Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy sledges or not to buy sledges that is the question!?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Right so here's the issue. Our supplier has a 40 foot container coming in in Mid Feb of sledges. So the question is (because we have to preorder them). To pre order 360 of them or not to preorder 360 of them.

Will it be snowy in Mid to late FEB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

That's a wee bit late, I reckon that whoever plans to buy sledges will have bought them by mid Feb. I wouldn't order if I were you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mid Feb? Nope :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If your buying for this Winter , nope I dont think so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Winger_PL wrote: »
    That's a wee bit late, I reckon that whoever plans to buy sledges will have bought them by mid Feb. I wouldn't order if I were you.

Well the issue there is the supply of sledges in the UK and Ireland ran out too early, so there's still a huge demand for sledges in both countries but no supply until Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

By February most of people will be totally fed up with all the snow, if there still is any snow left by then that is. I can see people wanting to jump on sledges in the first few weeks of the winter, but by February all that enthusiasm will be long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Next year stockpile the sledges in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Make 'em, some wood and 3/4 inch waterpipe curved up at the front for the runners-little rockets. This is for diy'ers I really shoulda read the opening post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Get them now, for next winter. Going to be the same next winter! (?):cool:

Nah i don't need them for next winter i can get deliveries in August. Think ill order 100 just to be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Nah i don't need them for next winter i can get deliveries in August. Think ill order 100 just to be safe

what price would you be selling them for and do you have a web presence where you can buy them (if they're reasonable!)
    although February might be too late. If you could get them for Christmas or Jan, might be better.

• Advertisement

We don't have a Web presence. We're only a single store based in the UK. Selling them for £9.99 which is £5 cheaper than everywhere else over here. Id say they were charging E20 + over in ireland?? Unfortunately their on a boat from China and won't be here till mid Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Unfortunately their on a boat from China and won't be here till mid Feb

wow that's a slow boat from China! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

forget the chinese sleds - these are utterly brilliant http://www.skippertoys.co.uk/sledge.html -- entirely hand made in suffolk since 1998! (that's when I got one of the first ones they made)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

I had one like that when I was a child, bought when we lived in Germany. Wish I'd kept it but I'm sure the kids would rather have a plastic thing like their friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Seen a flyer in Portlaoise for ones... €37.00

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When they have them in stock, you can get sledges cheaply in 53 Degrees North. Standard kids one for €18 (with brakes) and the cheapo one for around €8. All made in Norway BTW (Hamex)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Does anyone make the bent-wood type sledges?
    Like this...

toboggan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CarnTorres

We were out all day on ton's of bags ( 19 fertizlers bag rolled into one) and kayaks open up one of course, open of the boys had a plastic sledge he got was useless compared to the bags. But doubt if anyone would pay good money pay good money for bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

A girl got killed in Cork today while sledging, poor soul RIP :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1218/cork.html

I wonder is there safer sledges on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Stinicker wrote: »

Yes, you can get some with brakes, I saw some today in a shop in Letterkenny.

Here is a store selling some with brakes and some without.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Snow-sledge-brake-handles-/250736282703

The brakes take the form of handles that when pulled dig into the snow on each side. I think they may be independent for left and right so I expect you would be able to steer to a degree with them as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Stinicker wrote: »

Home made sledge they said :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sledges are great but please for the sake of children safety and your own conscience please get the kids to wear bicycle helmets. If they hit anything or are ejected from the sledge the head must be protected.
    The news tonight has reports of a fatality in cork with a sledge and she was just 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I heard on the news that they weren't on a sledge at all, but a sheet of election poster type material...they hit a tree.

Advertisement