs is surreal.
    And i say it again!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

While i haven't looked into the bacra Qatar connection enough to comment.

I think it a disgrace that Qatar as a country got handed the world cup. It is akin to N-Korea getting it, if the N-Koreans had an even worse human rights record that is. The reason you hear less about Qatar is that they are incredibly rich and control a large portion of the oil that is so badly needed to keep our little countries running smoothly.

Hardly the point for people who think Barca are 'different'. It is not an indpeendent charity, every public body in that rotten state is controlled by the Qatari royal family anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I think its actually worse than other clubs. They used and abused a charity in order to transition to it. They took the charity on, took loads of plaudits about how they were more than a club, etc, etc, then did exactly what I expected, used it to transition to a commercial logo.

They basically used unicef in order to make money. They coulda had some balls and just switched straight away, but didn't. And te fact that they switched to a not-for-profit, who are still paying commerical rates, it says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

lordgoat wrote: »
    While i haven't looked into the bacra Qatar connection enough to comment.

I think it a disgrace that Qatar as a country got handed the world cup. It is akin to N-Korea getting it, if the N-Koreans had an even worse human rights record that is. The reason you hear less about Qatar is that they are incredibly rich and control a large portion of the oil that is so badly needed to keep our little countries running smoothly.

It's interesting if you compare football to athletics and the Olympic Project for Human Rights in the 60's, I'd love to see a similar movement in football, I'd be proud if, for instance, Ireland qualified for the 2022 world cup and the team refused to play in a country with such a poor record of human rights. I know a lot of people wouldn't, but I'd support action like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

PHB wrote: »
    Well I think its actually worse than other clubs. They used and abused a charity in order to transition to it. They took the charity on, took loads of plaudits about how they were more than a club, etc, etc, then did exactly what I expected, used it to transition to a commercial logo.

They basically used unicef in order to make money. They coulda had some balls and just switched straight away, but didn't. And te fact that they switched to a not-for-profit, who are still paying commerical rates, it says it all.

I think their financial state has changed since they started donating and wearing the Unicef logo.

Perhaps it's was needed for Barcelona to balance the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Trampas

It just proved that Unicef logo was a toe in the water and it was always their plan to get a big shirt deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Well I think its actually worse than other clubs. They used and abused a charity in order to transition to it.

They basically used unicef in order to make money.

I don't see how they 'used' Unicef. Unicef got 5 years of free exposure thanks to Barcelona. This deal today basically means they got 150million of free advertising. They both got something out of the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Jebus, bitter much? They sponsor UNICEF and have their logo on their jersey. They're still going to sponsor UNICEF and have their logo on their jersey, but as well as that they're going to have an actual sponsor on their jersey. Oh the horror of it all, what a horrendous club Barca really are. We knew it all along and now we've been vindicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People here need to relax.

Barca don't have tonnes of cash and as a result are getting a shirt sponsor. They seem to have gone with the highest bidder.

Yeah, they've enjoyed the fact that they've had UNICEF on their shirt but no more than any large organisation would publicise such charity work.

And 'mes que un club' didn't apply to the fact they don't have a shirt sponsor. It's more about the cultural roots of Barca.

Athletic Bilbao had to change this rule last season too, more than likely because of the financial strain, i believe there shirt sponsor Petronor are a business from the Basque region though.

Serious bitterness in this thread.

How dare a football club get a sponser's name on their jersey!

Barcelona should be banned from world football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

eh, no, it isn't. It is/was an issue at Athletic Bilbao and FC Barcelona but every other club has happily sought/worn commercial sponsorship for years.

Neither Athletic's nor Barcelona's colours are those of their local region and the fashion for mini regional flags on shirts is a phenomenon of the last few years and has nothing to do with sponsorship.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »

I think it a disgrace that Qatar as a country got handed the world cup. It is akin to N-Korea getting it, if the N-Koreans had an even worse human rights record that is.

Akin to North Korea getting it?

What utter nonsense.

Neither Athletic's nor Barcelona's colours are those of their local region and the fashion for mini regional flags on shirts is a phenomenon of the last few years and has nothing to do with sponsorship.

Eh?

800px-Flag_of_the_Basque_Country_by_Sabino_Arana.svg.png

athletic-bilbao-home-jersey-2005-06.jpg

spain_catalunya.png

barcelona_0910-home_shirt.jpg

Basque flag: green, white, red
    Athletic shirt: red and white (copied from Sunderland?)

Catalan flag: red and yellow
    FC Barcelona shirt: maroon and blue (copied from some Swiss canton?)

There are several clubs which wear the regional colours (am thinking of Celta, Betis, Oviedo, Murcia (?)) but as far as I know there has never been a debate at those clubs about not having a shirt sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Sandro Rossell always said he was open to getting a sponsor on the shirt. More a reflection of the change of presidency at the club than a cynical ploy of "dipping their toe in the water" by getting the Unicef sponsor or "showing their true colours".

The Barcelona hatred has gone into overdrive since the Real game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Basque flag: green, white, red
    Athletic shirt: red and white (copied from Sunderland?)

This is really not a good example to be using to try to support your argument...
    I do like how you swap the order from white and red in the first line, to red and white in the second line though.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This is really not a good example to be using to try to support your argument...
    I do like how you swap the order from white and red in the first line, to red and white in the second line though.

The red and white of Athletic have never had anything to do with the Basque colours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao#Uniform.27s_evolution
    Club colours

Equally debated, is the origin of the club colours. Although their first colours were blue and white stripes, in 1910 they switched to red and white stripes. There are three schools of thought about why this occurred. The most common theory is that they were changed out of deference to Sunderland and Southampton, cities where the original British founders were from.[3] Another is that an Athletic member was sent to Britain to buy a batch of blue and white tops but could not find any and returned with Southampton red and white tops instead. Perhaps the most credible theory, however, is that red and white striped tops were the cheapest stripes to make because the same combination was used to make bed mattresses. The left over cloth was easily converted into football shirts.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Great news - the biggest and best club in the world just keeps on getting bigger and better. Good to see Unicef will still be receiving money for being on the shirt too plus The Qatar Foundation is a non-profit organisation concerned primarily with education projects in the Middle East.

What a club, as Andy Gray says "Take a bow son".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Sandro Rossell always said he was open to getting a sponsor on the shirt. More a reflection of the change of presidency at the club than a cynical ploy of "dipping their toe in the water" by getting the Unicef sponsor or "showing their true colours".

The Barcelona hatred has gone into overdrive since the Real game.

It happens whenever their games come into focus to an EPL audience. The CL finals 08/09, CL final 06, Clasico when no other games were on etc. It'll ebb away again.

Unicef should be more than happy with Barcelona paying them to have Unicef on their shirt and be prominent forever more in some of the greatest moments in the football club with the achievements of the past 5 years on a world scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I haven't strayed onto the Daily Mail website by mistake have I. Let's all hate the Russians and the Qataris because England didn't get the World Cup, build a bridge get over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement