Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I call and see how this dog is doing?

• 10-12-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was out walking my dog last night when something awful happened. A retriever from a house across the street from where I was walking came careening across the road to investigate my dog. I could see it coming like it was happening in slow motion, there was a van coming down the road and he didn’t have a hope of stopping, as the retriever came out of nowhere. He hit the dog with tremendous force (I think I’ll be hearing that noise in my nightmares for a while). Amazingly, the dog got up and ran back into the back yard of its house. After checking that the guy in the van was ok (he was as white as a sheet) I called up to the house to tell them what had happened. There was only a young girl in the house and she was really upset so I offered to come in and see if the dog was ok. Miraculously the dog seemed fine, bar a cut on her leg (if you’d seen the accident, you would think no animal could walk away from it). I kept saying to the girl that the dog would still have to go to the vet, as there could be more damage than meets the eye.

After making sure her and the dog were ok and making sure that her parents would be home soon, I left (I had left my dog secured in their bathroom!). Now I can’t stop thinking about the dog and feel bad that I didn’t offer to take the dog to the vet, or at least wait til the parents came home. I’m really worried that they’ll think the dog is fine and not take her to the vet. I was thinking of calling down to them this evening to see how the dog is doing (I don’t know this family btw) Would that be really weird? I can’t stop thinking about it, but on the other hand I am nearly scared to call, in case the dog has died or they haven’t taken him to the vet. What do you think I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I would call down for definite. But thats me! If you are worried then do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would call down, I'm sure they would appreciate the efforts you made in pacifying the daughter (who must have gotten a fright) as well as the dog. As they were going to be home soon and the dog seemed reasonably fine I wouldn't worry about you not bringing the dog to the vet. As you said, you got a horrific fright too so might help you to see how the dog is doing. Sounds like he will be fine. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i would be more worried why the young girl was at home alone and left a stranger walk into the house :eek:

If it was me i would probally go back aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

jap gt wrote: »
    i would be more worried why the young girl was at home alone and left a stranger walk into the house :eek:

If it was me i would probally go back aswell

Sorry I wrote that badly, she wasn't a young girl, she was a teenager, I would say 14/15. I am a 31 year old woman and had a dog in an illuminous jacket with me, guess I don't look that threatening :D Think I will pop down this evening and maybe bring a treat for the dog (hope she is ok :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'd definitely call down, I'm sure they'd appreciate it and it'll put your mind at ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sounds horrible. It's awful when you see something like that. :( I hope you and the dog are both feeling better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yep id definitely call down to, i actually wouldnt hesitate tbh in case the dog has internal injuries. Dont beat yourself up, you did what you thought was right at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

if i was them i would appreciate you calling, would give them a chance to say thanks to you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They will def appreciate it OP!! I had texts from our guys "friends" over the last few weeks while he was on crate rest and it was lovely lol (he finished crate rest yesterday!!). He even got a card and chewey xmas bauble from one of his "friends" :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Call in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hi there,.

Can I first say as a Mammy to Three Kids and a Mammy to Three Dogs, fair play to you for having the compassion and the intelligence to check and make sure the situation was ok.

Yes would be my answer, I would most certainly go and visit them, if only to put some closure on it from where you stand.
    You did the right thing and it shows how important you feel the dog is that you have the compassion to speak with the driver and the young girl at the house.

You did everything you could have done, and possibly more,. The only emotion you should feel is pride, it is all to easy to pass the buck these days and you did not do that, even though none of what happened was as a result of anything you did,.

Let us all know what happens, I think in the society we live in today, a little bit of honest neighbourly behaviour makes us all feel better,.

Take care.

Bella.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

without a douth in my mind i'd call down as what was said before if it was ur dog u'd really appreciate it!! its a horrible thing to see and witness and u def did the right thing!!

really hope the dog is okay!!! nothing worse!! it'll really put ur consience at bay cause its an awful thing hangin over ya

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi. just curious but was this in salthill in galway? i was out there last wed and a retiever raced across the road to check out a basset on hte other side. the owners where in the park on hte right and i nearly got out and gave them a piece of my mind......

crally wrote: »
    hi. just curious but was this in salthill in galway? i was out there last wed and a retiever raced across the road to check out a basset on hte other side. the owners where in the park on hte right and i nearly got out and gave them a piece of my mind......

No, not Salthill, I'm near Fermoy in Cork, it's scary how much this happens. I see it all the time when I'm out walking. Exhuberant, unsecured dogs of course are going to run out to 'greet' other dogs, Owners need to realise that their dogs aren't safe when loose in the garden. To be fair, in this case, the girl in the house seemed really suprised that the dog was out. I got the impression it could've been a Steve McQueen job.

Thank you all for your kind remarks, I still feel bad that I didn't wait til the parents came home, but I got an awful fright when the dog got hit and don't think I was thinking straight.

I called down twice last night and no-one at home. I couldn't see any sign of the dog (had a quick peek over the back wall) so I'm hoping that he was securely locked up and not something worse. I think I'll keep calling til I get them home, I don't think I'm going to be able to leave it without finding out how the dog is.

Thanks again for all the replies, I lost a 16 week old puppy on the road 4 years ago when I was bringing her over to visit my inlaws so I have an absolute fear of dogs getting knocked over. I am obsessively worried about Libby if she is off the lead at all. She thought the whole thing was great, as she got a sniff round a strange house and got extra cuddles when we got home :).

bellapip wrote: »
    Hi there,.

Can I first say as a Mammy to Three Kids and a Mammy to Three Dogs, fair play to you for having the compassion and the intelligence to check and make sure the situation was ok.

Yes would be my answer, I would most certainly go and visit them, if only to put some closure on it from where you stand.
    You did the right thing and it shows how important you feel the dog is that you have the compassion to speak with the driver and the young girl at the house.

You did everything you could have done, and possibly more,. The only emotion you should feel is pride, it is all to easy to pass the buck these days and you did not do that, even though none of what happened was as a result of anything you did,.

Let us all know what happens, I think in the society we live in today, a little bit of honest neighbourly behaviour makes us all feel better,.

Take care.

Bella.

Thank you so much for this reply Bella, I actually felt quite emotional reading it!

Just a quick update, I called down and caught the parents at home on Saturday afternoon. They are lovely people and were so grateful to me for helping out after the accident. I had brought the dog a jumbone and got a hug for my trouble. The invited me in to see the dog and unbelievabley, she was perfect! They hadn't brought her to the vet which is a shame, but he said he has worked with animals a lot and had given her a really good check. She really did seem fine, so hopefully she has no hidden injuries lurking. She made short work of the jumbone anyway!

I would have been happier if she had seen a vet, but i'm just so delighted she is alive and well and got to give her a cuddle. So glad I called down, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

Hey there,

I am delighted you managed to get some closure on this, it's mad the things that keep us from settling.
    Now you know that you did the right thing, and if they have chosen not to bring their dog to the vet, then that's up to them, I too would have taken mine, but everyone to their own.

Well done.

Bella. :D

Advertisement