Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I do here?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Ok, so story goes like this.

Was far from home on Wed of this week (approx 100 miles) and went in to a Topaz to fill up with diesel and grab a bite to eat.
    I went to pay the lady in the shop with my laser, and the payment was declined, now, haveing been paid my salary at the end of the month I knew i had money in my account (SHOULD) and to try it again, the woman produced the laser card terminal again, and again it was declined.

Went outside the shop to call the 24hr banking line, and according to the bank I was 400 + in the red!!!!

I immediately pressed 0 to speak to a customer care, explained my dillema and asked where the hell all the money from my salary, commision, and a recent paypal transaction from ebay had gone awol to, and basically they were unable to tell me at that point.
    I was told "it looks like management in your branch have put a hold on your account" and informed that someone from my branch would call me back asap.

Half an hour later, someone from my bank called me, explained that I had lodged a sterling cheque in my account for nearly 3k, and that wouldnt be cleared for 4 days, I told them to forget about that cheque, I knew it wouldnt be cleared for 4 days, but asked (in a very calm manner) where the rest of my funds had vanished to, again I was got a very evasive answer, and told someone would call me back again!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Anyways, a further 15 mins passed, and finally someone calls to tell me an error was made by the bank, the lodged the sterling cheque into my funds twice, therfor there was almost 6k waiting to be cleared, and over 3k of that had pulled my account into the red!

They then tolld me I would have access to my funds in the next half hour.

I have yet to receive a written apology, or explanation from the bank in question. I was extremely embarressed in the shop, and if truth be known was extremely frightened for a while that my money had disappeared/account had been hacked/ or i had fallen victim to fraud.

The question I am asking from boards members, is what course of action I should follow with the bank in question?

Should I be entitled to a written apology from the manager/branch in question, or perhaps even a little bit of compensation for my trouble?

Please, any advice given on how to proceed with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Just to be sure that I have the timelines right, am I right in thinking that this was sorted out within an hour and a half of noticing it? Half an hour to get a callback from the branch, another 15 minutes to get a second call back, another half an hour to correct your balance, plus time on the phone.

If that is the case, then I have to say the bank acted quickly, though I completely understand that from your point of view every minute felt like an hour. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, but when you brought the mistake to the attention of the bank, they sorted it out quickly. And whether we like it or not, mistakes happen in all walks of life.

I understand the need for a written apology, but I think compensation is going too far. Assuming that this is the only time it's happened to you, I'd suggest writing to the branch, asking for a re-assurance that steps have been taken that this will not happen again. Outline the specific circumstances you were in and ask them to confirm that no direct debits, standing orders, etc were affected. Also ask them to confirm you haven't incurred any cherges because of being in the red by so much. If the bank manager has any cop on, he/she will respond with an apology, and possibly some token gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

If you are unhappy, as you are, you can write to their complaints dept or changes banks. Looking for compo because an error was made is a bit rich, I would expect an explanation and apology if I wrote to them about the incident but thats about it.

you could have used a credit card for the payment once your laser failed surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Just to be sure that I have the timelines right, am I right in thinking that this was sorted out within an hour and a half of noticing it? Half an hour to get a callback from the branch, another 15 minutes to get a second call back, another half an hour to correct your balance, plus time on the phone.

Yes, in fairness it was sorted out within 2 hrs.
    If you are unhappy, as you are, you can write to their complaints dept or changes banks. Looking for compo because an error was made is a bit rich, I would expect an explanation and apology if I wrote to them about the incident but thats about it.

you could have used a credit card for the payment once your laser failed surely?

See, my point being, that I was at work, only had my laser card with me (and about a tenner in cash) I leave my cc's at home when theyre not needed.

My main point being (ref compo) is, its all very well for the banks to hammer us with charges for this that and the other when we go unauthorised overdratfs.
    Also, what if this, showing up on my record of accounts has a negative impact on my future ability to obtain finance etc?

Not out to get a few bob from the bank, but would like a token gesture of someo sort!

Mistakes like this are simply unacceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if it is BOI, their complaint dept are pretty good at getting this sorted out btw.

if it is BOI, their complaint dept are pretty good at getting this sorted out btw.

No, it was another bank which will remain anon......

but for a bonus question..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Gucky wrote: »
    Yes, in fairness it was sorted out within 2 hrs.

Longest two hours of your life I bet :D

Back in the "good old days", a colleague of mine got a bouquet of flowers from an AIB branch manager when someone in her local branch messed up her request for bank statements. It might be a completely different story these days though.

Not everyone has or prefers to use a credit card though, especially in this economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also, what if this, showing up on my record of accounts has a negative impact on my future ability to obtain finance etc?

Stuff like this doesn't show up on your credit report.

Really, it sounds like the turnaround time on getting this sorted was quite good. Write a letter, get re-assurance and an apology but that's about it. Mistakes happen, no-one died. I don't think compensation is really appropriate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would keep the sheet of your statement that shows this transaction. SOme thing similar but much smaller happened years ago with the same bank and I got free banking for a year(still have it!). But on my statement it had money going in out in out etc. Charges charges / refunded.... you get the picture. Keep it anyway in case it it brought up in further dealings with the bank.

Quick update guys.

Nearly one week on, and I have not heard anything from bank in question in the form of an apology. :mad:

Now...... To type out a snotty letter!

Advertisement