Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Controller for PC

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Recently picked up Need for Speed Shift and will be playing TDU2 next year on PC. Im looking for a good quality, responsive USB controller that'll work under Windows 7 and maybe even work as a wired controller for my PS3 too (though thats not a game breaker)

Anyone using a good controller that they would recommend? They are some nice looking Dualshock 3 clones on Amazon for small money which get decent reviews but I dont want to get an unresponsive piece of crap with a poor d-pad etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

PS2 pad with the USB adapter is the best i find all types of games.

using XboxCe means you can map it like an xbox controller for GFWL games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A free alternative (for existing PS3 owners)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I use my PS3 controller on my laptop with the USB cable as stated above for some games, mainly MAME. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Xbox 360 wired controller > everything else.

As you already have a PS3 controller, go for the suggestions above!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

marco_polo wrote: »

Cool, sounds perfect.

tman wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a 360 pad but I dont have a second PS3 controller so I would be better off getting something that would work on both PC and PS3.

Ill probably go with the suggestion from Marco Polo, but any suggestions for good USB controllers are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The reason that I suggested a 360 controller is that this is more of a recognised standard for PC games (especially GFWL games obviously!)

I tried playing a couple of games with my PS3 controller using the above drivers, but they just wouldn't recognise it (Dark Void Zero was one of them iirc)
    The wired 360 controller on the other hand worked perfectly!

Just a warning, there's obviously no harm in trying the free alternative out first of all!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah give the PS3 driver a go in these recessionary times, but the 360 controller is the biz for the PC if worst comes to worst.

For alternatives if the 360 one doesn't appeal, about.com have a top 10 PC controller list that you could do some research on, I am not aware of any controller that has dual PC / PS3 support though (Shame because pretty well any third party 360 controller like eth Saitek seems to work fine with the PC).

http://compactiongames.about.com/od/hardware/tp/gamepads.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah what the hell just use your PS3 pad?

In fact I bought a ps3 pad just to use on my laptop to play street fighter about a year before I considered buying a ps3.

Didnt go the 360 way due to lack of a decent d-pad on that yoke.

marco_polo wrote: »

Thats some serious spamware, good program but it trys to install some serious amount of ****e on your pc.

Avoid and rape it with all your spamware and antivirus programs.

Anyone know a non spam driver for the Ps3 pad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Best tutorial out there...

Tried, tested and used by me, a lot

The files required:
    Motioninjoy x64 Driver: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Motioninjoy Vibration Driver: Motionjoy vibration rar

NGO Unsigned Driver Override Program: http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

To use your PS3 joypad as a keyboard and mouse for games like C&C, sims, minecraft, use JoyToKey

• Advertisement

Are you using the Ds3 tool ?

Yes

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That ps3 solution is class! Wish I knew about it when I had my Ps3.

Oh well, have the wireless 360 pad and reciever and I havent had any problems.

Tallon wrote: »
    Yes

Check for wygibot and iobit tootbar in your registry.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Check for wygibot and iobit tootbar in your registry.
    Checked, nothing found

I'm running nod32 4 and SpyBot, and I do very regular scans. Just ran some scans, and nothing.

I take very good care in installing things and reading up before hand.

It's possible whatever copy you got was either infected or torrented

• Registered Users Posts: 83,317 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tman wrote: »
    I tried that for PS1 emulation... I regretted not getting a PS3 Controller :pac: But there are a lot of games - mostly but not exclusively GFWL titles that will pick up on and default to the 360 controller when its plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

There's also the fact that, as most GFWL games natively support the 360 controller, they will display the correct icons for the buttons when prompted.

Try doing a few QTE's that are displaying keyboard keys and you'll soon see the benefits of investing in a 360 controller.

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

check that out for PS pads wanting to be XBox pads, creates a D3d DLL , quite a handy program.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks lads! i'm getting a laptop soon which means more gaming on the PC. I tried using my PS3 pad on my desktop before but very figgity, only worked half the time. New laptop is win 7 x64 so will def be using the tutorial video.

Cheers!

Advertisement